When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5711 - long term usage opinions?

ninjagaiden

Folks,

I have my 4th rep on order from Joshua and I am thinking about my next purchase (always good to plan ahead).

I am thinking of something with a non chrono styling which is around 42-44mm in size but wears quite flush to the wrist. I#d like an ETA mechanism and a clear caseback to admire it. Case has to be SS.

Two watches come to mind are the Pam 286J (which has been on and off the wish list a lot) and the 5711/1A.

I like that the Nautilus is thin, and the styling is definitely distinctive. I was looking out for some feedback from people that have had them a while, specifically :

1. How much does it weigh?

2. How good is the blue on the dial?

3. The stuck on logo on the rotor - is it that much of a dealbreaker given how faithfully repped the rest of the watch is?

Thanks

N

The distinctive property of the blue dial on the gen is that the color depends on the lighting conditions, and viewing angle. In practice, you'll be more likely to be called out on the basis of who you are (and whether a $25K gen is credible on you), as opposed to the intrinsic properties of the replica itself.

The stickered rotor isn't a deal breaker for me. I for one think that the rotor and SW-200 movement (with its perlage) looks quite good. Honestly, who's going to expect you to take a $25K watch off your wrist and hand it to them (unless you were at gunpoint...)?

If you're unsure about it, just try to find it preowned on the forum. I got a preowned one with a blue dial on wrist-check for $275, as it had some wear on the bracelet, but it wasn't anything that a bit of careful masking, elbow grease, and cape cod didn't fix.

With the possible exception of my JLC Master Tourbillon, it is probably the best made replica watch I have. Exceptionally classy on the wrist.

Edited by calatrava

Thank you both. This is very helpful and I am definitely leaning towards this rather than the Pam 286. One more question if I may - even if the colour reproduction on the dial does not match the Gen, is it metallic / shiny rather than matt. I can live with the colour being out as long is the dial itself has some degree of light reflection to it.

Thank you both. This is very helpful and I am definitely leaning towards this rather than the Pam 286. One more question if I may - even if the colour reproduction on the dial does not match the Gen, is it metallic / shiny rather than matt. I can live with the colour being out as long is the dial itself has some degree of light reflection to it.

That would be interesting to know :)

I suppose the gen is miles ahead, but maybe the rep dial is beautiful on it's own?

@Calatrava : Exactly the feedback I needed! Once the Golden week holiday is over I am ordering one of these little beauties from Josh. The design is just timeless and for some reason reminds me of the Pan-Am logo. Thank you so much!

post-39549-0-49135100-1317812051.jpg

The Nautilus wears much smaller than the 286. It is a classic for those who know what it is. I think it is a good choice if you are trying to wear a more "under the radar screen" watch.

I suspect the perceived size of the Nautilus has to do with two things:

1. the size measurement is inflated by these two fat protrusions on either side, but if we only measure the outer diameter of the bezel, it is only 38mm.

2. the bezel is quite thick, so the dial is quite small at 27mm across.

• 2 weeks later...

Absolutely. Not only the Nautilus, but the Aquanaut as well.

Genta's stainless steel watches elevated steel sport watches to the quality designs of the horology world in the 70's.

The AP Royal Oak as well. Classic designs yet to be equaled. Look at the costs of these original designs in the vintage

watches we now so covet.

Genta designs are classic understatement of design perfection.

Edited by jeff g

Absolutely. Not only the Nautilus, but the Aquanaut as well.

Genta's stainless steel watches elevated steel sport watches to the quality designs of the horology world in the 70's.

The AP Royal Oak as well. Classic designs yet to be equaled. Look at the costs of these original designs in the vintage

watches we now so covet.

Genta designs are classic understatement of design perfection.

I don't think that the Aquanaut was directly designed by Genta, rather it was strongly influenced by the Nautilus that Genta designed.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...