When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How to re-paint a hand ?

Valty

Hello RWG :)

This title explains my question,

DW just sent me 2 seconds/chrono hands for a black Daytona dial, instead of a white Daytona dial.

The consequence is I cannot use it as they are...

...and I was remembering about a member who painted his seconds/chrono hand in red.

So my question is, what paint, and what method to use to make a good re-paint of one hand ?

I can do only two trials :) :)

Thanks !

R.

Well, I have think'd about vernis à ongles (nice translation :p)

But, I don't really know about the resistance of the nail polish into the time ? (cracking, etc.)

Have you tried it in person ?

Hm... I think my GF have not a "ferrari red" nail polish into it's bag...! I will buy a new one for testing if it's finally seems to be the better option to me

About that...

Should I paint only the top of the hand (the visible part), or with the bottom too ?

I don't really know "what to paint", as I don't want to make the hand not usable / fit-able on the movement

...and I was remembering about a member who painted his seconds/chrono hand in red.

It was you Freddy :) A really nice idea, sorry to "copy" :p

--

Thank you both for the tips, it is very appreciated ;)

I will post photos once I have done this work !

For orange hands from the 70s (say, for a Tudor 7032 or a Heuer Carrera), I've gotten good results from Tamiya Enamel Orange X6.

That's in a bottle. Tamiya's spray paints applied very well, but I couldn't find a suitable shade of day-glo orange. The fire-engine red of the sweep hand on George Lazenby's 6238 should be much easier to match.