When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Franken PAM250G

Jurgenk

Well I feel a little late to the game in posting this, but I thought I would share because it took some time and effort. After multiple cases, handsets, dials and DWs, I have a nearly completed ETA 7753 250G daylight, with gen dial and taka DW, and a few other mods. The A7753 based 250K reps are cosmetically near perfect but I wanted a perfect dial and a reliable movement in the long term, as this has been something of a grail watch for me. There are a few mods left... I want to thank Zigmeister for getting me this far. Sorry for the iPhone pic...

post-6800-132383219554.jpg

Edited by Jurgenk

thanks for the +ive feedback guys

esp W-- you talked me off of a ledge when I first acquired the gen dial a while ago, and convinced me that it would be worthwhile proceeding.

the funny thing about a franken is it that it makes you feel about halfway between having a really good rep and having a a nice used gen.

thanks for the +ive feedback guys

esp W-- you talked me off of a ledge when I first acquired the gen dial a while ago, and convinced me that it would be worthwhile proceeding.

the funny thing about a franken is it that it makes you feel about halfway between having a really good rep and having a a nice used gen.

Glad you followed through. Panerai's are such large watches that the first place your eyes go to (unless you are one of us OCD idiots is to the dial). The days of crown guards and crowns looking way off are now long gone. On the daylights I wear the gen dial and upgraded datewheel frankens everywhere without giving it a thought.And with the Swiss movement it will last you a life time. By the way, my gen Daylight needs more frequent servicing than my frankens. Guess I shouldn't be surprised. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks for the moral support and Merry Christmas to the RWG modding community!

Projectologist, very kind words from one of the masters of this art.

Dutchman2, it might be subtle but as great as the A7753 PAM250 rep dial is, I am under the impression that the subdials have had the wrong texture or insufficient depth, at least in earlier runs-- this might have been corrected since. Also uncertain of date window placement vs. gen and eta7753 positions, but I plan to dissect one in the near future. ;)

Mike, cool that you also find this to be a grail. Not the most expensive watch to have as a grail, and really I should have gotten one by now as they are not bad on the resale or NOS market... Low $6k without bargaining on K series. By the same token, have to watch costs on the franken closely or you'll end up tossing more than $2k on the project, which is hard to justify given the cost of the gen.

Edited by Jurgenk

• 3 weeks later...

An update

Decided to transplant the gen 250 dial, ETA7753, taka DW, a few other adjustments courtesy of The Zigmeister, into a noob a7753 case.

A few comparison shots of the old school case and the noob case pretransplant. Note the shallow subdials and thin print on the noob dial, and the smaller date window, thinner date font, and still recessed datewheel noticeable from the side. Note however that the noob has accurate bezel markings (stepped back from the edge), bezel edge and caseback edge polishing, excellent crownguard and roller lever, and better case finishing in general. If everything fits together, the hybrid will be unbeatable, and functionally and visually gen until the caseback is opened.

Noob left, old school with gen dial, t48 and taka DW right.

62d86c04-1dfc-e95f.jpg

Old school left, noob right

62d86c04-1e76-ceff.jpg

Noob side

62d86c04-1eab-1588.jpg

Old school side

62d86c04-1ec4-7573.jpg

Noob bottom, dial too matte and subdials not recessed sufficiently, while DW too glossy

62d86c04-1ef5-67c2.jpg

Old school bottom with gen dial and matching texture on DW

62d86c04-1f5c-0142.jpg

Stacked, noob in bottom

62d86c04-2066-e655.jpg

Finally the transplant, and a wrist shot to top it off

post-6800-132665330953.jpg

post-6800-13266533445.jpg

post-6800-132665335886.jpg

post-6800-132665336817.jpg

post-6800-132665339448.jpg

Edited by Jurgenk

Thanks W, you were right on with your recommendations from the very beginning. Much appreciated. The thing about these watches that evolve as parts become available (or disappear with the vendors) is that there's no way to predict how it will turn out ultimately...