When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The Patek Philippe Calatrava Collection

calatrava

At least the Submariner is an iconic legacy, and it's Automatic. Besides, Rolex is more than a watch. You're talking about the undisputed Crown of Achievement ;)

I've seen very basic PP Quartz Calatravas in preowned condition selling for $6k and above on eBay, I wonder what PP GREATEST achievement is other than pumping auctions and buying back their own models to be displayed in their PP museum in Geneva.

Still unjustifiably overpriced to me..

Best,

At least the Submariner is an iconic legacy, and it's Automatic. Besides, Rolex is more than a watch. You're talking about the undisputed Crown of Achievement ;)

I've seen very basic PP Quartz Calatravas in preowned condition selling for $6k and above on eBay, I wonder what PP GREATEST achievement is other than pumping auctions and buying back their own models to be displayed in their PP museum in Geneva.

Still unjustifiably overpriced to me..

Best,

Wow, I don't know where to begin. Patek pioneered the wrist-watch (1868), and received patents for the keyless watch (1845), perpetual calendar (1889), double chronograph (1902), gyromax balance (1952), first quartz watch (1959)... the list goes on. Look Rolex has its own share of horological achievements, most notably for the first truly waterproof and dust proof watch, but both Patek and Rolex are unjustifiably overpriced, and much of this is driven by marketing.

It's fine if you think a Patek is overpriced, but most watch experts would consider the Patek Calatrava to be the quintessential dress watch. By their very nature, dress watches are supposed to be understated and elegant. The price is in the quality of the finish of the case, and the movement.

Maybe in your social circle, the Rolex is the undisputed crown of achievement, but there are many who would consider a Rolex to be declasse, and this is why Carla Bruni gave Nicolas Sarkozy a Patek Philippe to replace his gold Rolex Presidential when they got married.

Look, it's clear from each of our respective avatars where our tastes lie. I'm willing to concede that a Patek is overpriced but I don't think it is any more overpriced than a Rolex. I think you're primarily responding to the genre of dress watches in general, and I assume they don't appeal to you. But not every $20K watch has to be a 18K gold watch and bracelet, or something studded with diamonds, to justify its cost. The reality is that all luxury watches are overpriced in their own way, and indeed, this is part of their appeal.

Edited by calatrava
  • Like 4

Guest zeleni kukuruz

Wow, I don't know where to begin. Patek pioneered the wrist-watch (1868), and received patents for the keyless watch (1845), perpetual calendar (1889), double chronograph (1902), gyromax balance (1952), first quartz watch (1959)... the list goes on. Look Rolex has its own share of horological achievements, most notably for the first truly waterproof and dust proof watch, but both Patek and Rolex are unjustifiably overpriced, and much of this is driven by marketing.

It's fine if you think a Patek is overpriced, but most watch experts would consider the Patek Calatrava to be the quintessential dress watch. By their very nature, dress watches are supposed to be understated and elegant. The price is in the quality of the finish of the case, and the movement.

Maybe in your social circle, the Rolex is the undisputed crown of achievement, but there are many who would consider a Rolex to be declasse, and this is why Carla Bruni gave Nicolas Sarkozy a Patek Philippe to replace his gold Rolex Presidential when they got married.

Look, it's clear from each of our respective avatars where our tastes lie. I'm willing to concede that a Patek is overpriced but I don't think it is any more overpriced than a Rolex. I think you're primarily responding to the genre of dress watches in general, and I assume they don't appeal to you. But not every $20K watch has to be a 18K gold watch and bracelet, or something studded with diamonds, to justify its cost. The reality is that all luxury watches are overpriced in their own way, and indeed, this is part of their appeal.

+1

I think Za is smoking some Bad [censored] :D

I agree. Rolex crowns achievement like a BMW crowns achievement. It is a great and recognisable brand + excellent quality. But pretty far from the top.

There is no doubt that Patek is a very classy watch. The detailing has to be experienced at close hand and does not show well on most pictures.

I fear that many members here only really know the reps of Patek. But remember that even within the rep-world most of these are from the lower end.

Low volume and low price makes it hard to make a close rep.

If I could afford it, I would prefer the Gen Patek over the Gen Rolex. In the rep world it is the other way round.

Rolex reps have the advantage of economy of scale. Thus they can be a much bigger bang for the buck than a rep Patek.

Edited by mbjoer

+1

I think Za is smoking some Bad [censored] :D

lol Ze ;)

well.. Calatrava thinks Patek is the ultimate timepiece for a good reason, but don't creep me out again with such comment because I was really smoking something.

