When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gen scratches vs rep scratches

FDG

Hi all,

Just wondering, is there a lot of difference between the scracth resistance of both a rep and gen Rolex? What is your experience?

A lot of small swirls etc? Or bigger badder scratches?

My rep milgauss used to scracth quite a lot, while my gen sub c didn't have a lot of scracthes. But my mothers datejust is also quite scracthy.

If both cases are 316L steel (most Rolex cases prior to about 1995 used 316L), scratches should appear the same. Some Rolex owners have reported that newer Rolex cases (made from higher grade 904L) are slightly more scratch resistant than older cases. However, as there is little consistency between reps, it is impossible to make any blanket pronouncements regarding the compostion of a given rep case.

I'd think it has nothing to do with gen or not but with the model. The Milgauss has polished lugs, polished mid links, a polished steel bezel whereas the Submariner 116610 is mainly brushed and has a ceramic bezel. I think scratches are just not as obvious on the Submariner as they are on the Milgauss.

Without access to both makers manufacturing process it's a hard to answer definitively.. but it's a fair observation. Hard steel is a lot tougher to machine and finish than soft steel.. not a major problem for Rolex.. but an obvious area where rep makers make life easier for themselves.

Likewise you'd be silly to trust every rep makers claim to be using a particular steel...

Just to reiterate. Do not think for one second that "316L" rep steel bears any resemblance to most gens. Whether it is sintering (reps) versus forging for gens the processes of forming and hardening the metals are very different. By the way I don't think the Chinese manufacturers have any idea what they are buying. Steel marked 316 which is made in China is notorious for anything but - true in the general industrial market as well. Do you really think rep watches are at the top of the food chain. They are busy saving their better steel for their bullet trains. ;) Okay, bad joke. :bangin: