When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Pam 029M quick impressions

Jurgenk

Just picked this up today.

Noob factory is turning out some very impressive watches.

Some initial impressions

Finally a case for the 029 that has the right proportions and correct bezel markings. Some of the previous 2836 based offerings had wrong GMT number markings and/or case thicknesses-- this one is a a full 1 mm thicker front to back than my old school 2836 029, due to slightly taller profiles on the bezel and caseback. There are no dimples in between lugs. The fit and finish on the case is quite close to Swiss standards-- no warped surfaces due to poor forging, surfaces nicely polished or brushed.

AR appears to be single sided and has the right off- yellow hue as gen

Crown guard roller mechanism feels just right, just like a new gen in terms of tension/smoothness.

Rubber strap softer than previous rep rubber straps but a little more rigid than gen, still a big improvement.

Dial - tuxedo pattern appears different (narrower in wale if that makes sense) but I don't know if that is more accurate to gen or not. The tuxedo pattern was more prominent on my other 029 reps. Numbers and dial details are crisp, lume seems okay but have not done side by side comparison with gen. DW is quite perfect and mag cyclops is right size. My example has mag cyclops that is rotated clockwise by a hair (actually makes date easier to read on wrist) but otherwise appears to be a good example...

post-6800-132321929475.jpg

post-6800-13232193089.jpg

post-6800-13232193264.jpg

1. How is the GMT hand, is it functional as gen?

2. How is the cyclop, is it glued to the crystal? can you show close up photos? is it same as gen?

3. Please post photos of the back.

4. What are the tells?

Thanks for your time, I just really want to buy this model and would love to get some answers that i'll know what to expect.

One other comment

I thought the AR might be single sided but I was actually fooled by a slight difference in the color shift on the front and rear glass. This is definitely double AR. Not a deal breaker and I will be polishing it off once we encounter any serious trauma...

Does explain the amazing clarity of this sapphire

Very nice OTB rep, we are getting spoilt but cyclops poshition and three marker still need work as does the depth of dial and I still ain't convinced on the lume colour to gen but really need better pics :)

I am sure a V2 will soon follow ;):)

I just got mine in the mail from Angus. I can second that the quality is outstanding. The case is very evenly forged, the crystal is evenly installed, the crownguard snaps nicely into place, smoothly and tightly. The build was also very well done. All the fasteners and the caseback were tightened to spec and the whole thing was surgically clean. No fingerprints, no stray dust, nothing.

I can comment on the lume color being correct. The 29's from the A and B series had a goofy too-green look, so the gen. 29M has it too. The rep's lume strength is not what a gen's is, but the color is right.

I got mine with the Swiss movement, since swapping out a gen-correct ETA 2893 would not be trivial (or inexpensive.) The ETA 2836-2 with the GMT module is well-known and reliable (there are some "real" companies that use it.) It does "snap" from hour to hour when changing the GMT hand. The only thing that makes it not a true GMT is that the hands aren't linked, I suppose. As long as it's reliable, though, it doesn't bother me.

The little issues: the cyclops doesn't seem to be quiiiite in the right position, the AR is an ugly yellowish tint (though I have seen that on plenty of gens), and the rehaut is quite deep, but I can't comment on the accuracy to that. I should go grab my friend's gen again to take a look.

It's the first rep I've ever bought where I haven't thought to myself, "what a great starting point, it only needs..."

Edited by atomic_doug

The gen 29 A series is a T dial so it's not green, wasn't green when it came out (creamy yellow) and if it's green now, there might be some mold involved. The 29B lume is much lighter and is more of a very pale pastel green by comparison to the new 29M which is a yellowish green in natural lighting and when charged turns a pretty radioactive green. The GMT hand is meant to be independently adjustable and moves in hops relative to the position of the main handstack. It's also meant to advance along with the main handstack in real time or when you are setting time in the 3rd crown position. If on the replica the GMT hand is stuck in one spot, then it's slipped and may or may not come back to normal operation, not uncommon on 2836 with a hack gmt module. It's a flaw of the movement.

I believe you misunderstand me on the functioning of the 2836 or we're talking past each other. On a 2983, the hour hand is slaved to the GMT hand. It is, in effect, a 24-hour watch. The GMT module on the 2836 effectively has two independent hour hands, one of which is a 24 hour hand. It works perfectly well, just differently from the gold standard for GMT movements (i.e. Rolex-style).

As for its reliability, I agree that the design is inherently flawed but not to the point where it would decrease service intervals. LeSchot has been making GMT modules for the 2836 for years and it's considered reliable enough for production and long-term use. I've serviced a few, myself.

Edited by atomic_doug

Yes, I def. don't understand because I think we're talking about different things. On the ETA2893-2 the GMT or the 24hr hand is independently adjustable clockwise and it's only slaved to the hour hand after you're done setting the difference. What I understood you are talking about when you say "the gold standard" is a different type of GMT movement that's was not employed in Panerai watches until recently when they started using Val Fleurier/Piaget "in house" movement where the 12hr hand is independently set, usually to local time, and the GMT/24hr hand is set to GMT or home time.

In this scheme of things the 2893 is no different than 2836 with a hack. It's not a gold standard or true gmt, but it is exactly how a genuine panerai 29A, 29B and 29M function.