When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My two gens, back from the watchmaker...

tabularasa415

So I just received these two watches back from my very talented watchmaker today. We’ll start with my boring ‘ole datejust. It wasn’t passing the pressure test, so he tore it apart, cleaned everything and replaced every single gasket and she’s now good to go… Of course, she’s now sporting a brand new oyster bracelet because I hated the jubilee it came on. Much sportier!

djface.jpg

djclasp.jpg

Next we have my little pet project. I picked up a beautiful (and rare) Tudor Ref. 7909 Oyster Prince 34 “Explorer” from auction packing an E.F. 390 movement. It was listed on the auction as having a broken balance staff, but my watchmaker took his instrument and moved something inside and she started ticking. He completely serviced the movement only having to replace a spring, all gaskets and fitted with a brand new Rolex plexi. I asked him if she passed the pressure test and he looked at me like I was insane and said in his Russian-English accent, “You know I don’t like old watches, and I won’t tell you it’s water resistant no matter what.” With that, he put it in the pressure tester and as we were talking about another project he looked over at the machine and said, “Hmmm, I guess it’s good to go… but I still won’t say it’s water resistant.”

While he was working on it, I found a beautiful specimen of a 6635 stretch rivet bracelet marked “4 67.” I wasn’t sure I wanted to put much money into this project, but after getting it in the mail I realized it only looked horrible in photos because it was just covered in crud. Even my watchmaker was amazed by the case condition… what he originally thought was pitting in the case and case back was crud from disintegrated gasket!

So, here she sits… on my wrist… original brevet crown, water proof and sporting a bracelet almost as old as my mother that was recently Rolex-serviced and looks practically new with all new springs.

I’m not sure she’s for me, but this time capsule watch is going to be worn for a while to find out!

Pictures of the inside prior to service:

tudormovement.jpg

tudorcaseback.jpg

This afternoon in the snow… NOTE: The dial is flawless. There’s a photo where it looks like there’s a flaw on the dial, but that was just a snow droplet :)

tudordial3.jpg

tudordial1.jpg

tudorclasp3.jpg

tudorclasp2.jpg

tudorclasp1.jpg

tudorback.jpg

tudorbrevetcrown.jpg

And those of you who know me, know that I have to have a project. Look at what arrived in the mail today… (all on the same day, even!) :clap2:

1675stuff.jpg

To be continued… :pimp:

Yeah, it's pretty eye-catching. As Freddy said, blued is preferable to blue. At certain angles it looks black. Then, the light hits it just right and it's amazing... There's one thing that rep watches are lacking, and Freddy hit it on the head -- blue vs. blued.