When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Clan Resources In Scotland

elwopo

Do any of our Scot members know if there are resources available for researching clan history in country?

I've decided to take a month off and concentrate on things that really matter. I'm of Scottish and Italian heritage (talk about screwed... :Jumpy: ) and I want to take my son to see where we came from. I don't want to keep putting it off until "someday" like my Dad did......and then time runs out. Maybe it's my mid-life crisis kicking in.....but it's better than a red mustang and a 20 year old girlfriend :g: maybe?

I'm interested in all the information I can find on clan Fergus(s)on. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

The Italian in me loves the expensive watches.....

The Scot in me won't let me pay full price.... :bicycle:

but it's better than a red mustang and a 20 year old girlfriend :g: maybe?

dunno about that, 'specially if the 20yo is blonde :p

There is one clan worth researching, goes under the pseudonym of TTK, very fierce warrior types I understand, but with a caring core. Maybe try and catch up with some ancestors whilst on your trip!

Offshore

You may find that the resources for researching Clans are as good in the US as in Scotland. These folk here might be able to point you in the direction of the best books on the Clan:

Clan Ferguson USA

Here are some other ideas you might like to check out before your trip. Scotland has some of the best organised genealogical records in the world - they are all centralized and all are online - so in addition to your clan history you can look up your actual family too.

If you already have an outline of your family history, the mormon site familysearch.org can be a great place to search for free (to go 'fishing' for relatives).

But to get the best records, you need to go here:

Scotland's People

It does cost money, but you can literally look up your family history and download copies of original documents from your home - which is light years ahead of many other countries. You should be able to get back to 1800.

Don't forget to look at census returns and marriage certificates too - because they contain interesting information about occupations and where they lived.

And here's a great thing that's easy to do thanks to the internet:

Multimap

It's often possible to look up the address on multimap, and give yourself somewhere to visit when you are over! :)

If it's an old farm or property, it may even be worth a google - many still have the same name.

And finally if you're looking for places to stop on your travels around the country, I recommend this site - it's the best by a mile, because you can actually see the places:

Undiscovered Scotland

Best of luck!! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

The Mitchell Library in Glasgow has some of the best information for tracing family history. This library is claimed to be the largest public deposit library in Europe and has extensive resources for finding out about Scottish history and all things geneological.

Have a look at the website here:

http://www.glasgow.gov.uk/en/Residents/Lib...themitchell.htm

You can also get a virtual guide of the library from the comfort of your own chair here:

http://www.mitchelllibrary.org/virtualmitchell/

Have a look at this page also:

http://www.glasgow.gov.uk/en/Residents/Lib.../FamilyHistory/

On top of that the main resource for geneology is the Strathclyde Geneology Center

Strathclyde Area Genealogy Centre

22 Park Circus

Glasgow

G3 6BE

Phone: 0141 287 8364

You can get details about it here:

http://www.glasgow.gov.uk/en/Residents/Bir...enealogyCentre/

There is a £13.00 charge but it is excellent value. Best be armed with as much information as you can (i.e. birth certificates etc.) before you use this facility.

Good luck and let us know when you plan to be in God's country and we can maybe arrange a gtg with our growing band of Scots members.

JTB