When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Best insert for 6204?

EMM

Interesting thing I got going here. A few months ago I picked up this really nice 6204 rep:

6422304133_710f83fd30_z.jpg

6422310967_f126e8c093_z.jpg

6422281899_e63023c80b_z.jpg

6422319887_316afc71dc_z.jpg

Cool modded 21j, nice case shape, good brass showing on the bezel teeth, keeps terrible time like a mistreated gen ;). But the insert (as you can see) is just brutal. Looks like a cheap rep insert with a SubC pearl surround filled with yellow clay.

What's the best insert for this model? Yuki's? Not sure what would be correct. Also not sure how to get this one off. ;)

Thanks

Once you remove the bezel (you should be able to pry it off with a butter knife), you should be able to pop the insert out from the rear with your thumbs. Unless it was cemented-in, which could be a problem.

The interesting thing is the gen rotor you have there. In spite of the case & dial being obviously wrong (not gens), at 1st glance, seeing that rotor in there, it almost fooled me. Never saw 1 of those tacked onto a 21j movement before. :good:

That's the one. The movement looks better than it works. ;) But hey, it's a 60 yo watch, so that's not all that hard to pass.

I managed to get the bezel insert off. There's a fairly deep channel in the bezel and it was literally filled with epoxy. Now (obviously) the old insert is torn up.

So what's the best replacement for the insert? The standard 5513/1680? Or the old TOG-style without hashes? Where do I get one?

Most of the 6204s I've seen have no hash mark inserts. Wholesale has them, but not cheap either http://www.ebay.com/...=item483f9c19a3

Maybe one of the cartel dealers would sell you one, they have them on the 6205 and 5510 http://www.1-pc8838....836-p-9099.html

Aging the pearl makes all the difference in the look. I did the epoxy drop and couldn't believe the change. I added the 6mm Brevet '+' crown from RafflesTime and just put an ETA 2846 in it. I really love it.

That's the one. The movement looks better than it works. ;) But hey, it's a 60 yo watch, so that's not all that hard to pass.

I managed to get the bezel insert off. There's a fairly deep channel in the bezel and it was literally filled with epoxy. Now (obviously) the old insert is torn up.

So what's the best replacement for the insert? The standard 5513/1680? Or the old TOG-style without hashes? Where do I get one?

He pm'd me before he put it up for sale, almost bought it. It's a cool watch!

I agree with the silex idea, hope they can help you out.

Thanks for all the compliments and ideas. I may go with the WSO one - but the pearl looks super new and looks like it's missing lume. What do I do there?

JoeyB, what's the "epoxy drop" method of aging a pearl? I'm familiar with the epoxy drop method for making a pearl on a newer Sub or DSSD, but not using epoxy to age it.

Do you mean by WSO the fast shipping Texas guy?

Go to Classic watch parts

http://www.classicwa...rcntr3uukrrppu2

I think you will find better and more correct inserts.

Yes, WSO from Sugarland. As noted by JoeyB above.

Anyway, I ended up shaving the insert with an XActo over and over. Took a ton off of it - maybe 2mm all around. Snapped it around the pearl in the process. But I just put it on and am letting the glue dry (this bezel will not hold an insert with mere tension, and the snap near the pearl made that impossible anyway).

We'll see. If not, I'll consider the crazy expensive one from Classic Watch Parts.