When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

here is what I built over the Xmas break

seriph

Just installed this baby last night and filled it... it is destined for a walk in rode I hope to build, but until then it goes into the corner of the bedroom .... BTW I only built the top section .... the bottom four drawer chest is an original Victorian item I restored years ago. Both are made from Australian Cedar from Queensland. What I used was milled in 1960 and warehoused until I bought it in 1991 with the intention to make 'special' things out of it.

I am happy with it and at least I have a place for my bits and pieces now. Definitely needs a few more watches and pens to round things off though... and before you ask, yes the tie drawers are full ... not just stuck 'up front' for effect.

:D:D:D:D

GentsDresser12.jpg?t=1327280341GentsDresser1.jpg?t=1327279544

GentsDresser4.jpg?t=1327279493GentsDresser9.jpg?t=1327280356

Edited by seriph

Oh yeah .... just wish I had the money to go with the skills!

:D

Thanks mate - it was a wild ride. In all seriousness, it is a great feeling to take what looks like crap to the untrained eye and transform it. I guess that's what all people do or can do when we allow ourselves the time and freedom to have a go until we get it right

Looks very nice, you did an excellent job of matching the finish and coloration. :tu:

Thanks mate - it is slightly lighter but that's because it'll darken over time and end up about right .... of course, starting with the RIGHT timber in the first place helped a LOT. So many people in Australia at least, think that because Pine has oak stain on it, it's oak! I used two stains on this one ... the first to darken the second to make a little more gold/brown. As you'd know, cameras are unforgiving on such things, so this match is pretty close.

BTW I decided not to 'age' it. Pretty much ran out of time (back at work today) but really thought that it was nice enough and didn't really need to 'match' to look nice. It takes me about as 50% of the making time to detail-age a piece!

Cheers

You got a lot of pens my friend :)

... and a few more on their way, over time. But only Montblanc Limited Editions from now on.

Thanks upland. We can't get birch here unfortunately but I love it too. One thing I learned in the UK really opened my eyes ... what mattersmost is not what somethings made out of but what its made into

That's a lovely set of pens there... great work.

... and thanks to everyone for the kind remarks - thinking I might do a desk next.

Have a look at wooton patent secretary.

Edited by seriph

Phoband .... the desk will be a while coming, I reckon mate - although I do have a very bad replica here that I could modify ... was gonna break it up but maybe I'll completely mod it

Been thinking about the iphone dock/alarm/DAB+ radio etc. idea ... and think I'll make a replica coffin/casket radio like this - might look good sitting on top of the cabinet

Morse_Crosley_Super_Three.jpg

Very cool. I wish i had my grandfathers shop/ garage. He passed in 1984. I do have a few of his tools, table saw, grinding polishing wheel and a handfull of oddities. If your making a coffin or iPhone dock, you may want to look at like a stamped croc pattern leather hide. They even have horn back. Could make a nice accent.