When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

1680 DWO issue need help!

irolexu

I have a 1680 that I just got up and running again and the DWO is horrible on it. sits far to the left and I am just wondering who might be the best RWG service tech to send this off to. Also even though it keeps great time now it needs an over-haul because changing the time seems to be a tough task on this watch as it is rough and grinds a tad. also I would love to put a really nice dial on it with RED lettering instead of the great white dial it has in it now. Other then these things I love this watch and am so glad it came from RWG! just need to fix her up so I can strap a NATO and call it a day!

You want to make sure you have the right dial on it before you put on a date-wheel overlay. I would recommend the InGod dials, if he has the red Sub dial in stock. You will also probably need a new crystal. You should be able to get that from Clarks.

As for the overlay, I would check with JMB.

He is a seller on ebay - his username is InGod44.

If you have a gen crystal, you should have no problem. The problem with datewheels/dials stem from non-gen shapes. For example, a gen dial uses a "widescreen" date opening, while a rep dial uses a "TV" opening. If you use a gen-like datewheel with an Ingod dial and a gen crystal, you should be 99% of the way there!

The PT classic 1680 reps all have the datewheel which is too far to the left. Yours is exactly like all the others, not a problem specifically with your watch.

You can open the datewheel window with a tiny file and touch up the paint ... the PT window is very very small compared to Gen .. you can find or create a datewheel with the proper offset .. or you can change dials completely.

Be aware that if you upgrade to a Clark crystal, the magnification bubble will be in the wrong place as well, compared to the hole in the dial.

The PT classic 1680 reps all have the datewheel which is too far to the left. Yours is exactly like all the others, not a problem specifically with your watch.

You can open the datewheel window with a tiny file and touch up the paint ... the PT window is very very small compared to Gen .. you can find or create a datewheel with the proper offset .. or you can change dials completely.

Be aware that if you upgrade to a Clark crystal, the magnification bubble will be in the wrong place as well, compared to the hole in the dial.

Well i'll be happy to tell you that it has a gen crystal! :) so looks like the main way to fix this is go with an ingod44 dial from EBAY then get a DWO from JMB and have it all installed.

And here is a side question about INGOD...why are his dials only 125? are they genuine rolex or aftermarket? also I assume I have to clip the feet to get the dial on the movement?

@JMB: That looks great! I didn't realize there was so much space around the numbers... Now I know why so many modders hate doing overlays! :)

@iRolexu: Yes, I believe that the Ingod vintage Rolex dials are as close to gen as is available (even considering NDT). As to why they are $125, they are most certainly NOT gen dials. I don't know how he gets around ebay, because they are clearly aftermarket dials. Oh well, more for us!

Ya weird how he gets away with it. I thought maybe the foundation of the dial was gen.

Well, that's what all the sellers say, original dial blank, redone (by a professional). But we all know that they are just aftermarket dials, nothing original about them. But they sure make for a nice rep.

if you have a standart white DWO you can make it silver using pencil lead (fat HB ref.)and blotting paper,

works also with graphite powder and your finger to fix it

Edited by Rolexaddict