When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex cal. 1570

vlydog

I'm not sure what this means but I have a 1601 with a 1570 that was manufactured circa 1958-59. I bought it in Germany in 1963 for $450.00, brand new.

The balance shock springs look like the picture below (dial side is pictured). Most of the later 1570s have a more contemporary shock spring. The variety that I have is almost impossible to re-install if you ever let it get loose. This movement is labeled 1570 but I do not know if it is a 1530 or some other sub-model.

DialSideBalanceShockSpring.jpg

Read this.

The Calendar Ring(s) are the dead give away. There area a lot of eBay sales of DJ movements erroneously stating they are for Subs.

+1. This is the way to do it. The other trick is patience. I almost jumped the gun a couple of times, but waiting until the right one comes along is the trick. I ended up buying a full Rolex 1500 for the 1570 and sold the parts I didnt need. Ended up costing me less for the 1570 using this method then finding a loose 1570. But as always YMMV.

"The balance shock springs look like the picture below (dial side is pictured). Most of the later 1570s have a more contemporary shock spring. The variety that I have is almost impossible to re-install if you ever let it get loose. This movement is labeled 1570 but I do not know if it is a 1530 or some other sub-model."

The spring in the picture appears to be similar to springs used in many Etas. One easy way to r/r them is with a plastic tooth pick cut off to a slightly smaller diameter than the spring with a dimple in the center. Press down and twist to release or install the spring.

A wood tooth pick may work but it might leave tiny pieces of wood behind.

"Are there any visual clues that can help determine if a Rolex cal. movement 1570 is from a 1500 or a 1600?"

The only difference is the calendar spacer.

A DJ calendar spacer can probably be trimmed down to OPD size if you have a sample to go by (and a lathe). I never tried it though.

Date vs no date...

1570/75 date hour wheel is 1.8mm high

no date is 1.27mm.

1570/75 canon pinion is 2.75mm high

no date is 2.23mm.

Same goes for 1530/35, 1560/65.

1565/1575 GMT hour wheel is 2.2mm high

cp is 3.15mm

The sweep second pinions are the same, the difference is in the length of the tube on the ss hand.

If you use a 1570/75 date mvt in a no date watch (1016 etc) with the calendar parts and calendar spacer removed, you will need shorter hour wheel and canon pinion or the hands will be too far from the dial.

"The balance shock springs look like the picture below (dial side is pictured). Most of the later 1570s have a more contemporary shock spring. The variety that I have is almost impossible to re-install if you ever let it get loose. This movement is labeled 1570 but I do not know if it is a 1530 or some other sub-model."

The spring in the picture appears to be similar to springs used in many Etas. One easy way to r/r them is with a plastic tooth pick cut off to a slightly smaller diameter than the spring with a dimple in the center. Press down and twist to release or install the spring.

A wood tooth pick may work but it might leave tiny pieces of wood behind.

I have done that with the three pointed springs on the ETAs but this spring is not like that. It has a little hook at one end that hooks over the edge of the brass rim and the other end turns into an indent in the brass track. I'm going to have to take it somewhere and get it installed. I may be missing something but just can't get it in. Same old story, huh? lol