When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Telling The Truth To Women

leeson43

Having never been married....I would have no idea how to handle a wife issue. I would assume that you would tell her the truth....since this kind of hobby is difficult to hide anyway...... :D

As far as a girlfriend / companion / bootie call is concerned......I figure I'll start telling them the truth as soon as they do.....

I built this Franken-Perpetual for my wife from a genuine case, crystal, dial and bracelet. She's a pretty conservative black or navy blue suit kind of girl and I thought the classic look without any bling would appeal to her senses. I think she wore it once. The hands are not aligned very well, but it wasn't worth the time to fix them since it's just gathering dust.

140320-17159.jpg

And hiding inside an ETA 2000. Keeps time within a few seconds a day out of the box.

140320-17160.jpg

Women actually understand the concept of fakes a lot better than men, having grown up with fake jewelry, handbags etc. all their lives. Believe me, most women don't have a problem with owning counterfeit stuff. They have a problem with liars.
That is the closest to the truth as you can get. Always tell them its a rep. or you'll wind up a rep. of a man in their eyes.

How would she find out you gave her a rep? I'm assuming here that we're talking about a high end rep. I also don't know if I agree that passing off a rep to a girl is an active process, in the way you're implying. If you give it as a gift, and don't get into a discussion about cost or any of that stuff, I don't see why it would have to come up. Again, I'm talking about reasonably priced watches...Tags and that sort of thing. Not Rolex or Panerai. I just think that the whole issue has a lot more to do with perception, and pre-conception about what it 'means' to be a rep to the average person than maybe we're aware.

Well not to judge your ways but I guess I wouldn't give a girl a watch if I wasn't intending to be with her long enough to make me uncomfortable keeping a lie going.

I just think of it as "what am I trying to accomplish?". If I want to get my gf a way to figure out what time of day it is, I will probably get her a dept store watch or a cell phone.

If I want to impress her and make her feel special, and spending money on her is what does it, then I am going ot spend money.

If I enjoy reps and want to share that experience with her, I am going to buy her a rep.

And in any situation I am going to tell her about it.

How will she find out? For me it's not the question how, or even if, but what will happen when she finds out.

Women always find out in the end, they have supernatural powers ;)

And in all fairness again, if I don't care enough to feel bad about lying to her, I am not buying her anything more than lunch.

Besides, I wouldn't even lie to strangers I meet on the street and try to convince them it's a gen... so how am I going to treat my GF with less respect than that?

Edited by Devedander

How can the wife/serious girlfriend not know about your hobby if you are spending time over here? And I can't imagine anyone is going to try and fool them. Certainly not a lie worth telling. Now if you are on a first date with a woman, trying to pretend you are a fabulously wealthy oilman and trying to get some... :lol:

My wife has no idea about what is real or rep and could care less - as long as it is on my wrist. ;)

You're not going to fool anyone: The wife knows better than you do what you can afford. The steady girlfriend knows you well enough to know whether you're the kind of guy who'd buy her a rep and pass it off as real. The woman you're trying to get into the sack with a watch (which is what I assume the OP had in mind) is going to go to get it checked.

i took mrs 05submariner to NYC jewlery stores & compared gen watch prices & eta rep prices / quality

& belive me unless your buying a gen ROLEX / OMEGA theres not a big difference in the quality of materials .

my wife tried on a gen ladies hamilton watch quartz for about $495.00 .

i inspected the watch & it felt & looked cheap ! certainly not worth $495 .

so she decided to get a ladies eta ss date-just eta2671 :thumbsupsmileyanim:

she loved it felt much solid & better quality than that piece of crap hamilton quartz .

i say give your better half the option to choose once you compare price & quality . :whistling:

Bought my wife an EL DateJust to see how she did with it before considering the purchase of a gen.

140451-17141.jpg

Let me just say... She has subjected this watch to some abuse, and it keeps on ticking away. She's glad I didn't spend the money on a genuine DJ... It does everything she needs in a watch and at a fraction of the cost (and still looks great).

hey UBI not to mention 5K OR 6K comes in handy for a nice CRUISE vacationnnnnnnnnn :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I'm totally straight about it with my wife. She has a gen £5k gold Chopard, and a rep £0.05k Cartier TT from Trusty. Guess which one has had to go back to the manufacturer twice in the last 3 months? Chopard. Guess which one gets most wrist time, and is a better time keeper? Cartier!

I would never lie to my wife about this, she takes a keen interest in my hobby and has a bit fun with me reading some of the threads. She has also bought me a couple of reps in the past, and I expect we will both be buying more reps for each other!

Also, I think that kanerich hit the nail on the head, women don't mind counterfeit stuff but they sure hate being lied to. And guess what? I hate being lied to too, so why treat some one how I don't want to be treated...?

Women also love a bargain, especially when it comes to hubby's hobby's!!