When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Tudor Snowflake on a small budget

prospex44

Hi guys

Firstly, i would just like to echo the sentiments of so many people here and say what a fantastic place this is (can't believe it took me so long to find it), but needless to say, i am glad i have!

Anyway, after seeing such beauties in the Tudor thread, i'm looking to put together a Snowflake Sub but at the same time keep the cost to the absolute minimum.

Please forgive any stupid questions that may follow, i am a complete Snowflake newbie!!

I have a few questions......

1) Can i use any watch as a "starting base" for the Snowflake. I mean, is it simply a case of changing the dial and hands over to the SF set and that's it?

2) Where to get the Snowflake dial and hands. What movements they would fit. Asian 21J or ETA, is it different hand sets required?

3) Where or perhaps how, do you guys get the wonderful aged/faded look to some of the bezels i have seen.

As an example of my thought process here........

I would like something resembling this after i'm done - doesn't have to be (nor would i expect it to be) exactly like this, but you get the idea of model etc.....

BTW, pics was stolen from the Tudor thread, if the OP minds at all, just let me know and i will remove it ASAP. It is gorgeous though!

TudorSnowflake7016.jpg

So, would it therefor, be possible to use something like this to start with...

http://www.silix-pri...109-p-2027.html

If not, would it be possible to start with something like a 5514 or 5513 from Josh at PC, like this...

http://www.1-pc8838....800-p-9668.html

Another thought that occured to me was, that if i used one of the above watches as base for the build, would it be possible (at a later date) to change / upgrade the movement to something like an ETA 2824 or similar. Again, i don't know if the Snowflake dial and hand set would fit an ETA or indeed if they fir the existing asian 21j in these above.

Apologies guys, so many (probably silly) questions, but i really would like to give this a go.

Thanks, your input would be much appreciated!! :notworthy:

A good inexpensive start would be with a Cartel 5512/5513 with clone 2836 movement. Although the clone is a bit more expensive than the a21j I personally have not been able to find "axe" hands for a21j movements. Bezel inserts can be faded by marinating them in a bleach solution.

A good inexpensive start would be with a Cartel 5512/5513 with clone 2836 movement. Although the clone is a bit more expensive than the a21j I personally have not been able to find "axe" hands for a21j movements. Bezel inserts can be faded by marinating them in a bleach solution.

Hi JMB

Many thanks!

Sorry (i wasn't kidding when i said i was a Newbie!) :)

Where would i get a Cartel 5512/5513 with the clone movement?

Any idea where would sell the dial and handset also?

Josh sells the case you are looking for.

As for dial/hands, yukiwatch has them paired fitting ETA for about 160 usd.

À gen crown is in My opinion à Greta way to enhance the build considering the big crown on the 5512 from Josh, however, à new tube Will be needed.

Let me know if you have more questions!

Regards

Josh sells the case you are looking for.

As for dial/hands, yukiwatch has them paired fitting ETA for about 160 usd.

À gen crown is in My opinion À Greta way to enhance the build considering the big crown on the 5512 from Josh, however, À new tube Will be needed.

Let me know if you have more questions!

Regards

Hi tghodin

Many thanks for the response!

Yes, i have many questions i'm affraid!

So, would a 5512 from Josh be a good stating base?

Would i have to add a new ETA movement? If so, would it be a case of simply putting the yuki dial and handset on it?

Thanks

As long as the clone is working and there should be no reason why it should not be, then no need to swap

yes the 5512 would be a good start point and the dial and hands from yuki SHOULD fit

I am sure i have seen a picture of a tudor vintage for sale from one of the dealers

As long as the clone is working and there should be no reason why it should not be, then no need to swap

yes the 5512 would be a good start point and the dial and hands from yuki SHOULD fit

I am sure i have seen a picture of a tudor vintage for sale from one of the dealers

Thanks!

I'm off to look at the dealer sites now!!

While building one would be very appealing in it's nature (and something i really want to do), i would also settle for a nice cheap ready made version as well!!

Thanks again

Ok guys, another potentialy silly question:

If i were to get an ETA 2824 for example (which had a Date wheel), would i still be able to fit a No-Date SF dial?

Do you get such a thing as a NO-Date movement? Or is it simply a question of Both the date and No-date dial will fit?

Thanks

You can get a no date movement but they are less common than the date version and the only difference is that they have a two position crown rather than the three positions of the date movement. Be aware that if your base watch comes with a 2836 then you will not be able to fit a 2824 due to differing crown heights. Putting a non date dial on top of the date movement is not an issue at all.

Thanks for that Andy, great to know!

So, what about dial and hand sets then? would dial and hands be compatible wth both the 2824 and the 2836 ETA's?

I'm just thinking, do you think i would be better going for something like this 5512?

http://www.yourtrustytime.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_103&products_id=624

It already has an ETA 2836-2, so would this just be a case of swapping the dial and hands over to the tudor ones?

Excellent, sounds good.

I'm thinking that a better qulaity "base watch" with the ETA movement already in place might be looking like the better option for me.

What do you think of this as a base to start with?

http://www.yourtrust...products_id=624

If this base watch is ok, then i could simply get the dial and hand set and i'd be sorted! :)

Wait a minute...........sounds way too easy........

Andy

Is the crown guard mod essential for the crown to fit, or is it to make it closer to the real thing?

Also, i kinda like the black tudor sub dial, which was why i was asking about adding a faded look to the black bezel, but the more i look at the blue dial, i really like that as well.

Only problem would be, where to source a blue bezel insert to go with it? And, would the insert be easliy changed over?

you might as well just buy a TIGER "tudor snow flake" knock off if you dont care about accuracy, $100 all done for ya

http://www.ebay.ca/i...=item2eb7f7653d

Ha! Actually, i had spotted these on the Bay the other night.

they do look quite good, but not in the same ballpark as a SF Sub dial IMHO!

asimplefarmer & woof - Yep, those casebacks do look really stunning as well!

Does Jmb do this himself?

Thanks