When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Swiss ETA 2824-2 issues - Fixing it

Hi all,

Been lurking in this forum for the past few weeks (best replica website in my opinion) and first time poster. Just received watches from TrustyTime (one of the recommended websites here).

Ended up spending $700+ on two replicas (a Tag heuer Aquaracer 500m Swiss ETA, and a Omega Planet ocean Ult 42mm also Swiss ETA)

One of the watches arrived 'semi'-dead (the omega one). Reason why I say 'semi' is because the second hand does tick for 2-3 minutes before it stops around the 25 second mark EVERY time. Now i know it may have been a transit issue, but ive been told by my local watch repair shop that the gear was faulty in the first place (nothing was knocked loose). His quote to fix this issue will be $180 (plus labour costs), the watch costed me $350.

So now i have a dead watch, definately more hassle and way more than i wanted to pay for. Not much of a happy camper at the moment. Whats there to do on my end now other than send it back to Trusty time and hope for the best? Are they good in repairing these issues?

Has anyone had a similar issue/experience to share and how it got resolved?

I would first describe the issue to Andrew/Trusty and ask how he would propose to handle this.

1) Sending it back for exchange may be one option - time intense and you have shipping costs

2) Andrew sending a movement for you to replace another option - less than half the waiting and the broken movement covers your movement exchange costs

3) Giving a heav discount on your next purchase might be a third option

First communicate with him and if you are not satisfyed with the outcome, you might involve an mod/admin to get a compromise.

Dee

I can't remember when, or if ever, I have seen a movement with a "gear issue".

If the watchmaker used the term "gear", then you have problem. The odds of a "gear" (the correct term is "Wheel" not gear...) being faulty is next to nil. If indeed the wheel was defective, it would not be able to turn past the damaged teeth and would stay stuck at 25.... Most likely causes could be as simple as the seconds hand touching the bottom of the crystal. If you can, try and find a real watchmaker who at least knows the correct terminology for watch parts. I believe you are being lead down the path...

Never, ever, send anything back to China. Have it sorted out locally or with someone you can trust.

• Like 1

I can't remember when, or if ever, I have seen a movement with a "gear issue".

If the watchmaker used the term "gear", then you have problem. The odds of a "gear" (the correct term is "Wheel" not gear...) being faulty is next to nil. If indeed the wheel was defective, it would not be able to turn past the damaged teeth and would stay stuck at 25.... Most likely causes could be as simple as the seconds hand touching the bottom of the crystal. If you can, try and find a real watchmaker who at least knows the correct terminology for watch parts. I believe you are being lead down the path...

Never, ever, send anything back to China. Have it sorted out locally or with someone you can trust.

Sorry, used the wrong term. What i meant was wheel (still quite new to the terminology) - i thought gear was the closest thing i could think of when he described the fault to me. when it was stuck at the 25min mark, the only way i could nudge it back to work again is if i smack the watch against my palm a few times OR if i started winding the 'k n o b/ stubble on the side' (again sorry, dont really know the term here) until it would move the seconds needle past the 25-27min mark and then it'll start ticking again normally.

I dont want to send it to china, but getting it repaired here locally is gonna cost me half the price of the watch itself, whereas the repair overseas would be for free (although at a huge risk). Have to admit, i kind of regret buying from this dealer (with all the praise they put on their site about the QC), as this is my first purchase and a broken rep watch in two that i have bought ever in my life is not a good sign.

Edited by whiteshields1830

Sorry, used the wrong term. What i meant was wheel (still quite new to the terminology) - i thought gear was the closest thing i could think of when he described the fault to me. when it was stuck at the 25min mark, the only way i could nudge it back to work again is if i smack the watch against my palm a few times OR if i started winding the 'k n o b/ stubble on the side' (again sorry, dont really know the term here) until it would move the seconds needle past the 25-27min mark and then it'll start ticking again normally.

My comment was more towards the watchmaker and his knowledge and ability. Based on your being able to get the watch going by winding it tells me that as I suspected, the wheel is fine, you have another problem with the watch, most likely a rubbing hand...

Sorry I can't offer anything else, good luck in sorting it out. Stuff happens, unfortunately...

