When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Chronograph - Do you use it?

Adeodatus

I've had this exact discussion on other threads. I also never use the chrono on any of my watches, including my G-Shock. I'm in the military too and G-Shock is the only watch I wear at work. It does everything. Solar powered, radio control atomic clock updated, world time, moon phase, tide indicator, 3 alarms, timer, chrono, etc etc. And it's bomb proof. Search for "G-Shock torture tests" on YouTube. Someone froze one in a block of ice and then dropped the block off a 4th story building onto concrete, and the watch looked and worked fine. And honestly, I think they look cool.

All that said, if I ever do need to time something, I still use my iPhone.

I have a few chronos, but the reason is because on those specific watches, I think the extra dials on the face look cool!

Edited by vandal.tbh

I think digital watches have their places and uses, and as I've said before, I get the sane feeling of achievement doing work on a digital watch, as I do working on a mechanical watch :) If I was going camping, I'd probably wear my Suunto Vector Clone rather than the Heritage, as I'd be less concerned about it getting banged about (although I suspect the Heritage would stand upto a camping trip quite nicely, especially on the NATO strap :whistling: ) I have no fears using the chronos on the Heritage as it's a quartz movement, but I suspect the second hand would be just as at risk from hand slippage as on a mechanical movement :g:

OK. OK. I take it back. I shouldn't have dissed the G-Shock!

Write out 100 times "I will never disrespect a G-shock or Skyhawk again"

N

I used to have a citizen, good for already being set :) I have a tissot now as my non mechanical. I take it on vacations and such where its actually a useful tool that you need to just work :)

I've had the same G-shock for 12 years. The watch took a hit by a shrapnel and still worked for years afterwards. A super-ugly watch, but I guess it's like a sledgehammer - it gets its f***king job done.

I've looked at G-Shocks for years, but never bought one. Think I might just go for it.

Reckon I'll be a bit less worried about it when I'm cycling, as I've always been a bit concerned about how the vibration etc. might affect my reps.

I am with Ziggy. With a properly serviced 7750 running the Chrono has always worked fine. And for that reason when I do by a chrono I always budget in a service. With standard automatics and handwinds I let them run until they die. And then I get them serviced if I still like them. :)

And as for uses there is nothing more exciting for a kid than being timed doing something and seeing where that hand is sitting on the dial. In the real world I use it for plane flights, making sure the pool tester has 15 seconds to check the levels, etc. I thought about it and I use it at least a few times every week. I do have one question for those in the know. Does running a chrono impact the power reserve of a watch? Anyone?