When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Another SSD build have some questions

Ephry73

Choosing different dials to get the right look I want, but have this issue with rehaut. What exactly should the angle be? Or is it just as one sees it? I'm building one for a fellow forum member and one for myself. I'm using an early transitional dial for the build. Pics of the different dials.

The first one is one sourced from Sneed. Actually fits in the correct Z case which is good. Disregard the dust particles please.

c616b41c.jpg

This one I sourced from Manhand on eBay and not too bad, could be better but for the money it is ok. Lume is decent, looks a lot better in person and has decent "old" glow. Not crazy about the date window, but I think it will do for now for my own personal build. I can fix it later as there is plenty of meat in the dial material and just repaint it and matte spray it if I need to. Ar least it is 16:9

a31e9e09.jpg

61dc0cb8.jpg

Rehaut seems ok by me, but please chime in. I want/need this to be a good build as it is my first 16660. I definitely want the lugs drilled and currently searching for a decent bracelet for it.

I have a pair of benz Tudor ETA hands from Yuki that I plan to use for now, seem ok when compared to most images online.

The Gen insert I had laying around was a pain to fit, but looks good and flat now

The 703 tube and crown were standard fit, and no need to bore people on details

I love how the HEV has the correct push orientation and color match to a gen.

Thanks for looking.

Ephry

The rehaut on the SSD is too deep and also too conical. The depth would be a hard change because then the crown stem position would be incorrect and a list of other mounting issues as well. You could have it machined a bit so it would be at less of an angle but then the opening would be larger making the dial seem too small.

I think there is someone around who has done a little bit of the rehaut sanding on a SSD case but I cannot remember who it was.

I just have to say after working with E for the last few weeks, this guy is just AWESOME! A true gentleman with a real passion for these watches! I'm so lucky to have met up with you E! Thanks so much for all of your hard work and thanks for sharing your knowledge and expertise with me!

Can't wait to get the triple 6 on my wrist!

You're much too kind Duke. Speaking of which, I will use this sweet DW on your build that I received a few months back from JMB. Because of the early nature of these two builds, I think it will work correctly. Just need to finish my finals on Tuesday to get busy. Case work is done. Movement is done(just aded the overlay.

E

• 3 months later...

---Update---This has been a long project for sure. Still waiting for lugs to be drilled and this should be it. Found a decent diver's extension(gen) and added that to the sterile 93250 bracelet(best fit I could find) and searching for a gen clasp now.

Found the ST6 date wheel and placement is correct for these watches. It is a Sea-Gull movement so the quality is there. The seconds hand is going to be a Bi@tch to source, as it is rather small.

I'm building Duke's using a gen ETA instead and using a date wheel similar(Disregard the lume dust this will be cleaned on final assembly).

5de38396.jpg

Lume shot after 5 minutes(exposure to UV light was for 30 seconds)

61172fb3.jpg

Looking good E! I can't help it, I'm starting to get a little excited! If there are any other parts you need for yours (or mine) just let me know. Hell I might have them here somewhere?

Let me know what you think of the new SD when it arrives. I have a feeling you'll like it.

Stop guys. C'mon. This is a loooong build. Parts not getting fitted quick enough. Other projects getting in the way, school, work, etc... Duke is truly a saint. No lies. Allowing me to test fit, experiment and in the process learn together. Yes, it would have been quicker and probably cheaper to pay for a higher end rep, but still wouldn't have that "thing". Still have to try out the "rehaut shave" to see if it brings things more into a better perspective. Because of the extra case, I can play around with that until the cases get the lugs drilled.

Duke's build will get a full step-by-step pictorial with gen crown setup and the like.

I'm going the worn every day route and the faded insert, salted look will be the theme.

I have to admit, after all of this "experimenting" I can say the 666 is one of my favorite watches(gen and the like), preferably the matte dialed early ones. Yes I do have an early 1665 DRSD build, but there are always little things about that one that "get to me" hence why I took it apart and waiting for the right "frame of mind". The case for the 666 is truly well built and the thicker profile is still not too "Hulkian", but rather just right. Soon I will have to let go of a few projects and builds to make wrist time room for these grail builds. I guess it is part of that learning curb(If anyone has a decent 5513 dial for sale or trade - for the 5514 pre-comex -, please let me know. By decent I mean decent worn shape and price ;) )

Now, if only the factories would make a decent 93160 bracelet, it would be soooo nice. Heck, I am sure Gen owners would love to replace their worn out gen bracelets and leave those gen 93160s for a ''special occasion" and still keep their gens on an oyster strap.

Now Yuki has SSD dials listed in gloss and matte, yet is lacking that 4000ft white dial in matte finish with ETA feet that will make soooo many of us happy. Things do move along and the key word here is patience. Networking and not being shy or proud. Humble approach to a project and DEFINITELY NOT being afraid to ask any question.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Finally done. Movement fixed (y3135) and some gen parts added to the movement which will hopefully hold out better.

So Duke's build is comprised of:

Gen crown and tube

Gen insert and SL pearl

Y3135 serviced and gen parts added(gen set screws coupled with trimmed tabs to hold it tighter in place. No need for a movement holder)

ST3035 SL hands(not really super lumed but they do the trick)

Manhand1 16660 dial

SSD v2 Jackjo case further modified by me and lugs drilled by the magical hands of JMB (Clicker adjusted, repolished and beveled lug holes, squared off lugs at the ends, sealed HEV although it isn't needed on the SSD and gen o-ring on the case back)

TC 93160a bracelet with a gen diver's extension(just trimmed the SELs so that Duke is receiving an unworn bracelet) Gen spring-bars that fit perfectly. 

9E06B747-8687-4DAD-863A-5882EA42C5D2_zps

074C7C17-8427-4D37-A19E-5F061ADA5FC0_zps

E237A8A3-B7A4-465D-8126-963BC7969539_zps

B60C544D-B87E-484F-A2D8-336F7083616C_zps

BB49EEEC-D8C5-4E3D-BD39-9E7BAF077129_zps

A670448B-F94E-49A9-98A4-0943B5DF631D_zps

7BBDBEF3-74D3-4D14-940E-C911600EB7B4_zps

29682624-0855-4939-97D2-80A9A1F91A6A_zps

DSC_3555_zps4e767bb3.jpg

DSC_3547_zps1448125a.jpg