When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Tap movement to start?

tonyp1

"This has probably been answered before but could not find it. Anyways my watches tend to sit unused. Ive noticed a few of them need a lite tap to get started.. This is after crown is wound to full power reserve. Is this normal?"

Normal? Yes and no.

If it is a little bit 'out of beat' the balance will sometimes not self start on windup but will usually take off if you twist the watch back and forth a few times to get the balance wheel (not the winding rotor) in motion.

You can also set the time ahead slowly a few minutes after winding the watch if it will not self start as this will usually start it running.

If you have to shake it like it is on fire or remove the caseback and start the balance wheel moving with a tool of some sort...you have problems.

"Damn, I got 5 or so of these watches like that. 4 asian eta's and one seagull. What members repair reps? How much does a rep cost to service?"

"4 asian eta's"...asianetas may be worth cleaning/oiling depending on the cost. Best call is to replace DOA asianetas with a swissetas if the watches are keepers..but then you still have the problems that come with worn or dirty movements if the swisseta is not new. Money is better spent to c/o swissetas than asianetas imho.

I am referring to 2824/36 asianetas, I do not know anything about asianeta 2892 clones.

"one seagull"...the seagull ST16 is a pretty good movement but not really worth paying for c/o imho, ST6 is even less of a c/o candndate.

CH/DG (Miyota clones) are not worth c/o either, replacement is usually a better option.

I like the Seagull ST16 a lot better than CH/DG (Miyota clones) because of the more efficient Seiko type 'magic lever' winding system.

I never had a CH/DG with much running reserve...sometimes have to 'shake 'em up' in the evening to make it through the night. I keep getting the urge to flatten them out with a hammer. :hammer:

You're looking at 80 to 120 usd each for a nice service of these normal non-chrono movements.

Look at it this way ... if they were genuine, you'd have to pay 500 to 750 each for the exact same service.

You forgot to mention where in the World you live, so we can point you to the closest repair people.

This has probably been answered before but could not find it. Anyways my watches tend to sit unused. Ive noticed a few of them need a lite tap to get started.. This is after crown is wound to full power reserve. Is this normal?

If you are going to wear the watch it's no use to wind it to full power. The winding gears in an ETA self-winding movement are not as robust as the winding gears of a manual wind watch. I normally give mine about 4 winds and then turn it to start it and put it on. It will wind very quickly, depending on activity.