When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Review Perfect Clone's Planet Ocean

WetWork

Review update:

I got the AR coating smudge taken care of myself, and have a new PO clasp on the way, the old one failed. I contacted Joshua late on Saturday night, he replied right away and took care of the issue with the band clasp immediately. I can't complain about that, because things do happen. It is how they are handled that really shows me something about he company or supplier.

The watch still keeps excellent time and has NO issues at all. I can testify to what was in the review, that winding clockwise or counter-clockwise makes a difference, IF you are winding manually. I like this REP way more than I thought I would and have worn it every day since I got it. I also got a new silicone rubber deployment band that I really like. I personally don't like the PO rubber ones, so I got this one, and it looks great (I think.) Forgive the dust on it, as the silicone likes to attract as much as it can.

post-41881-0-60575300-1329348593.jpg

post-41881-0-68845200-1329348617.jpg

post-41881-0-60213200-1329348835.jpg

I also want to update a part about the Swiss ETA movement. I have done more research, and it turns out that an inordinate amount of ETA movements are in fact shipped to China. Not only that, it seems that there was an interview with the President of ETA where he said that parts were made overseas for non-America and European markets :rolleyes: . When pressed further, he really got vague on whether these parts were also included in "Swiss" movements. He stated, "Swiss movements are at least 50% Swiss and assembled in Switzerland."

As far as re-luming your watch, dial marker and hands, I got a quote for genuine Super Luminova and it was $122. I asked if I could post his info an the site, and he asked me not to because he was so busy. I got quotes for GEN Dial & Hands and the PARTS were roughly $300. To me, it is worth the extra money to get the GEN parts rather than lume REP parts, but that is the information for the forum.

Looking good wetwork, strap is nice but needs a clean, glad to hear the watch is going well! :D

Also just to add, I don't believe the stuff about eta's being shipped to China, that's an old interview but it does have some insights;....Some years ago there were strong rumours alright that eta movements were being produced with eta tooling by Hangzhou and Sea-gull, specifically for the Asian market. If this did ever happen (and it probably did) ...it ended quite some time ago. These days all that would be left over is older stock etc. The whole idea that there are hundreds of thousands of swiss eta movements entering the Chinese replica market now is absurd tbh....even some rep dealers on other forums have sworn this to be true, I personally think that they don't want to break the illusion (and profits) but I'm willing to be convinced otherwise. .......It will take some convincing though! :D

When the likes Richmont and LMVH are struggling to come to terms with, and scrambling for parts due to eta restrictions I very much doubt that brand new swiss eta are making their way into our reps. These are big names that can't get hold of eta movements or parts...the likes of VC, IWC, TH etc.

Good interesting article here:

http://www.reuters.c...E8CI40H20120118

Looking good wetwork, strap is nice but needs a clean :D

LOL, I got it like 20 minutes before that picture. Most of the dust you see is so small, you wouldn't see it if the camera flash & a 500 watt shop light wasn't on it.

So Cougar, your suggestion would be to just get the Asian clone movement, because they are all clone movements, and save the $50 or so bucks?

Same with me, no matter how much I try to get rid of dust before taking a pic of a watch, the dust is always there, I honestly don't know how some people manage to take studio quality pics of watches.

Regarding the asian clone, that's just my take on it, some very qualified watchmakers agree that that is the way to go, so I find myself on their side as they've done full disassembly's of many a rep movement. It's not to say the swiss won't be swiss but just that nobody can really tell anymore, it seems that's the way its gone..... and the clone etas have become so good to be almost indistinguishable anyway. So I'd say save the 50 bucks or so, that's what most are doing these days. In the future who knows, maybe sellita movements will start making their way into most of the higher end reps, in that case there will still probably be a price difference between the eta clones and the swiss sellitas....which are are eta clones themselves, ....ironically :D

I'd much rather have a sea-gull movement than a second hand ETA or franken ETA. I do however hope you get something for that extra $50.

I'm no expert (duh) but to me it looks like a sea-gull in my AT, that was supposed to have an ETA. There were no options to get another movement though.

WetWork - looks very nice, but that's a lot of dust :D

I was actually thinking of selling my 42 and getting the 45!

I had said the clasp failed, and Joshua sent me a new one.

Update, I got it today and it isn't a clasp... it's the entire bracelet!

Joshua is the MAN. Any more reps I get, will be through him... no question. (blue and clear protective wrap still on it)

post-42777-0-59382200-1330037780.jpg

Good man, that's josh and andrew alright, they are pretty damn good at sorting out things like that with decent gestures!

You should buy a cheap 45mm first and see how it looks...the 42mm wrist shot above looks like it fits damn good, although you'd have no issues with a 45mm. What are you 7.5" wrist?

To all you crazy people thinking of selling your 42mm to upgrade to 45mm PO,, just to give you heads up, there seems to be a pretty good deal on an almost full franken 45mm over on repgeek, I have no affiliation with the seller whatsoever and he is stateside so convenient for ye! He said there is a slight problem with the crown, it screws but not great....an easy cheap fix with new crown/tube.

(I may look at it again and think it's not such a good deal, so don't shoot the messenger :D)

http://www.repgeek.com/showthread.php?t=165971

$750 shipped seems pretty good considering an unmodded rep goes for $318

"-swiss eta 2824 with anti magnetic cover,fully serviced and keeps time like a charm!!

-gen dial

-gen hands

-gen crown

-gen tube

-gen he valve

-gen crystal(recoated)

-gen rubber strap

-gen buckle

-moded pearl and relumed by vac

-waterproofed(tested)"

I tried to register for RepGeek so I could buy this watch.

Days after registering and waiting to be verified by an admin, I messaged them that I had a problem with the account and never got the verification email (if they even send one) now days after that... I still have no word from them.

Let's make sure to keep everything locked down and secret so people can't even view the page if not a member, then make joining a total hassle.