When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Problem with TD/Vendor...Suggestions? Am I crazy?

watchaddict

Let me start off with saying I am a relative Noob so I am here to get an opinion rather than call a vendor out at the moment.

Background:

I have purchased 4 pieces from this vendor in the span of 4 months and everything has been flawless until this last purchase.

Problem:

Today I received a new PAM000 from the vendor and at first glance it looked great. This particular piece was for a friend as I purchased one for my self earlier this month. Upon opening the package everything looked fine. Watch was dead (expected). I went ahead and opened the clasp to wind it up and this is where the trouble began.

1) The crown was almost impossible to turn. I am talking about harder than any other watch I have ever wound up. I was able to give it maybe one or two winds. The watch began to tick then stopped. Weird. I put my ear to the watch and nothing. As I am moving it around I hear what sounds like pieces moving around freely inside.

2) I email vendor and immediately he responds. He tells me it needs to be wound, I need to open the clasp, etc. I explain that I am quite familiar as I have the same watch already (including a gen) and something is off. He tells me to open the watch up. I explain I am a noob but he says to go ahead anyways.

3) Watch is open and there are a total of 3 loose pieces. Two screws and some other piece that looks like a washer or something of the nature.

4) he says to send it back for a replacement.

My questions:

1) Should I risk sending it back to China before receiving the new piece?

2) I have already told him I feel uneasy about this and he says this is the only way.

3) Should I be responsible for shipping? It seems like I should not have to spend a penny as the watch is brand new...

Any input would be appreciated.

If you do not want to send back the watch to me.. How you expect this problem to be resolved ?

Your problem as explained to you is likely due to shipping ....

My packing ... its proven and many can vogue for that . I provide probably the best packaging in this business.. But things do still happens... I did my best to minimize it .

QC Pics of the watch in working condition have been sent to you for approval before I shipped out the package.

You approved the pics and agreed to my terms and conditions. It states clearly you need to send back at your expense if the need arises.. FYI.. Registered airmail cost USD 10 to 15.

You should be glad I am still attending to you .... Since this morning .. we exchange numerous emails over the last 3 hours. . My replies to you is almost instant .. It shows I am keen to assist you ..and the best way is to send it back to me....... .. this is part and parcel about this game and when purchasing on the internet..

When you buy something from your shopping mall.. brought it home and have some problems. You bring the item back to claim a replacement ..Do you think you can claim your fuel cost or your cab fare from the shopping mall ?

I never doubt if the problem is self inflicted .. I acknowledges the watch has a problem and you need assistance.. I am here.. responding to your every mail.. I am not running away from it ... So ... There is no need to wash your dirty laundry in public.

The ball is in your court.

Thanks

Joshua

Perfect Clones..

You have two choices. Send it back and pay for one way shipping and wait for it's return, or have it fixed locally. If it's something simple, it's often easier, and not much more expensive, just to take care of it yourself.

It's all part of the game. Be glad you have a dealer that's as good as Joshua about taking care of problems. There's probably none with better customer service.

If it's something simple, it's often easier, and not much more expensive, just to take care of it yourself.

It's all part of the game. Be glad you have a dealer that's as good as Joshua about taking care of problems. There's probably none with better customer service.

This is the type of info I was looking for. Thank you!

I agree Josh has been excellent since day one. That is why I continue and will continue to purchase from him.

In full agreement you should send it back. From my perspective the minute you have a real issue it should be sent back whether for replacement or refund. That depends on the dealer and the problem. Dealer certainly can't replace or refund without the watch being back in their possession. Obviously these things don't happen on purpose - otherwise they would be out of business.

The one other thing I would add is never go the route of getting it repaired locally. The minute you go that route you have abrogated all your rights and it is no longer the dealer's problem. Most problems I see stem from folks who for whatever reason are not willing or don't want to send it back and then end up in a complete screw up. "The repairs were too expensive", "the repairman did not successfully repair it", etc. I feel so strongly about it that I would tell folks who aren't willing to send back a defective watch to China not to buy a rep in the first place.

Personally I would send it to a reputable modder/watchguy get it sorted and have a service , 'kill two birds with one stone'

Thats all I would do mate and have done :)

In full agreement you should send it back. From my perspective the minute you have a real issue it should be sent back whether for replacement or refund. That depends on the dealer and the problem. Dealer certainly can't replace or refund without the watch being back in their possession. Obviously these things don't happen on purpose - otherwise they would be out of business.

The one other thing I would add is never go the route of getting it repaired locally. The minute you go that route you have abrogated all your rights and it is no longer the dealer's problem. Most problems I see stem from folks who for whatever reason are not willing or don't want to send it back and then end up in a complete screw up. "The repairs were too expensive", "the repairman did not successfully repair it", etc. I feel so strongly about it that I would tell folks who aren't willing to send back a defective watch to China not to buy a rep in the first place.

Point noted.

Personally I would send it to a reputable modder/watchguy get it sorted and have a service , 'kill two birds with one stone'

Thats all I would do mate and have done :)

If I were to go this route who would you suggest for a PAM000...?

Thanks everyone.

If you send it back, be patient; If it does not vanish into Chinese black hole, you will see it again in a month.

Otherwise, have a trusted repair tech fix it at your own expense in your country or as close to you as possible.

Personally I understand that this kind of problem is an accepted part of our hobby and would have a trusted repair tech on the forums fix it on my own dime, and call it even. I would never send something back to China. Altho it is great that the TDs offer this service, I would never use it.

If you send it back, be patient; If it does not vanish into Chinese black hole, you will see it again in a month.

Otherwise, have a trusted repair tech fix it at your own expense in your country or as close to you as possible.

Personally I understand that this kind of problem is an accepted part of our hobby and would have a trusted repair tech on the forums fix it on my own dime, and call it even. I would never send something back to China. Altho it is great that the TDs offer this service, I would never use it.

I can only speak for the U.S. but over a 7+ year period I have had to return at least a half a dozen watches to different dealers to China and none ever got lost. More importantly, once you take it on yourself it is your nickel. And by the way, more often than not the dealer would actually send me a new one rather than making me wait for the repair. They just want to get yours first to make sure you didn't make it worse or inflict the damage in the first place.

More importantly, once you take it on yourself it is your nickel. And by the way, more often than not the dealer would actually send me a new one rather than making me wait for the repair. They just want to get yours first to make sure you didn't make it worse or inflict the damage in the first place.

+1

What WM is saying is right but going by how much it would cost to return and the fact I would and do have all my watches serviced its just swings and roundabouts the only thing that it will really cost you if you are or would consider a service and do return to Jos is time..

I say that based on your comments regarding the fault itself... ie The movement... if it were anything in respect of the body etc then I would return it too...

• 2 weeks later...