When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The DateJust Conversion

TeeJay

While I don't claim to be an expert or even particularly knowledgeable about this particular model of watch, the DateJust has recently won me over, and I wanted to share a few feelings and observations about it. According to Wikipedia:

"The Rolex Datejust is an officially certified, self-winding chronometer wristwatch manufactured by Rolex. The Datejust was the first wristwatch with a date function, released in 1945."

dj4.jpg

I've always been a fan of divers watches, the luminous markers, the timing bezel, the water resistance, the overall ruggedness of the watch: They all provided functions I needed and aspects I liked. I never really gave the DateJust range much credence, thinking them a PlayBoy's watch, a trinket/status symbol for the wealthy, rather than a serious 'daily wear timepiece'. A year ago, I bought my first DateJust, a simple model with a plain black dial and un-fluted bezel. Upon its arival, I immediately removed the oyster bracelet and fitted a black leather strap, recreating the watch worn by John Barrowman in his portrayal of Captain Jack Harkness (movie/tv memorabelia is one of my key interests) As Barrowman is a keen collector of watches, especially Rolex, I have long suspected that this watch was part of his own personal collection rather than simply costume provided by the wardrobe department.

jb2.jpg

DSCN4074.jpg

Not trusting the watch for wet wear was not an issue, as water would ruin the leather strap, but I found the watch a pleasant change from the divers watches I had worn. I was surprised to see that at night, the tiny dots of luminous material, reflected against the rehaut to create a luminous indicator almost equal to the hour markers of an Omega Planet Ocean :o This was obviously not the impractical watch I had initially dismissed the DateJust as. Not long after, I received parts for a unique DateJust project which is still on the drawing board (thanks for those parts, J :drinks: ) and I started to think of the DateJust as a watch better suited for suit wear. Fast forward a year, and my wife and I were invited to an 80s theme birthday party. What better wrist wear (other than a Casio) than a DateJust (or maybe a DayDate) I've never warmed to the DayDate line, and I knew that I wanted to avoid any gold, so I ordered a new DateJust with the same black dial as before, but with a fluted bezel and a Jubilee bracelet, the kind of watch worn by many 80s Executives.

quiz1558outcome2.jpg

DSCN4428.jpg

Initially, the watch was too shiny and polished for my taste. The flutes on the bezel reflected too much light, drew too much [of my] attention, just generally didn't 'feel right' for me to be wearing (maybe deep down, I felt like I'm not worthy of the privilege such a watch represented :pardon: ) The bracelet, on the other hand, was the epitome of comfort and understated elegance: With some gentle filing, I softened the edges of the flutes, reducing the harshness of the reflections, making the watch appear older and worn, and all of a sudden, it was perfect.

DSCN4427.jpg

:victory:

With its stainless steel bracelet, the watch could be worn while bathing, giving me another watch which could easily serve as a Daily Beater. The size of the case means that the watch was ideal for wearing with a suit, while the dial remained as clear and visible as that of a Submariner. The styling of the watch creates a versatility of wear which many larger watches lack. I admit, the fluted bezel does look more towards the showy side of things, especially when worn with casual clothes, but the flat-bezeled version would certainly wear as well with jeans as with a suit without looking in any way showy. In summary, I would suggest the DateJust to anyone in mind to try a smaller watch, or simply looking for something more dressy. Also, given the massive variation of options across the line, there is a wider freedom of finish and hardware which makes it is less likely to get called out than a watch with a more limited range :)

dj3.jpg

dj2.jpg

dj1.jpg

Thanks for reading :good::drinks:

[Edit to add]

photo-6.jpg

+1 for the DJ. One of my favorites and, arguably, the most recognizable watch of the planet. The reps are pretty good, as well.

I had a generic TT DJ clone when I was younger (not real gold, so no issue with my allergy) it was a really easy watch to wear, and I must admit, I've found my new DJ to be equally wearable :) Once I can get it off my wrist long enough to get the lume upgraded, I can see myself wearing it much more than I originally planned :tu:

I'm currently stuck on my SS white faced DJ. I put it on about 3 weeks ago after replacing the dial and haven't taken it off since. It's knocked the Pam 288 off my wrist for a while.

I don't care if it is "an old man's watch". I find it iconic and I'd forgotten how comfortable the DJ can be after wearing a Pam for a while..

DSCN4805.jpg

I'm currently stuck on my SS white faced DJ. I put it on about 3 weeks ago after replacing the dial and haven't taken it off since. It's knocked the Pam 288 off my wrist for a while.

I don't care if it is "an old man's watch". I find it iconic and I'd forgotten how comfortable the DJ can be after wearing a Pam for a while..

DSCN4805.jpg

That's a really nice piece, I can see why it's getting prime wrist-time :good: The TT behind it really reminds me of my old watch, but with my gold allergy, I couldn't wear one :bangin: I totally understand what you mean about the 'old man watch' vibe, especially the fluted/jubilee combos and linen dials, but at the end of the day, they really are nice :)

Very nice writeup TeeJay,

Inspired me enough that I think I might have one built... or even just order one. :)

Thanks, and glad to have been of inspiration :good::drinks: If you can track down the exact model you want, definitely a good watch to order :) I have a very specific white-dialed model I want to get next, it's just a question of tracking it down at a reasonable price :lol:

Great write up TJ. I miss my franken DateJust a lot. It is one watch I seriously regret selling.

Thanks, bro :drinks: As above, I'm no expert on DJ's, but seeng as they're seldom in the spotlight, I thought I'd share some musings following my change of heart towards them :) Not sure if a case of my tastes maturing, or nostalgia for my first DJ clone, but I'm certainly feeling this new one :) I think the revelation was only delayed as the one on leather didn't see constant wrist time for me to fully appreciate it :)