When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Would You Buy a Gen?

paneraiguy

Sure, I buy gens and reps in equal measure. It depends on cost, availability, and a sense of permanence.

I'll wear a rep Hublot Big Bang because I'm not sure that I'm going to want to wear a watch like it forever, or a rep Franck Muller Crazy Hours since the limited occasions when I would wear a watch like that cannot justify its $10k+ price tag. I'm building a pre-V Panerai since the gen is, for all intents and purposes, entirely unavailable.

A Rolex, on the other hand, is the sort of thing that lasts forever. I have my dad's Rolex, my dad had my grandfather's Rolex (which I'll get eventually...hopefully not for a while, though) and my son will get my Rolex.

Why wouldn't you buy a gen? Especially a vintage gen. You can get vintage Omegas for $300-$600 today. A used well kept Gen is a great bargain. In 1998 I bought a 1957 Oyster Perpetual that I felt was an incredible value.

I shop at Lord & Taylor.. I also shop at Target .. My watch buying is no different. Some of the ETA engined Reps are exceptional values for what you are getting. I think it's foolish to paint yourself into a corner. Buy a well made watch(Gen or Rep)-wear it- be happy or Buy an OK watch-Mod it- be happy or Buy a box of parts- assemble it- be happy.

• Like 1

Yes something that is a classic or a future classic where there is very little risk of loss on the long run. If you have the right watch is is probably the best investment ever think of the person who bought a 1970 sub with red lettering and compare that $200 investment (but bought because they wanted a good watch rather than investment) to the value today!

I own a few gens, and I'm seriously thinking about selling them and buying more reps instead. That said if I had throw away money theres a couple of super high end watches I'd consider.. stuff that we're unlikely to see replicated properly any time soon like Lange and Richard Mille.

I can't see myself getting a gen anytime soon, partially due to financial reasons. I do have a passion for watches, but it's wavered over the last couple of years. At times I think that spending £2K+ is ridiculous on a watch and at other times I think about buying the "ultimate grail" and wearing it for the rest of my life and then passing it down :D The peace of mind is appealing but I'm not sure how soon boredom will kick in ;)

I've always made money off of well bought used gens. I've usually lost money on my reps. Both have their places in a collection. I had reps of most of my gens before I owned the gen. Most people I meet cannot tell the difference between rep and gen and those that can and usually amazed at the quality of the reps. Either way I appreciate anyone who can have a conversation about watches.

To answer the question I would buy a gen, but only used and if I can get it for a great deal that I know I can get my money back out on the drop of a dime.

That's a good question. I stated collecting watches back in the late 60's. My firts was obviously a gen. A rolex Date 1050 to be more precise. I cannot describe the pleasure of owning that classic, which at that time sold for aroung $ 350. That was a lot of money then, when (1968) a Volkswagen beatle was selling for $ 1.777 in the US. A Rolex entry level watch was aprox one fourth the price of that car.

I kept on buying gen - one every 4 or fiveven though years - until reps came out in the late 80's. We are talking about very primitive, base metal copies, powered with Miyota quartz movemenhts, that kept perfect time, for the $ 20 you'd spent. back at that time, I had five gens, but I wouldn't wear them as much as the reps. The reason was simple. with $ 100 a year I could have five new watches, whose gen version I could not afford. Now, I have around 180 watches, one third of them being replicas. Istill, I wear the reps about 80% of the time.

Would I still buy a gen ? Yes. I'm saving for a Breguet Tyoe XX that sells for about 4 or 5 K in the internet. Why would I pay that much for a gen ? Because nothing feels like the real thing, that simple !!!

This is MHO

Cheers