When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Just ordered an new rep, but not a watch!

andreww

I may be a little confused here, since I'm new to rep anything. But why would someone buy replica electronics. Namely these headphones? If we are being honest, is it really more for the aesthetics and status of wearing "cool" headphones out somewhere?

I'm not being a snob, I promise. I'm just trying to see if I'm missing something.

Because for a little more than what you're paying for these reps, you could most likely get something that would blow these out of the water in terms of fidelity (or even bass response if that's your bag).

You are in fact VERY right about these specific headphones. Which is why i refuse to pay the 300euro price tag for the originals. The originals aren't necessarily shitty.. but I can name about 20 different headphones that cost at least half as cheap as the original Beats that are better. The appeal of the Beats, despite being just plain fun to listen to. is their styling. They've got a certain cool factor that other headphones don't have, but they're just too damn expensive.

the $78usd that I paid for the replicas seemed ok, as these sound true to the originals (which honestly don't sound half bad, if they were adequately priced). If the sound quality were shitty, I wouldn't even think of buying these, but as there are many reviews that attested to sound quallity on par with the originals, I decided to bite the bullet. I think the headphones are worth the 75 bucks I paid. Very nice, and very cool looking. Everyone in the office compliments me on the cool design (I only listen to these at my desk.. as I HATE wearing huge headphones around in public. That's why my Westone in-ear monitors are for!)

p.s. if anyone's wondering.. I would put the Beats in the same category as the Bose OE or Bose AE headphones. Both, the Monster Beats and Boses are full of bass and way over priced.. the Beats simply look way cooler than any bose!

I have a pair of Sennheiser HD-25 IIs and they are absolutely phenomenal. I think I paid about 125 for them. I use them for DJing as they are ridiculously accurate.

But they certainly don't look cool. Not even a little bit. I do wonder if these are just extra runs of the original beats. That's an interesting scenario.

• 3 weeks later...

No excuse at all, simply an accurate description of an audiophile: someone who cares more about the quality and presentation of the sound than the sound itself.. And as for 'sucks', I've never listened to music on high quality equipment, I've never had the money or means to do so, and always made do with the head or ear phones which came with the Walkman/minidisc/iDevice I happened to buy, and I've always found it adequate for my needs :pardon: I wasn't trying to put audiophiles down, I just know that I'm not one, nor have any intent on being one. I'm sure I'd appreciate listening to stuff on a high end set up, but at the end of the day, it's just not a subject I really care about :pardon: I was simply curious as to how these rep headphones would perform (not because I want a pair) as a matter of interest :) Thanks for the hardware recommendations though :good::drinks:

well u dont neccesarily need to buy it, at least u can hear and have an idea what i am talking about. bring your some of your favorite cd's, go to audio shop and listen to some high end systems. u can even get a very good sounding system for around 1keur (2 towers+ amp+cd), there are even high quality ipod docks with audio cinch outs u can connect to your amp.

and i wouldnt expect anything from these headphones, as i've heard the top model of these ((cost 400eur or so), i think it was monster beats, even that sounded bad. only positive thing about them is fancy looks, would be better if the logo wouldnt look like brembo's (racing brakes manufacturer) :fool:

http://ww1.prweb.com/prfiles/2007/07/17/540694/BremboLogo02.jpg

I may be a little confused here, since I'm new to rep anything. But why would someone buy replica electronics. Namely these headphones? If we are being honest, is it really more for the aesthetics and status of wearing "cool" headphones out somewhere?

I'm not being a snob, I promise. I'm just trying to see if I'm missing something.

you are not missing anything, they are fashion accesories

well u dont neccesarily need to buy it, at least u can hear and have an idea what i am talking about. bring your some of your favorite cd's, go to audio shop and listen to some high end systems. u can even get a very good sounding system for around 1keur (2 towers+ amp+cd), there are even high quality ipod docks with audio cinch outs u can connect to your amp.

