When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Semi-Budget Explorer 1016

jmb

I picked up a "reasonably priced" (<$100) dial from a fleabay seller just to check out the overall quality and I was pleasantly surprised. Although the "lume" is completely dead and the numerals are spaced in just a bit too much the dial printing is crisp and clear. I decided to whip up a quick rep with it and was happy with the results and took a little extra time to assemble both a 2824 version and a 2836 version to compare profiles and crown position.

Here's some pics of the finished product:

Dial:

Dial%202.jpg

Dial%201.jpg

2836 case - note low crown position:

2836%20case.jpg

2824 case - notice more correct higher crown position and slimmer profile:

2824%20case.jpg

Finished product was built with:

2824 Rep case

A2824 movement

Clark T22 crystal

Custom bezel

Rep riveted band

ofrei springbars

BExp%201.jpg

BExp%202.jpg

BExp%203.jpg

BExp%204.jpg

That's who I got the 16660 transitional dial from. Not too bad. He had some 9411 dials for sale but I wasn't crazy about the date window. Overall not too bad for the money. Duke has a dial from him as well. I relumed both just a bit to make it all match the hands.

Good deal.

E

If you do, please let me know if the date window matches. It looks to me as if the dial has the 16:9 display for a Rolex movement, not the ETA. Main reason I haven't snatched it yet. I know the two 16660 dials were pretty decent repainted jobs. The 1016 looks sweet Justin. BTW, parts shipping next week for your magic touch ;)

E

E, I got the dial today and the window looks to be in the correct position and size! I've started modding my cartel case and maybe will have it put together tomorrow and I'll put it up in a thread.

E, I got the dial today and the window looks to be in the correct position and size! I've started modding my cartel case and maybe will have it put together tomorrow and I'll put it up in a thread.

That's great news! Can't wait to see it!

Te only thing I don't like about it is the yellowish lume...

Send me a pic if you can? or post one? I will love to get one, as I already have hands and movement awaiting a dial. The one I sold Manuel got mangled in transit a month back.

E