When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

GMT IIc advice please

wat44

For a long time, I had wanted a fantasy GMT II in pepsi ceramic

everyone told me I would be waiting for a long time...

so I was quite surprised and happy when they came out.

I bought one from Replicamake. There is a bit of a story to this, which I wont bore you all with right now...

Anyway, the movement it came supplied with (Offshore might be able to chime in here and tell you what it might be) was broken on arrival. Lay sent out a replacement mvt, but alas it was not a straight swap over - ie the wrong movement.

I have a very hard working man on the job trying to get this movement, but for many months now and no success

The advice I am after is this: should I buy a new mvt with new hands to fit? if so, what should I buy? from where? and how much (just ballpark) would I be up for?

any help appreciated!!!

thank you

Ok from the info you are giving us, you have a GMT IIc with an Asian ETA clone movement and GMT complication.

You are asking if a gen Swiss 2836-2 with GMT complication off of eBay will work in your watch.

I can not be certain that the asian GMT complication uses compatible hour/min/gmt wheels as the Swiss version .. thus I do not know if the hands will fit.

A good watchsmith can increase/decrease the hole size in your hands to fix this, tho.

The genuine Swiss  ETA 2836-2 movement is a day-date function. There is no genuine Swiss ETA 2836-2 with the GMT function. ETA never made one.

The best it could be is a genuine Swiss ETA 2836-2 that has been modified to have a GMT function by eliminating the day wheel and adapting the GMT function into that mechanism.

All the ETA 28XX movements and the Asian 2836  take the same size hands, 90/150/25. The Asian GMT modified 4th hand is 20.

ok - thank you!!!

I should buy the swiss modified one

http://www.helenarou.com/swiss-eta-28362-movement-with-gmt-function-da28362300.html

the only hand that wont work is the GMT which is currently asian 20 but needs to be 25 - is this correct? - pack the watch, and new mvt and send to a modder to mod the GMT hand and put it all back together

did I miss anything?

cheers!

OK, so I didn't read your original post that carefully. Let me try to help.

You bought a GMT IIc with a fantasy "pepsi" red/blue bezel insert. I've seen these a few times. If I remember correctly, they have a dial with red GMT MASTER text on them and a red 4th hand as well, right?

Which movement did it originally come with? What parts of that movement do you still have?

If you still have the GMT wheel from the movement and the additional gear on the calendar mechanism, you can simply convert any ETA 2836 (or clone) into a GMT movement. It may take tweaking of the minute and hour wheels, but I've had a lot of success making pretty much any ETA (Swiss or clone) work with GMT parts.

If you still have any of the original or replacement hands, you probably only need a movement. In fact if you still have any of the original movement parts (like if you have an entire movement, even if it's broken) you're probably fine.

I also have red GMT hands in the parts box if you need one, or you could paint a green one.

Honestly, the most helpful thing you could do is to post a pic of all of the stuff that you have now. With that it'll be much easier to figure out what you should do next.