When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Monobloc Crowns on Vintage Models

omgiv

Hi Guys,

One thing that has always bugged me is Rolex's modern triplock crowns. The documentation that I have and have seen states that vintage models get 703 crowns and 704 (monobloc) crowns on modern models. I have been wondering if Rolex was going to phase out the 703 (much like they did the 702) with the 704. I have seen a few sales on the genuine boards of vintage Rolex watches with monobloc crowns but no documentation. Well, yesterday I saw a sale on VRF of a Red Sub that had been serviced by Rolex (with paperwork) and had a modern 704 monobloc crown. Now I feel like I can cross that question off when it comes to these crowns. Thanks for reading!!!

Link to sale:

http://www.network54...with+RSC+papers

Once a new crown design is available, Rolex usually replaces the old styles with the new. In fact, I recently came across a patent from Rolex for a new crown, which will likely replace the 704. The new 1 has a self-leveling system to maintain the coronet's orientation so that the crown always screws shut with the coronet facing up relative to the dial side of the watch.

The gap between the bottom of the crown & face of the case may be due to the way the tube was installed. You often see that gap on vintage watches coming out of Rolex service, which is why I always (consciously) try to install tubes to mimic that gap since new watches (including reps) rarely have a gap there

006-2_2__tonemapped1-2.jpg

001-2_2__tonemapped1.jpg

Interesting timing. I just REMOVED my 704 from my 1680 and installed a more period 703. Plus, the 703 has the illusion of being thinner since the knurled area is 1/2 a mm less than on the 704.

703 and Two 704 Mono's. Amazing how much FATTER the Crown looks because of the larger knurled area.

9a25pwp1010451.jpg

but the old giant crowns on the vintage 703s are so cool looking! plus the modern ones seem to leave a bit of gap where it usually meets the case.

True, but there is something to be said for the "Crispness" of a 704.

The gap between the bottom of the crown & face of the case may be due to the way the tube was installed. You often see that gap on vintage watches coming out of Rolex service, which is why I always (consciously) try to install tubes to mimic that gap since new watches (including reps) rarely have a gap there

Good point.

- This is easily accomplished on an MBW case simply by NOT countersinking the tube.

- I also just discovered two different "600" modern style replacement tubes. One has some extra thread that causes the 600 crown to create the gap since the seal meets the threaded area sooner. (6239 project I am working on).

- Finally, on a Triplock 703 you can also add a gap by using a RXJC700 Crown Gasket from the Ofrei MSA 99.136 kit.

Just goes to show, there are no hard and fast "it must be this or that" in the Rolex world.

I've always suspected the gap was just from new gaskets being installed. Being new and not compressed may give the fraction of a mm to lift the crown slightly. That's what happened when I installed a new set in my 1675.

And @Ronin - I agree with the profile of the knurled area statement. The bigger bevel on the bottom and the thinner knurled area on 702 looks very different from a 703 in this regard as well.