When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Picked Up A New Toy Today

PhilFree

Gorgeous watch. Wear it well. What I want to know is what watch you are waiting for. That is a heck of a "holdover". :)

I am waiting for a Patek Philippe Nautilus 5712R. It should arrive towards the end of the month.

Freaking beautiful! Congrats man!

Very nice. Good to see a fellow Boston native posting. Amazing piece

Thank you for the compliments.

I am waiting for a Patek Philippe Nautilus 5712R. It should arrive towards the end of the month.

Thank you for the compliments.

Oh, that? I have that one. Nice watch. I only weat it when I go swimming. I alternate with my G-Shock. Of the same price you know, both around 45-50.

so does the 270 have a 2nd GMT hand or that's just am/pm indicator that follows the main hands?

There is a small seconds sub-dial located at the 9 o'clock position, and the additional arrow-head hand that indicates when the GMT is in AM or PM mode.

Most GMT watches come without a AM/PM indicator. What they have instead are bezel markings from 2 to 24 (as in 24 hours).

The 2nd time zone is read from the bezel. Eg, when it's 8pm, the GMT hand will point to 20, and when it's 10am, it will point to 10.

This way, the GMT hand will only complete a round after 12AM unlike a normal hour hand, which completes a round at 12pm and 12 am (twice).

Phil was just saying how for the 270, the GMT hand behaves like another hour hand, completing a round at 12pm and 12am.

The AM/PM indicator will tell you if it's 4pm or 4am.

Hope that helps.

(i swear it sounded more coherent and clear in my head.)

I understand that in the case of the regular GMT with the (1-24) markings on the bezel it's a simple idea. The GMT hand moves half the speed of the other hour hand (normally when one minute goes by the hour hand makes a turn of 6 degrees. The GMT hand, on the other hand, will make only 3 degrees of a turn) and the markings are placed accordingly on the bezel such that each hour interval corresponds to an angle of only 15 degrees instead of the regular 30 degrees. In the case of the 270 no need for that. The GMT hand moves normally much like the regular hour hand but every time it gets to 12 the AM-PM thingy will jump from AM to PM or vice versa to clarify further. All this is very clear and rather obvious.

What I don't understand is the 'jumps in 1hr intervals' TX's original question? I don't understand the question nor do I see how the answer provided answers that question. Can someone explain the question?

Edited by poretl

What I don't understand is the 'jumps in 1hr intervals'

There are two kinds of hand sweep. One type sees the hand move smoothly throughout the hour, as it proceeds around the dial.

The other kind of movement is a rapid jump from hour to hour with no sweeping action at all. Click it's 1 o'clock, click it's 2 o'clock, click it's 3 o'clock

There are two kinds of hand sweep. One type sees the hand move smoothly throughout the hour, as it proceeds around the dial.

The other kind of movement is a rapid jump from hour to hour with no sweeping action at all. Click it's 1 o'clock, click it's 2 o'clock, click it's 3 o'clock

so the GMT is never between the hour markings?

So now yuo make it clear what the question meant. But still, the asnwer provided does not answer that question. TX asked if the GMT jumps and OP answred "GMT hand rotates once every 12 hours rather than 24 as with other watches." He answered but he answered to a different question, one that is clearly answered by the existence of the AM-PM indicator. That's the whole point of this indicator, right?

Edited by poretl