When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Interesting: PAM 318 Movement revelation

dluddy

I suppose people who are not from the USA will be unfamiliar with the saying but when you "sell someone the Brooklyn Bridge" you have taken advantage of their naiveté ...

So for a watch with the Brooklyn Bridge on the case back ..... this is very fucking hilarious.

• Like 1

Im confused - the PAM318 has a OP XXIX movement

TimeKeeper's Comments:

- Please have yourself a look at ONE OF THE FIRST AND ONLY AVAILABLE Panerai PAM 318 L Special "NY Boutique" Edition a.k.a. Brooklyn Bridge watches!!!

- Special Edition only offered out of NY Boutique. 150 Pieces only.

- This watch is SOLD OUT (until now, only available through NY boutique) and EXTREMELY RARE!!!

- Incorporates EXCLUSIVE MOVEMENT that is not available in any other Panerai watches other than the Brooklyn Bridge (not exactly sure why) NOT COSC CERTIFIED - Panerai OP XXIX Calibre

Not only is it one of ETA's least expensive manual movements, it's also low-beat vs. the high-beat movement used in the 005.

And welcome to the world of luxury goods. When has a luxury item ever been priced according to the actual value of the parts involved in producing it? It costs a fortune to market most luxury goods... the overhead/expense in getting a watch in small #'s like the 318 to the Boutiques is mind boggling.

When the 318 was released in 2009, it's msrp of $4200 was $300 less than the 005.

• Like 1

I suppose people who are not from the USA will be unfamiliar with the saying but when you "sell someone the Brooklyn Bridge" you have taken advantage of their naiveté ...

So for a watch with the Brooklyn Bridge on the case back ..... this is very [censored] hilarious.

The best comment from Risti:

"Instead of the Brooklyn Bridge, the Manhattan Bridge would have been more befitting. It's closer to Chinatown..."

Priceless, absouletely priceless......too funny...

That is the "Standard" grade ETA, the lowest of the low, cheapest model made, wholesale cost would be less than $50.00.

Most of the responders are missing the point, focusing on the fact that the movement is not "engraved", engraving is nothing more than lipstick on a pig and misses the point, the point is that it's a run of the mill surplus ETA.

Every watch manufacturer does this, TAG has a $4000.00 model with a $16.00 plastic quartz movement inside.

• Like 1

I sense a new mega-drama developing on 'risti ... now that all the drama related to 360 is (mostly) over, something new was bound to happen

I love how some of the folks there defend Panerai ... some of my favorites:

"...but it's a shame when those customers bash the base models that obviously aren't for them in the first place. "

"...I don't see what everyone is crying about? The way a movement that isn't displayed looks? Then claiming the exact same movement would somehow be better if it was pretty? That is ridiculous to me.... "

Talk about living in denial :) :) And I agree with The Zigmeister, most of people there are missing the point about merits of this movement vs. other PAM 6497-based movements ...

On a positive note, I'm now so glad I snatched 318 CB few weeks ago, I'm sensing my first super-franken coming. And I might even take to an AD and ask for authenticity check 8)

regards

So for a watch with the Brooklyn Bridge on the case back ..... this is very [censored] hilarious.

LOL!

IRONY!

I'm with PeteM. Kick back with a bowl of popcorn and watch the hilarity ensue.