When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

SIHH 2012 Line-up announced today

dluddy

A confused lineup IMO. On some they have gone back to the roots with rep's of some old historics...

And then there is a few that blend Historic Cases with Modern Dials which I am still trying to absorb...

Case in point the 424 Cali Dial with Logo and Date at 3:00 :g:

The whole thing leaves me cold. It just seems like pandering to the Paneristi and their never-ending quest for "vintage" authenticity and the right to say, "No, it's not just a big watch, it's like totally military history legit." The new models using the new 1950's case actually have "vintage" engraved between the lugs. Panerai trades on their history so much you almost forget they were founded in 1993

When you come out with 25 new models every year and call them all limited editions, at least make them look slightly differentiable.

I liked Panerai a lot more before. There isn't one model on this list or even in the current lineup I would have over a simple T-dial 9 with its cheap-o off-the-shelf movement.

I agree with sentiment that a lot of these designs leave me feeling a bit cold... Dunno what to do with Cali dial with faux vintage hands, date window, and OP logo... Sounds like someone was playing design motif mad libs at OP...

In other instances the complications, in house movements, decorations and ceramic case materials seem like anti counterfeiting measures of a kind rather than any conveying any passion or bold statement.

In an effort to maintain perception of exclusivity while fueling the need to move lots of watches to stay profitable the LEs and SEs proliferate. If they stopped raising prices they would sell a lot more units, but kill exclusivity. What a bind

Edited by Jurgenk

Anyone notice anything unusual with this?

Pam392_Cat_Front_D.jpg

Apart from being a 42mm, there isnt much unique about this one. Although it does seem to have the 359 (angus/PT) rep factory crown guard lever....

I'm clearly not alone in feeling that Panerai played mix-and-match in its parts bin this year. (and with the weird lever on the pic above, maybe ransacked a plant in China for parts too)

And yeah, I think a lot of manufacturers are using unique materials to screw up reps - anyone can craft steel, but carbon, ceramic, weird scratchproof gold, etc is much harder to rep.

Edited by kingkaiser

Its the 42 mm , It was immediately noticeable. It is actually a more balance dial compared to the 312.

But agree 100% on the parts been analogy. The collection is a mishmash of bits and pieces from here and there without and really direction apart from making them look like vintages that they are not and bunging an Assolutamente on absolutely every thing it seems , to save $ on Gator straps I bet !!