When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

help for buy omega planet ocean!

Guest tolis

OK, so I went to the jeweler. I talked to a sales woman who loved the watch. Treated it like a newborn baby (and not one that was crying.) I asked if they would adjust the band smaller. She said that she wouldn’t because it was an Omega, that she would have her watch guy do it.

The watch goes into the back room for the watch guy to do it. I say back room, but this is actually still all visible to me, it is glass separating the jewelry store from the workshop/appraisal area. I should also mention that this jeweler has been in business over 25 years. They do not sell high end watches, they had only Seiko & Citizen watches there, and they deal mainly in diamonds… BUT none the less, this is a professional.

About 5 minutes later, the watch guy comes up to me in the showroom and says, “This is a beautiful watch.” I try it on, and he’s adjusting it and making sure it’s all good.

Now, that should give you an idea of the overall quality of the watch. I want to do this again with a high end jeweler in town, and see what they have to say about it. I am a little surprised, but also more than a little pumped up about the whole thing. I actually made an audio recording of the whole jewelry store visit with my phone. I tried to upload it, but the site says that I am not premitted to upload this type of file. It is really a 7-1/2 minute version of what I wrote, with a lot of waiting in the showroom in between.

You know how I love morals, so the moral of the story is, pretty much what I said in the last 4 posts. The quality is definately there.

Edited by WetWork

That's awesome. I'd almost bet that an AD would have a hard time telling. I was in an Omega AD and was asking him about the "anti-counterfitting" engraving and he said he had no idea what it was for. Later I did some research and found out that it is not an anti-counterfitting mark. Omega added that etching because Costco was buying up a bunch of their watches through grey market sources and selling them in their stores. Omega did not like this, but legally couldn't do anything about it. They added the Omega globe etching as a way to use some kind of trademark loophole to prevent them from selling anymore. I may have the details a little off, but it was something to that effect.

As we all know, it isn't that hard for the reps to copy that etching...

Anyway, if an AD didn't know the story behind the etching (and this guy said he'd sold Omegas for 20 years) then I'd be willing to bet that your watch may fool him. I think if someone with a lot of knowledge was looking hard they could maybe find something off, but I think your average AD would not suspect someone walking right into their store with a watch to have a rep. So they wouldn't be looking that hard to begin with..

On another note, and just to continue the constant whining and crying I've been doing lately, my watch still shows being in customs. I thought today would be the day. No such luck. It has now been 5 full days and I'm really starting to think that something is going on. I have just had the worst luck with this so far.

I'm literally going to throw a party when my first watch gets here.

Didn't you say you had 3 watches at the same time? If so, maybe that is the issue.

I emailed BK about the DSSD. He got back to me today, and has them in stock. I asked him another question via PM, so I am waiting for his reply.

My sister in law was not impressed with it passing this jewelers test, so I have to go into a Rolex dealer and do it, for her to officially think the watch isn't junk.

No I ordered the first one, the PO. It got here fast but there was a crown/stem problem so I sent it back. I only had that one for about an hour before I packed it back up and sent it away. Broke my heart. It was beautiful and I wanted to wear it.

Then I ordered two more. Those were sent quickly, but have been sitting in customs at JFK for 5 full days now. It's killing me..

Your sister in law saw the watch right? If she thinks that's junk seeing it in person, she's crazy!

No she didn't see it. This is my wife, telling her sister. Had she not mentioned the REP part and let her sister see it first, it would have been like, "Wow, that's a REP?" Instead my poor watch has to fight an uphill battle now to get any street cred! I looked up the jeweler challenge store. They sell many high end watches, but not Omega. I feel confident coming off this win that my watch has the momentum to go for the title.

Like you said, your own presence is a factor too.

"Is this watch fake?"

"How dare you sir!"

I'll try to play it through to the end. I want to see this thing take the gold!

Ok, I should point out That as a rule, we do not go to AD's to "test" them. There are some good reasons I discussed in a thread but, let me summarize.

1. Watch should be for you to enjoy, not to call attention in public to our "hobby"

2. You will NEVER get a real answer. One of 2 things will happen, either they won't know and that is not a test, sales people they can't afford the watches they sell and they are not enthusiasts. Or 2 they know and still won't say anything because either 1. They want to sell you something else and won't embarrass you or 2. They don't want to break it to you that you got ripped off.

