When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

"Hmmmm"..... What does it mean on here?

PeteM

I use hmmmm as in interesting.... let me chew on it for a bit.

This is the closest of all the previous comments to what I reckon it means... It indicates a kind of reserved contemplation, or that the user is of limited vocabulary... :)

Mockery.... I am used to :)

Thin skinned and old.... now that really hurts.... I need a man size tissue..... in fact so does that bird in F's post or she will.... :);)

So I guess really there is no one answer..... as with a lot of stuff that gets written its more about what the writer meant at the time and not what the reader inferred...

I need to learn to ignore it.... and stop being such a TW*T :)

Hmmmmmmmmmmm..........ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..........................................grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr..................umpah.....umpah.............................................maybe...........

Hmmmmmmmmmmm..........ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..........................................grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr..................umpah.....umpah.............................................maybe...........

What that? Your chat up line.. :)

Based on CONTEXT:

1.) Interesting. That is making me think about something I had not though of previously. A lesser version of "Wow".

2.) Something does not look right, something seems off. Questioning something.

3.) Stalling for time. (e.g. Hmmm, let me check to see if I can come up the fund$ to pay for what you are selling...)

It is a subjective response to objective cognitive dissonance on the part of the responder.

hmmmmmmmmmmm

; )

Bill

You lost me after.... " It is a...."

:)

Based on CONTEXT:

1.) Interesting. That is making me think about something I had not though of previously. A lesser version of "Wow".

2.) Something does not look right, something seems off. Questioning something.

3.) Stalling for time. (e.g. Hmmm, let me check to see if I can come up the fund$ to pay for what you are selling...)

Perfect explanation!

BTW: Germans use "Hmmm" very often (in German - probably assuming it's the same in English) and it's not supposed to sound rude at all.