He quotes Carla Bruni who's to many of us nothing more than an average celebrity with unsuccessful musical career and enough Italian Genes to attract the French dwarf PIMP. I'm sure he could give better examples had he wanted to, and so I'm not gonna list the names of celebrities who would KILL for a ROlex, Cala knows them better, but I dare him if he has enough guts to do part 1:20 of the clip, even with a Patek Rep :p

Enjoy the vid guys ;) it's really awesome (the music was exclusively composed for Rolex).

Rolex or Patek.. who cares? It's not like we're shareholders or anything.. Most of us hardly owns a Genuine Casio.

Edited by zaza

but I dare him if he has enough guts to do part 1:20 of the clip, even with a Patek Rep

Wearing a dress watch while playing tennis would be like wearing a dive watch to a black tie event, just a bit silly, and quite inappropriate.

In any case, I don't think it makes a difference what an ETA movement is encased in inasmuch as its ability to withstand shock and vibration. I suspect that the Calatrava and Nautilus cases will do as good a job of protecting the movement as a Rolex submariner case.

Edited by calatrava

zaza, if you're not a fan of dress watches, have you considered these dressy sports watches instead? They are the Audemars Piguet Royal Oak, Patek Philippe Nautilus, and Vacheron Constantin Overseas.

While I was originally going to get the Rolex GMT IIC in gen form, I decided to go with the Vacheron Constantin Overseas first, since it was comparable in price, and a much nicer watch (in my opinion) for the price. The photos below are of the replicas though.

DSC00767.jpg

DSC00784.jpg

DSC00782.jpg

DSC00785.jpg

Edited by calatrava

By the way, this video might help you understand why Pateks are so expensive. Mainly, it has to do with the hand finishing steps for the movements.

Some photos of the genuine Patek 5127.

8_5127_front_1.jpg

8_5127_back_1.jpg

5127_01_l.jpg

5127_02_l.jpg

5127_03_l.jpg

This is a photo of the 315SC automatic movement in the Patek Calatrava 5127.

cal315_sil_prwl.jpg

as compared the 3135 movement in the Rolex submariner.

3135jockerev.jpg

Edited by calatrava

The collection is truly extravagant Cala..

I've always wanted to own the APROO.

The nautilus is classic! I love it.

You don't seem a big fan of Chronographs are u.

Will check the vid and leave my comment as soon as I get back on my Mac.

Cheers,

The collection is truly extravagant Cala..

I've always wanted to own the APROO.

The nautilus is classic! I love it.

You don't seem a big fan of Chronographs are u.

Will check the vid and leave my comment as soon as I get back on my Mac.

Cheers,

Well, if it's chronographs you want, this is part of my collection. I also have a Alpha Paul Newman Daytona homage, but don't have a photo handy.

Seagull 1963 Airforce chronograph

DSC00949.jpg

Patek Philippe chronograph (incoming)

2.jpg

Vacheron Constantin chronograph

1.jpg

Edited by calatrava

You guys are funny. I have several gen Rolex watches. My "grail" watch, if it's any consolation, is a Calatrava in white gold when I'm finally in the six figures range :1a:

And as to date, my most prized piece is a very simple solid gold seconds at 6 Vacheron dress watch from the late 50s I took as part of a trade. (And you don't want to know how much of a steal I got it for!)

the Patek rep I really would like to own is the one in the movie Drive. Although it is a rep that does not have a gen counterpart..

http://www.gq-magazi...rive-film-movie

They bought a couple of these Miyota quartz powered watches and had a company print patek on the dial. They sell for around 15 Euros..

26042d1240875228-nonamret7.jpg

drivewatch_gq_16sep11_lk8t.jpg

Edited by Tom Hawkes
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

If you ever make it to Geneva, make sure you go to the Patek Museum! It was awesome. Security was crazy as you can imagine. Funny thing, most of the "Security Guys" (X-Military Looking) were wearing what looked like G-Shocks!!!

From who did you purchase these? Thanks

The first (clone ETA) was from Trevor <trevor123.bobo@gmail.com>, and the rest (asian 21j) were from Taobao. This is a link for the second one:

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=12458721378

The other two were also from Taobao, but the third one can be purchased from the TDs here, and the last one seems to be discontinued.

If you ever make it to Geneva, make sure you go to the Patek Museum! It was awesome. Security was crazy as you can imagine. Funny thing, most of the "Security Guys" (X-Military Looking) were wearing what looked like G-Shocks!!!

What were you expecting them to wear? Patek Nautiluses?

Very nice collection calatrava! Its good to see the support from both PP and Rolex, both have their own interesting histories in horology and made their marks. The only PP I own is a MBK Nautilus, a very fine timepiece I must say. I think of PP as the 'Bentley' of watches ;) Recently I'm being drawn to one of their dress models, the Calatrava seems like the one!