So, as you see there is only bad that can come from this. It is actually a rule of the forum not to take your pieces into ads or jewelers to call attention to it and us. It will put you in disfavor quickly. If your our and pop into a store to try something on. That's 1 thing. But, intentionally doing the deal, very frowned upon.

A long time ago, folks were much more positive about things with watches and they were big things, tiny crown, recessed center pin. Wrong font on dial. Crap strap. There were plenty of threads discussing the issues but, if someone posted their piece people wouldn't rip it apart.

Enjoy responsibly;

Whoo Hoo!

You have ME pumped on this DDSD now! Can't wait to see yours and read your review!

Tomorrow we dine in Hell!

300 quotes...I love it!

Oh yea, I'm pumped up now. I was getting really bummed, but now I'm stoked. I can't wait to open them. I feel like a little kid on Christmas eve.

I'll be sure to write a good, thorough review.

Ok, I should point out That as a rule, we do not go to AD's to "test" them. There are some good reasons I discussed in a thread but, let me summarize.

1. Watch should be for you to enjoy, not to call attention in public to our "hobby"

2. You will NEVER get a real answer. One of 2 things will happen, either they won't know and that is not a test, sales people they can't afford the watches they sell and they are not enthusiasts. Or 2 they know and still won't say anything because either 1. They want to sell you something else and won't embarrass you or 2. They don't want to break it to you that you got ripped off.

So, as you see there is only bad that can come from this. It is actually a rule of the forum not to take your pieces into ads or jewelers to call attention to it and us. It will put you in disfavor quickly. If your our and pop into a store to try something on. That's 1 thing. But, intentionally doing the deal, very frowned upon.

A long time ago, folks were much more positive about things with watches and they were big things, tiny crown, recessed center pin. Wrong font on dial. Crap strap. There were plenty of threads discussing the issues but, if someone posted their piece people wouldn't rip it apart.

Enjoy responsibly;

Uh oh, we're in trouble Vandal. We're breaking the rules again.

Enjoy responsibly;

Ok, I'm new here and I absolutely love this forum, but I have a few questions/comments about this:

1) I understand that forums have certain rules about what is posted on the forum, and rightfully so. But for a forum to have a "rule" about what you do outside the forum sounds absurd to me. Call it a recommendation or advice, and I'm with you. Call it a rule and I go into "fight the power" mode.

2) Do you think that AD's don't know about our "hobby"? I think that it's pretty well known, by literally just about everyone, that fake watches are produced and distributed in mass quantities. I get the impression that you think that by taking a rep into an AD, they will be alerted to the fact that people are purchasing reps and will sound the alarm, and begin some kind of crusade against the rep market that will eventually restrict our ability to purchase these reps. I would have a hard time giving that scenario much credence.

3) If I bought a watch on eBay, or really anywhere other than an AD, the first thing I would do is bring it to an AD to make sure it was real. I've read here on the forum that AD's will give you their opinion, but that if you want an official appraisal, they will send your watch in to Omega to do a thorough inspection of the watch and check the serial number against their archives. And this is at some considerable cost. However if that turned out to be a rep, then I'm in the same situation.

4) Like you mentioned, a person could have very easily been ripped off and unknowingly purchased a rep, fully believing it to be real. That person could (and in all likelihood would) walk into an AD to look at other watches or have something done to what he believes is his gen watch. Again, same situation.

5) I'm not going to worry about taking off my watch if I walk into a jewelry store. I probably won't say "look at my watch, do you think it looks real?", but I'm not going to freak out if someone starts looking at it either. I'd be surprised if someone asked to look at it, but if they did, I'd show it to them. I'd then be surprised if they immediately noticed that it was a rep and then said something to me, but if they did, I would feign surprise and thank them for alerting me that I was ripped off.

Again, I'm new here and maybe my logic is flawed. I don't think I'm all knowing and I'm always grateful for the opinons of those who are more experienced than me. But at first glance, this just seems silly to me. Let the flaming begin!

Ok, I'm new here and I absolutely love this forum, but I have a few questions/comments about this:

1) I understand that forums have certain rules about what is posted on the forum, and rightfully so. But for a forum to have a "rule" about what you do outside the forum sounds absurd to me. Call it a recommendation or advice, and I'm with you. Call it a rule and I go into "fight the power" mode.

