When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Snowflake Love - All Hail the Dome!

Nanuq

I finally got my Tudor Snowflake put together and was happy as a pig in an orchard. :) But a small nagging voice kept after me... something was not quite right. :huh: Suddenly I realized this was my chance to go big with an UBERDOME project! :in_love:

So out came the tools and my stash of über rare NOS Superdome Tropic 39 crystals. I had bought four of the beasties, one lives on my 1665, I gave one away, and had two left. So I compared the revealed sidewall height of a T39 on my 1665 with the sidewall height of my service replacement T19 on the Snowflake, and went to work. I ground off material from the sidewall and then mounted it to check my progress, repeating the process until I got it where I wanted it.

Then tragedy struck ... I dropped the Superdome Tropic 39. In slow motion I watched it fall, diving like Babe Ruth reaching for first base as it fell.... and I missed it by that much. :cry2: I pulled its tattered remains out from under the Rover, and a huge pie shaped piece was broken off the skirt. Tragedy!! So out came the last one... the last soldier standing. It was do or die.

I repeated the process, grinding carefully to remove material and test fitting, and finally got it. I pressed it all together, checked for waterproofness :g: and I'm satisfied with the result.

Here's my "Superdome Tropic 19" that sprung from the loins of a NOS Superdome 39. I like the look.

All Hail the Dome! :notworthy:

snowflake_dome3.jpg

snowflake_dome2.jpg

snowflake_dome1.jpg

Guest zeleni kukuruz

It looks like [censored], even smells like it!!!

NOT!!!

Amazing cool retro tudor m8, im a sucker for tudors and i love yours!!! Congrates!!!

Thanks gents! My "modding" in the past has tended toward the barbaric (cough) so this attempt at actually improving a watch ... well it's very gratifying when it earns your approval.