When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Thinking of converting to AP - where to for a classic RO?

korneevy

Hello folks,

I have been a PAM fan for a long time, and I am thinking of testing out the new waters of AP, and have been catching myself thinking of getting a classic RO in 38mm or jumbo one in 39mm size just to get me started and get a feel of the watch and its style.

The reason for a 38 or 39 mm choice is that in worst case, I can always gift it to my g-friend and she can pull off this size without any issues. I also dont do mega-jumbo watches over 44 mm or rep chronos as a matter of principle and dont like display CB for the obvious reason of rep movement being wrong on too many levels.

After reading up on AP on various forums and some here and looking at a few options from dealers, I've come to realise that the choice is rather limited in RO classic range, and most carry this sort of watch in various dial colors (not sure if the photo will show so below is the URL):

http://www.1-pc8838.com/ap10025-royal-automatic-white-swiss-28242-p-1652.html

In PAM land, there are lots of diferent versions of the same watch (H-fac, N-fac, ultimate, V3, superlumed, etc etc) but I am a bit surprised that the offerings in the classic RO are limited to just one maker + one model only? Am I looking in the right places? I've checked all usual suspects (Josh, Andrew, Angus, even SIiix) and they all seem to carry this exact model, albeit with some minimal price differences.

Now, if I do go with this exact watch, do you care to share your opinions or point me to a thread where it was discussed before as search returns a million of irrelevant threads...

Basically:

- How good it is OTB in your opinion?

- Verdict on the movement - is it gen ETA, condition, need to service upon arrival?

- What are the glaring issues with it (if any) and what needs to change(such as date-wheel?)?

- Any addtional mods to make it nicer (e.g. re-lume)?

- Any cnances of doing away with the metal bracelent and installig a nice leather instead? How hard it is to remove the bracelet? Is it easy to source a decent replacement leather strap?

While browing for othe roptions, I come acros this one, which looks ideal (size, closed CB, leather strap) but it is offered by some dodgy site and it appears none of our dealers carry it:

http://youtu.be/zdX-3YjhIsw

Can you suggest where to source this one?

Probably most of these are lame questions but dont shoot me down on the spot - if you could point me in the right direction to dig these up, I'd be very grateful.

Thanks in adavance!

• 3 months later...

Guys i like it too but i dont know shit about them, experts??

Should this one nhave the seconds hand??

If they dont answere i thin you guys above arew going to have to do some reaserch your selfs and become the experts

I'm also about to pull a trigger on the ultimate so I'll do a bit of 'splainin.

1) 39mm version is not called jumbo, it's called regular RO. 36-38 ranges are all models off 14970, which is the predecessor of 15300.

2) 39mm RO without seconds hand is the current and discontinued jumbo (15202), of which no correct replica exists

3) I never saw a rep of 15300 in person, but from the pics it looks damn nice. Gens DO have a bit of glossy-ness and very discreet sunburst dial, but not as much as rep 15300 pics so you might want to add some matt paint to the dial. Indices/hands are also VERY nicely polished so you probably want to do that yourself too. Gen lume is [censored] poor too so why bother? This ain't a diving watch. No options for strap, not even for gen(ss). If you don't want to spend $400 in aftermarket parts then request your seller to sell bracelet +strap with the neccesary plots Sorry to say that I have never seen quality RO (not ROO) straps from any makers. Most don't make them, and those who make it sell crap for a high price. Go AP OEM if you must have that strap, b/c it's in a totally another world from custom strap, self-made, etc.

3) Where? Most trusted dealers sells them I think. Trusty and puretime has'em for example.

4) I would still wait to see 15400 released b4 making a decision, that's why I haven't bought one yet.

Edited by Avensis

Thats what I assumed but I am definitely looking forward to it.

For all the others the best royal oak to get there is the ultimate. It's a 39mm case based in the 15300.

The only issue with the watch is the bracelet. It needs to be turned inside out for a better fitting and repolished. The dial also needs to be relumed.

Thats what I assumed but I am definitely looking forward to it.

For all the others the best royal oak to get there is the ultimate. It's a 39mm case based in the 15300.

The only issue with the watch is the bracelet. It needs to be turned inside out for a better fitting and repolished. The dial also needs to be relumed.

That's true but even then the quality varies between which dial colour you choose. I have noticed that the white dial has incorrect positioning of the minute markers around the 12 marker. The same issue is with the black version. The blue version doesn't have this issue but the number of the little squares on the dial is 5 from the "audemars piguet" logo to the top, when there should be 6. All in all, if these could be fixed it would be an amazing rep. Lume not an issue for me.

That's true but even then the quality varies between which dial colour you choose. I have noticed that the white dial has incorrect positioning of the minute markers around the 12 marker. The same issue is with the black version. The blue version doesn't have this issue but the number of the little squares on the dial is 5 from the "audemars piguet" logo to the top, when there should be 6. All in all, if these could be fixed it would be an amazing rep. Lume not an issue for me.

That's interesting, I have a blue one and it looks great besides being a bit to dark.

It also has 6 squares as per gen just no lum in between the AP.

That's interesting, I have a blue one and it looks great besides being a bit to dark.

It also has 6 squares as per gen just no lum in between the AP.

That's great then, are you sure its the jumbo ultimate version? where did you get it from? I want one but cant seem to find a good version.