and i wouldnt expect anything from these headphones, as i've heard the top model of these ((cost 400eur or so), i think it was monster beats, even that sounded bad. only positive thing about them is fancy looks, would be better if the logo wouldnt look like brembo's (racing brakes manufacturer) :fool:

http://ww1.prweb.com/prfiles/2007/07/17/540694/BremboLogo02.jpg

If there was a high end store in town, I would definitely do that one day just to hear the difference :) I sold all my CDs to pay for my tattoo equipment, so everything I have music-wise is in mp3 format. Some is stuff I'd ripped from the CDs before selling them, some is from my father in law's music library of stuff he also backed up to MP3, and the rest is MP3s ripped from YouTube at high quality conversion, and then filtered through iTunes on 'lossless' option. A few months back, I plugged my iPod nano into a large rechargeable PA speaker, and was surprised that the sound quality was as good as via headphones or my home speaker/dock, but I did read an article a while back saying that iPods would deliver music at the quality of the MP3, even if hooked up to a professional mixing deck, and that it was the quality of the MP3 itself, (other than the speakers, or course :D ) which was the key ingredient :) I'm not really one for headphones at all, as I find them uncomfortable, but was interested in this topic as it was a review of a replica product, or, as is looking more likely, deliberate factory surplus to allow for backdoor sales :)

I received two pairs of the Studios from Tony a couple of weeks back but I've been pretty busy and haven't had a chance to do an in depth review yet. Wanted to have some time with them first to give a true opinion anyway.

IMG_0257.jpg

My thoughts on the Solos (Rep or Gen)

They are far too overpriced at $250 when you consider the cheap plastic snap together design of these things. That said, they are light and comfortable, and fo those that use earbuds for their iPods, these are a great upgrade. I like the size, weight, comfort and style of the Solos. Most of all, I love the single detachable cable, as with any headset I have ever owned, the cable or plug is always the first thing to go. It will be very easy to get a replacement with these! The Controltalk feature is another great feature, and during the winter when your phone is buried deep in your pocket it makes answering the phone, adjusting volume, pausing and skipping through songs very easy.

The Solos are great commuter headphones, but not for $250.

IMG_0256.jpg

The reps Solos

I was very surprised at the quality of what I received. There are many reviews around, some good, some bad. But keep in mind there are several different manufacturers of these reps, and as an educated rep watch buyer, I did my research before buying. The two sets that I received I would give "Super Rep" status to. They both have one tell each, but aside from that they are identical to the gens in both build quality and sound. Take note that I really don't think the build quality of the gens are anything to rave about, but the reps are no better and no worse. The packaging is virtually identical to the gen. The printing on the box may be a bit darker in spots, but its a box. I does add to the unpacking experience though and its a nice touch. The cable itself looks identical to the gen with all the Monster markings on the plugs and gold plating on the tips. Only difference I could spot is that the reps have a little extra cable between the plug and the Controltalk control. Its about 6" on the rep and about 3-4" on the gen. The ear pillows are just as soft as the gen as is the rubberized head band. All markings are correct, as are the T5 Torx screw on the metal strip on the inside of the headband. The included carrying case is decent but had a very strong plastic smell to it.

IMG_0252.jpg

Of the two pairs that I purchased (Red & White) the Reds were a slightly better quality. The cable on the white model is slightly brighter and not correct. More importantly, the "b" on the brushed aluminium insert is not embossed as it should be. The hinges are much looser too, but I've seen that on the gens as well. The only fault I could find with the Reds is that a bit of plastic between the ear cup and headband should be white, but is instead moulded in red.

As far as the sound goes, I tried the reps head to head with the gens at the applestore and could hear no difference. The sound is very good for any kind of listening but these things really excel when listening to tunes with a heavy bottom end (dance or rap music)

IMG_0254.jpg

Bottom Line

These rep Beats Solo HDs are every bit as good as the gens. I paid about $120 shipped for two pairs, so I think the price good and they are well worth it. In my opinion you won't find a better headphone for that kind of money, so I will highly recommend them!

IMG_0251.jpg

Well, i have the gen Beats studio. Im a producer and dj, and ive been using high quality headphones for the past 17 years, nearly every day.

I can truly say the original beats studios really sound horrible. The build quality is really fantastic, but the units sound really bad. I cant even stand listening to them.

So i guess the reps cant be much worse.