When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Best way to strip AR on a 253

Mills

I've been searching around the forum looking for the best way to strip AR but I've not found all the information I need to confidently get this done. I've read that stainless steel polish is the way forward but there are lots of different brands and types so I wanted to get some clarification. I've also read that you have to be really careful when polishing your watch with a cape cod not to get it on the AR as it will strip it, but that's what I want to accomplish so would a cape cod do the job?

Couple of other points:

• I want to keep the crystal in the watch as it's mineral and the 253's are prone to shattering so I don't want to use a press on it. I'll remove the mechanism to strip the AR on the inside of the glass.
  • The watch has a purple AR applied. Not sure if this is important when deciding the approach.

I'll take photos of the process and post the results to help other noobs like myself accomplish this in the future.

I have used a cape cod on a few watches...my SA being the last.

The cc works better than anything else that I have tried...works really well for me.

Just be extra carefull If you have a brushed bezel.

Oh thats right..the Regatta has mineral....dont have any experence with that material.....sorry

Mike

Gotta be very careful if it's not sapphire.

+1.... these crystals are notorious for breakage due to numerous reasons including temperature changes, incorrect sitting etc

I have used stainless steel polish on minerals before without problem... but go slowly as it heats up quickly in your hand :)

Can I ask what 253 do you have? I guess its an old version given you have purple AR..

+1.... these crystals are notorious for breakage due to numerous reasons including temperature changes, incorrect sitting etc

I have used stainless steel polish on minerals before without problem... but go slowly as it heats up quickly in your hand :)

Can I ask what 253 do you have? I guess its an old version given you have purple AR..

I have both the older version with purple AR and the latest ultimate version without. I'm thinking of selling the older version or giving it to a mate but before I do, I wanted to strip the AR as it would annoy me every time I saw it on his wrist :-)

Thanks for the tip on the SS polish. Which product do you use?

Thanks mate... I know what you mean about giving it to your mate.... When I did the AR on an old 212... I didnt bother removing the crystal as I knew it was sited properly and didnt want to risk putting it back wrong so I used that polish on it with a low micron micro fibre cloth... I found it best to do it in natural daylight to catch the remenants of the AR as I removed it....

The stuff I used was made by 'Arthur Price of England' ..... according to the box its the stuff used by the Queen and Prince Charles.... but that always surprised me as I thought they would have someone to remove the AR for them !!! :);)

• 2 weeks later...