2) Do you think that AD's don't know about our "hobby"? I think that it's pretty well known, by literally just about everyone, that fake watches are produced and distributed in mass quantities. I get the impression that you think that by taking a rep into an AD, they will be alerted to the fact that people are purchasing reps and will sound the alarm, and begin some kind of crusade against the rep market that will eventually restrict our ability to purchase these reps. I would have a hard time giving that scenario much credence.

3) If I bought a watch on eBay, or really anywhere other than an AD, the first thing I would do is bring it to an AD to make sure it was real. I've read here on the forum that AD's will give you their opinion, but that if you want an official appraisal, they will send your watch in to Omega to do a thorough inspection of the watch and check the serial number against their archives. And this is at some considerable cost. However if that turned out to be a rep, then I'm in the same situation.

4) Like you mentioned, a person could have very easily been ripped off and unknowingly purchased a rep, fully believing it to be real. That person could (and in all likelihood would) walk into an AD to look at other watches or have something done to what he believes is his gen watch. Again, same situation.

5) I'm not going to worry about taking off my watch if I walk into a jewelry store. I probably won't say "look at my watch, do you think it looks real?", but I'm not going to freak out if someone starts looking at it either. I'd be surprised if someone asked to look at it, but if they did, I'd show it to them. I'd then be surprised if they immediately noticed that it was a rep and then said something to me, but if they did, I would feign surprise and thank them for alerting me that I was ripped off.

Again, I'm new here and maybe my logic is flawed. I don't think I'm all knowing and I'm always grateful for the opinons of those who are more experienced than me. But at first glance, this just seems silly to me. Let the flaming begin!

Your logic is 100% correct. The concept of good reps and ad's knowing. Well, it the corporate folks that would know about it. And some senior positions don't realize the extent.

The point being, i guess, if our 30,000 people flapping their reps around if they find out it's site, and they try litigation get us cut of

When you have a rocking piece, and beat the system, it is not polite to shop it around. And stick it in their face.

As I explained - there is only 1 possible outcome, they won't tell you what they tell cause they want. Commission

So. The game pointless. It's heads i win tails you lose. You will be happy but it's a false happy. I'm just saying its rule 25

our forum rules!

There 2 reasons people com here, 1 to learn and be a watch enthusiast or they want a quick rep so he show off how successful

So speaking on behalf the old school, I think 1. Don't bring attention to the community. And it's the proper thing to do. Your im essence going to an ad hey that 5k piece of crap I bout for 300

Find a local watchmaker, create a relationship my guy tells ,e what he likes and issues for him.

Final point is. The game is rigger. The sales person would never say anything. So why bother. Serious

I wasn't at an authentic dealer, nor is the place I am going an Omega dealer. The rule reads, "Authentic Dealer." So no problem.

Hey, I'm not anybody's mother. I'm just passing on friendly advise, that playing do you know my watch is real is not a good way to earns friends. If you do want to do it, I suggest posting the adventure in a new thread, then you will see what I'm talking about. Not sure if your a lawyer but I am, and I think your interpretation is to narrow.

Besides I explained al the scenarios. In none of them is it good for you

Hey, I'm not anybody's mother. I'm just passing on friendly advise, that playing do you know my watch is real is not a good way to earns friends. If you do want to do it, I suggest posting the adventure in a new thread, then you will see what I'm talking about. Not sure if your a lawyer but I am, and I think your interpretation is to narrow.

Take a quick read, TwoTone talks about it. Here is the water. Drinking is up to you man :) I'm just trying to help from the forums plssing all over you.

If this wasn't such a overly crazy thread, you would get way more comments. You could take your first story and repost it to a new thread.

Best of luck

When my friends want to dictate what I do in my life, then I'm not really good at earning friends. It's not difficult to alienate people from being my friend when I read something like that, and think to myself, "How lucky I am that Animal from the Muppets on the forum is a lawyer and giving me free legal advice?" I can save the 30 grand in legal fees I have budgeted this year, by just posting all my legal issues on the forum!

