When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

cost of a super franken 1655 build?

red57

Here are my guesses. Dial $1200, movement $1200, decent case with Hev $800, hands $300, bracelet $300, crown and tube $150, superdome plexi $300, assembly, etc. So I say it starts at $4-5k and you can buy a gen for $10k. And of course you know you can sell it for the same $10k. So they are labor of love - not common sense.

Aftmkt case, bracelet, dial, and hands...figure around $1000 to $1200. Genuine dial...add $1000+.

Genuine case tube, crown, gaskets, springbars, and crystal...about $150.

A running 1575 is not hard to find...$1000 to $1300.

The catches...

The movement may need $service$ and a few generally-you-whine $rolexparts$.

GMT parts to convert a 1575 to 1575 GMT are nearly impossible to find (and expensive!) Figure around $1000.

Meanwhile...your hair turns gray...then white.

... and falls out.

Your girlfriend "needs some space" or your wife "goes out with her friends" more and more.

Your dog starts biting your leg.

How much is it actually worth after it is finished?

My guess is probably 50% to 75% of the total cost not counting labor and screw-ups.

Why?

Because replica cases/dials/bracelets are not worth much on the main line. What you end up with is a 1575 GMT movement.

I did it so I know how it goes.

My azz is still burning :huh: ...and I got good deals on all the parts.

A heads up...

Watch out for genuine 1575 movements converted to GMT for an additional $200 or $300 with about $10 worth of shoddy non genuine parts.

If I was doing it over, I would make one up using cartel parts or buy one already assembled with a slow beat swisseta in it...and buy a good used Air King, OPD, 6694 etc with the $$ I saved.

If I was doing it over, I would make one up using cartel parts or buy one already assembled with a slow beat swisseta in it...and buy a good used Air King, OPD, 6694 etc with the $$ I saved.

+1000

rep case+gen movent = nonsens ;)

Mine is at the watch maker being serviced and assembled. I was lucky to find a complete NDT 1655 on the forum for $1,100. I added a gen service bezel $700. Gen hour, minute, second hands $300 (if you can find a gen 24 hr hand in decent condition, plan of paying $300 for it alone). Gen crown/tube $100. Gen crystal $90 and a gen bracelet $600.

I have about $2900 + plus the cost of the service in mine. I got lucky. The movement is a gen GMT, not converted. I am happy with the NDT dial, but as Automatico said, if you go for a gen dial, figure $1000 or more. Is it worth it? Who knows. It's my grail watch and my 50th birthday present from me to me. I didn't have $15k lying around, so this was the next best thing :)

Marty-

IMHO your project is not insanity. At a rep to franken ratio of less than 20% and a watch you love and are proud to wear I would do it it. Where I lose interest is when that ratio gets closer to 50% and the majority of parts are not gen. And I would go for the gen dial if you can swing it in the budget. The gen parts can always be resold if you are trying to recoup your money at some point in the future and no one wants the whole watch. Parts always to seem to go up or at least hold their value.

Mine is at the watch maker being serviced and assembled. I was lucky to find a complete NDT 1655 on the forum for $1,100. I added a gen service bezel $700. Gen hour, minute, second hands $300 (if you can find a gen 24 hr hand in decent condition, plan of paying $300 for it alone). Gen crown/tube $100. Gen crystal $90 and a gen bracelet $600.

I have about $2900 + plus the cost of the service in mine. I got lucky. The movement is a gen GMT, not converted. I am happy with the NDT dial, but as Automatico said, if you go for a gen dial, figure $1000 or more. Is it worth it? Who knows. It's my grail watch and my 50th birthday present from me to me. I didn't have $15k lying around, so this was the next best thing :)

How did you get a gen gmt movement for free? The movement is worth 2,000-2,500 alone..

Sorry, the watch is at the watch maker. It's a 1570, but a GMT. There are plenty of them out there. Here's one from a 1675. It comes with all of the hands and it's only $1700. Less the hands, it's a $1400 movement. They are not that hard to find.

http://www.network54...age/1251730582/

That listing is from 2009! There is no way you got a real gmt movement for that.. maybe a 1570 converted to gmt hand..