When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

toywatch?

urbanshogun

Hey guys, i'm getting my mother a watch for her birthday as she's dropped pretty heavy hints that she wants one. But I dont think she'd bother with automatics and setting the time when she doesnt wear it for a day or so, so I was looking for reasonably priced quartz gens (they are all quartz after all).

And I found toywatch. I was wondering, how do they get away with just making a rolex design out of plastics? A submariner, explorer, daytona... they're all there. Surely rolex would have some issue with this? If Ford made a car thats body was the exact copy of a 360 modena, changing some minor details in the materials, there would be lawsuits flying like no one's business. Or when samsung use some of apple's code in a phone, samsung get a europe wide sales bar put on their phone! Why are toywatch still allowed to operate?

what's the deal?

Homage watches are commonplace. They leave off the branding and trademarked markings.

You could also buy her a quartz replica of a quartz genuine watch, like the ladies Chanel ceramic models ... Even genuine models come in quartz for women, so the reps are quartz too.

Homage watches are commonplace. They leave off the branding and trademarked markings.

You could also buy her a quartz replica of a quartz genuine watch, like the ladies Chanel ceramic models ... Even genuine models come in quartz for women, so the reps are quartz too.

This is the rout I would most likely take...also take a look at some of the ladies Tags..some are actually very nice.

Im sure your mother would be Impressed...unless she has personal issues with replications

good luck. :)

Mike

My Mum sounds like yours when it comes to watches... also has small wrists so I got her a TAG Link Quartz, MOP dial date etc.... she loves it had it 2 years and she wears it every day still looks great and I have to say the only flaws I could find to the gen was the model number on the caseback and the stamping depth of the TAG emblem on the clasp..

She has had a few 'watch officienados' cast their eye over it and declare it gen !!

Best money I ever spent on a watch :)

Sorry forgot about the original point !

I think the law is different on copyright if the item is deemed a childs toy in fact there was a lot of laws that could be circumvented through designating an item a childs toy....

My Mum sounds like yours when it comes to watches... also has small wrists so I got her a TAG Link Quartz, MOP dial date etc.... she loves it had it 2 years and she wears it every day still looks great and I have to say the only flaws I could find to the gen was the model number on the caseback and the stamping depth of the TAG emblem on the clasp.. She has had a few 'watch officienados' cast their eye over it and declare it gen !! Best money I ever spent on a watch :) Sorry forgot about the original point ! I think the law is different on copyright if the item is deemed a childs toy in fact there was a lot of laws that could be circumvented through designating an item a childs toy....

Toywatch is not literally a brand of watches for kids.. They're mostly homage watches and I actually find some of the designs pretty cool.. The Richard Mille homages are pretty awesome! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

The point I was trying to make was if they use the name toywatch etc that might be how they get round the branding... I did not mean the watch was for kids :)

Its the loophole I was referring to mate ;)

• Like 1

The point I was trying to make was if they use the name toywatch etc that might be how they get round the branding... I did not mean the watch was for kids :)

Its the loophole I was referring to mate ;)

LOL i couldnt help laughing and liking this post of yours.. it may not mean to be hilarious but somehow it is haha..

"what's the deal?"

The toywatch description:

"Constructed using strong yet supple matt silicon."

"supple matt silicon" equals what is commonly called 'jelley watches' in the watch business. A friend owns a watch store and he sells all kinds of jellies for $19 each/2 for $30 and they cost him $8 each in lots of 100...they are branded 'Geneva'. In the summer tourist season he sells 300 a week.

He used to also carry a line of 'hard clear' plastic rolex look-alike watches for the same price. He had submariner, gmt, and ym styles...I have a leftover 'submariner' with mop dial(!) hanging on the wall.

What I am trying to say is that these are $20 watches under other brand names, not $150 watches so it pays to shop around.

"You could also buy her a quartz replica of a quartz genuine watch, like the ladies Chanel ceramic models."

A better choice imho for about the same price of a toywatch.

Thanks for the answers guys! I suppose the people that are buying these watches will never even consider buying a gen Rolex so it doesn't hurt sales much.

I didn't want to get my mum a rep, because it's my mum! I can't have her wearing a rep. also, I left it a bit late for a rep; her birthday is on Sunday. I settled on this ceramic and stainless tissot. when compared to reps I guess it was pretty expensive at £290, but it's a Swiss watch with a three year warranty.

I think I'd have a problem gifting a rep too... They just come wrapped in plastic! A gift needs a box IMO. Although having said that I gave my brother an upo.

I tried on the new aquatimer while I was there. What a watch. I want a rep please.

3aarS.jpg

Edited by urbanshogun