When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Walmart Watch

Devedander

So I was at walmart last night picking up a few household items and passed the watch dept... I asked the GF what style of watches she liked (trying to guage her for an xmas present) and I noticed while looking they had this watch

139939-17283.jpg

And right behind it was the Pepsi version - no pepsi on their website but this is pretty close, the red and blue were a 50/50 split

139939-17284.jpg

It just struck me as a sort of rep on it's own accord... :huh:

Edited by Devedander

I didn't actually get to play with it, it was under glass and no one was there to help me. I didn't really care... but my experience with indiglo is that indeed it lights up like no bodies business... actually I like indiglo in general, but that wasn't what I was looking at here :)

And in case anyone wonders it's under $50 retail....

Edited by Devedander

Is it wrong to actually kinda like this watch?

No of course not... now if you would please step into the padded room at the end of the hall... :bangin:

But seriously I had forgotten what can be had for cheap out there.. someone mentioned a while ago that we forget that $200-300 is expensive for a watch in most peoples eyes but we pay it becuase we look at it as getting a $5000 watch for $300 (which I confirmed as many of my friends gave me a "WTF" look when I told them I was ordering some watches).

Before I didn't pay much attention to fancy watches becuase they were beyond my reach, but now that I have looked at them more closely I am stunned at what's available for sub $100 down the street....

Many designs mimmicked expensive watches VERY well, from this submariner look to datejusts and even some very IWC and AP looking watches!

The thought crossed my mind on many occasion that if these are at walmart for $40, despite the obvious advantage to being a huge company like Timex, what would it take to get our rep producers to create similar quality items at these prices (I am aware of markup for dealers but walmart has a good makup too)?

I mean they were all obviously lacking in the spit and polish section but I was truly amazed... if any of you have forgotten or stepped above looking at dept store watch selection I suggest you go out and do it again if for nothing else just for sh*ts and giggles... I was personally stunned...

I read Fosil unveiled an automatic mechanical at Basil for $99.00.

http://www.fossil.com/jump.jsp?itemType=PR...ROO000000FS4199

Wow...I kinda like the style and front view rotor. You'd think from their advertisement that Fossil believes they have created a watch revolution here...the self winding watch. I guess most people who don'ty know watches are used to quartz though, so they might be surprised by the big news :D .

Yeah I understand the cost of doing small lots but at the same time there are lots of costs that aren't associated since it's happening under the table...

It seems that the market supports our reps as they are and keeps just high enough priced to not loose interest (kind of like gens actually).

Either way I am still stunned by how closely the companies are mimicking famous model watches, but I guess that's just how it has to be!

It amazes me the lengths we have to go through to get a sub rep yet they allow this stuff to be on shelves... it seems so wrong...

Apparently, the basic design isn't covered by copyrights or patents. Where reps get into trouble is by applying the famous makers name and logo on a product that was made by others. This does imfringe upon copyrights