Should read:

Hey, I'm not anybody's mother. I'm just passing on friendly advice, that playing, "Do you know if my watch is real?" is not a good way to earn friends. If you do want to do it, I suggest posting the adventure in a new thread, then you will see what I'm talking about. Not sure if you're a lawyer, but I am, and I think your interpretation is too narrow.

I don't have to interpret, as I am following the letter of the law. You are the one playing the interpretation game, because you are not. The rule clearly states, "Authorized Dealer." You then attempt to legitimize your overly broad and reaching interpretation, by presenting some kind of quasi-case law (your link) but upon examination, that case law again speaks about AUTHORIZED DEALERS.

Where did you get your law degree, REP Lawschool?

That is how you do not earn friends... my friend.

Yep, I agree, the first rule of fight club is 'don't talk about fight club' :D

It would be much more worthwhile trying to find a rep friendly watchsmith who you may be able to get to do some work for you in the future if needed, than stepping up the game in an attempt to get feedback on it's 'quality' in the watch world. Is isn't a gen, sales people and smiths are not familiar with aesthetics of these on the outside enough to know the difference. Even an AD might be fooled. The vast vast majority of gen forumites would be fooled, they haven't a clue, unless some smart [censored] rep fan goes on to gen forums and starts pointing out the 'tells' as has happened in the past.

Here's a few threads to browse, and these people are familiar with the gen:

http://tz-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=173337&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f441/new-po-fake-542065.html

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f441/fake-po-42mm-looks-very-real-554007.html

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f441/one-real-purchased-wus-521803.html

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f20/newly-acquired-pre-owned-planet-ocean-42mm-557621.html

The quality of the watch is there to see, as can be seen from the countless reviews and teardowns on it across the forum, the only ones able to tell would be the rep forumites and those who are not rep enthusiasts but 'very' familiar with the gen. So on some occasion you would eventually run into some guy who does know the watch extremely well and can tell from the AR or pearl that there is something 'off'.

I've heard of occasion where some people attempt to validate their watch by getting cheekier and trying out the AD test, why I don't know, it's not worth it, most won't recognize and if they did, and you have the watch off your wrist while they are examining it, it may well be confiscated and destroyed. Not trying to be dramatic wetwork, just saying that the watch is a good one, wouldn't worry about the local trade seeing the minute differences....not gonna happen...just enjoy it for what it is. A watch that looks great and is 98% of the gen for 5% of the gen price!

Congrats Vandel you got your stash through customs finally.

• Like 1

My point wasn't, "Oh look at me... I'm so cool." The point was, that people that come to the forum, look at pictures and see all this commentary on the minutia that is wrong with the REP. This isn't something that should stop you from getting a REP. That is what was stopping/worrying me before purchase. I was trying to demonstrate to people what kind of real world expectations they can expect. People taking themselves way too seriously and getting P!SSED off is just an added benefit of my winning personality I guess.

I am wondering if I should go back to the jeweler, explain to them that I am not allowed to go into their establishment with MY watch. Apologize for getting the band adjusted and paying them for it AND accepting their compliment. I now see the error of my ways.

"I have a duty higher than the law."

Just heard that from Leslie Neilson on a classic episode of Hawaii Five-O

Edited by WetWork

:D ....but that is the rep game, everybody here is completely anal, they all have OCD and most are insomniacs from all the sleepless nights getting pisssed off over pearl and crowns and happy feet that nobody else would even give a 2nd thought about :D

I've yet to come across a hobby where people are as fixated on the small issues :)

Not only are these forums for rep enthusiasts but they are also a hangout for socially broken watch fanatics that go around the streets trying to spot those subs in the wild that have those perfectly shaved crown-guards, while also attempting to examine pearl from 6 feet away, to see if it might be a micrometer off centre. :)

:D ....but that is the rep game, everybody here is completely anal, they all have OCD and most are insomniacs from all the sleepless nights getting pisssed off over pearl and crowns and happy feet that nobody else would even give a 2nd thought about :D

I've yet to come across a hobby where people are as fixated on the small issues :)

Not only are these forums for rep enthusiasts but they are also a hangout for socially broken watch fanatics that go around the streets trying to spot those subs in the wild that have those perfectly shaved crown-guards, while also attempting to examine pearl from 6 feet away, to see if it might be a micrometer off centre. :)

Sums us up pretty much. Anal OCD insomniac. Yep, that's me alright. :)