When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How to aged a pearl insert need DIY

cib0rgman

You can go "external" by covering it with an amber varnish to make it look old, but I don't think that will give a good result... it will still glow green through the amber coating.

Try going "internal." Cut off a pin to make a square tipped "drill" and roll it between your fingers to drill out the pearl. Be careful. Get the lume out of it, then find some appliance paint. It's an offwhite lacquer and it's pretty close to the right color. You can put a drop on paper and add other stuff like dust or a tint to get the right appearance. Don't go too yellow. Then use your drill/pin and put a tiny drop inside the pearl. Let it flow around and fill the inside, and add a little more until it's not quite "full" of paint. Let it dry and you're done.

I did both these pearls with this technique.......

snowflake_dome2.jpg

dr_work_new.jpg

• 2 years later...
Nanuq's trick might actually work. It's just that I don't like artificial solutions, and fake patina color is just fake patina.. 
Try to bake it in the oven for 1 hr at 220 degrees.
On a UK website there have been guys experimenting with this, some have been leaving it in longer and getting different colors on both pearl and insert, a nice brown can be achieved with longer baking, I've done it with 30 minutes at 250 degrees for my 5514 COMEX build and got a nice vintage pearl effect without damaging the insert.