When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Tutorial - how to spot a fake rolex by "pawn stars"

fotoman

Classic!!!

"come to a guy like me. Don't buy one off the street"

"fake rolexes always leak"

"there is no such thing as a stainless steel Rolex with the day and the date" :g:

I believe Ubi could set the record straight on that comment!!

Nice find A!!! Thanks for sharing

"come to a guy like me. Don't buy one off the street" so funy!!

This guy is hilarius!

I also want to coment on that............. :inverted:

Everything is perfect in a rolex?Come on where is this guy from mars?

My gen DSSD broke the bracelet clasp while jet sking and falling of to hit the fiber hull and have the bracelt brake into 2 pieces!

Nothing is perfect in the watch world unless you get a mil spec watch !!

What was the model of the SS DD?

It's very rare and has been seen auctioning at obscene prices. Most people - even Rolex people - don't know it exists. Can't fault the pawn guy for saying it doesn't.

Check out ubi's: http://www.rwg.cc/to...ate-plus-a-day/

In fact, the things the pawn guy says are all very, very reasonable even if known by rep maniacs like us to be less than 100% accurate. He's simply reporting what he knows and has learned from his experience owning a pawn shop. I'm sure most of what he sees is canal street stuff.

Edited by chieftang

If you haven't seen the show pawn stars. Rick is pretty knowledgeable on lots topics. It's a great show, people coming in with random crap, if it's valuable, he brings in an expert then they haggle. They are in vegas so they get lots of interesting things. Mondays show, he bought a guitar owned by les paul's wife which was used in stage on album jackets. And lots of documents, correspondence, signed by les. He paid 90,000$ for it.

He is actually very fair, at least on tv. Ricks a good dude, his father drives a harder bargain and his kid is still sorting things out.

It's a very popular show in the US. I knew you guys would get a kick out of it.:)

Thanks for the video pho...I remember seeing this a few years back. All I could think about at the time was...has this guy been exposed to a really well made rep? :g:

I guess he has..and what he says is true for the most part...most part that is.

By the way...this is a "Cyclops" Idiot

Mike

post-19368-0-02977100-1327418015.jpg

Nice Franken. Not an official Rolex product though. The Pawn Shop guy is correct. There is no Rolex President DayDate in SS. :yawn:

Again, very nice Franken.

It's very rare and has been seen auctioning at obscene prices. Most people - even Rolex people - don't know it exists. Can't fault the pawn guy for saying it doesn't.

In fact, the things the pawn guy says are all very, very reasonable even if known by rep maniacs like us to be less than 100% accurate. He's simply reporting what he knows and has learned from his experience owning a pawn shop. I'm sure most of what he sees is canal street stuff.

Edited by superlative

Nice Franken. Not an official Rolex product though. The Pawn Shop guy is correct. There is no Rolex President DayDate in SS. :yawn:

No, the pawn guy is incorrect. There was Rolex Day Date in SS. Research it on VRF and see for yourself. :-) Ubi made frankens of a real Rolex.

Edited by chieftang
  • Like 1

From what I remember, they were very rare and given to Rolex watch smiths. Or something like that? But they do exist ;)

Yes it is true and the watch with black dial is mine now and it is for sale now so i can pay off my debt from purchasing the gen Daytona116520 and the Sub-C 116610.

Check these links out:

http://www.network54...+Steel+Day-Date

http://www.network54...at+do+you+think

http://forums.timezo...611#msg_2760633

My thoughts as well. Nothing wrong with what the pawn guy said,there are very few that could dispute his comments. "In general" statements like his are accurate according to 9 out of 10 dentists.

1 of the TZ Mods has a SS DD. Like Chief said, real/rare.

And while we have to worry about passing our reps as real,imagine trying to pass that gen as gen....

Not that it matters,thats why i wear gens,its only i that cares if its truely gen or not to me, but it is funny to think of a conversation between a guy calling a SS DD out and the rare guy wearing one.... :1a:

You whats funny is that today when you wear a real one,everybody asks if it is a fake !LOL!

Most times like Dave123 says the originals have harder time to pass as gens.

Steel day dates were nit that rare ,maybe in the US market but in Europe they sold several.

I always thought them to be entry level versions,my uncle also has one,i thought it was white gold but truned out to be steel,

Its a quite old version,didnt have the time to look at the serials to check for refs but he remebers receiving it sometime in the 70's as corporate gift.

Maybe they choose there market according to what will sell were.

Gold watches dint sell that much as steel in Europe

Anyway in any version i dont like this watch much to begin with.It lacks the looks and sharpness of the old 62xx big crowns and the 5513 !

I am not sure these people know if they open a movement if they can tell,they might though.