Sometimes [censored] happens. The dealer is not producing the watch, he/she only sales it. The QC is supposed to give a general, cosmetic idea about the watch, while timegrapher image gives you a vague clue about the watch's health.

Read this: http://www.rwg.cc/topic/143915-faq-to-service-or-not-to-service-my-thoughts/ (and the how-to in my signature) - excellent views on the subject by forumites.

From my experience, the rep game is a little like gambling but with very good odds, so it's good to be prepared for stuff like this. In any case, even if you repair the watch or have it serviced or whatever, it will still cost you only a fraction of the original.

And trust me - the originals aren't problem free either.

I reccommend sending it back honestly, I had some issues with my PAM, really didnt want to send it back but a did. Andrew fixed it no charge and along the way there was a lot of communication.

Thing to keep in mind is that the whole process is going to take about 7-8 weeks, so you got to go in with a positive attitude, and really..... kind of just forget about it or you'll drive yourself crazy!

Good luck

I reccommend sending it back honestly, I had some issues with my PAM, really didnt want to send it back but a did. Andrew fixed it no charge and along the way there was a lot of communication.

Thing to keep in mind is that the whole process is going to take about 7-8 weeks, so you got to go in with a positive attitude, and really..... kind of just forget about it or you'll drive yourself crazy!

Good luck

Mine was from Trustytime/Andrew and my god 7-8 week turnaround is just ridiculous (given 2 weeks to send to and 2 weeks to send back, leaving 3-4 weeks for repair?!). How was the repair? cause when i was asking around, when it gets repaired its only going to cause more issues down the road as the watch was made faulty in the first place. After hearing that i just want the watch replaced rather than repaired. This whole experience is horrible and this will definately be the last replica watch i ever buy.

Honestly from just asking a few watchmakers in sydney - NOT a single one of them wants to repair the watch cause it is a replica.

Anyone in sydney, Australia know of a good place to get it repaired (that isnt too fussed that its a replica?).

Mine was from Trustytime/Andrew and my god 7-8 week turnaround is just ridiculous (given 2 weeks to send to and 2 weeks to send back, leaving 3-4 weeks for repair?!). How was the repair? cause when i was asking around, when it gets repaired its only going to cause more issues down the road as the watch was made faulty in the first place. After hearing that i just want the watch replaced rather than repaired. This whole experience is horrible and this will definately be the last replica watch i ever buy.

Honestly from just asking a few watchmakers in sydney - NOT a single one of them wants to repair the watch cause it is a replica.

Anyone in sydney, Australia know of a good place to get it repaired (that isnt too fussed that its a replica?).

Try sending a gen Omega or IWC for repair. If you will get them back within six months, I'm sending you my reps as a gift.

Seriously though, some gens take much longer to fix, than seven weeks. I'm not taking the dealer's side, just stating facts.

I had an issue with my PO from Trusty (different issue altogether), but I sent it back to Andrew and he took care of it immediately. He replaced the watch with a new one rather than fix it, so from the time I sent it to the time I got it back was a little less than 3 weeks.

Andrew's a good dealer and he will take care of you if you give him the chance. I paid $20USD to ship it back and that's way cheaper than any of the options you're talking about.

You may have to wait a few weeks (and believe me I kow how much that sucks), but I think that is your best alternative.

I had an issue with my PO from Trusty (different issue altogether), but I sent it back to Andrew and he took care of it immediately. He replaced the watch with a new one rather than fix it, so from the time I sent it to the time I got it back was a little less than 3 weeks.

Andrew's a good dealer and he will take care of you if you give him the chance. I paid $20USD to ship it back and that's way cheaper than any of the options you're talking about.

You may have to wait a few weeks (and believe me I kow how much that sucks), but I think that is your best alternative.

I dont mind getting a new one altogether rather than a fix. According to Andrew though, a fix should do it (though im not comfortable that just replacing the 'movement' gives me confidence that issues with the watch wont happen again).

Will be sending it out monday - trusting on you guys about this, i hope i do get it back in 3 weeks or so... :g:

Welcome to the hobby buddy :) your deffinatly doing the right thing sending it back, it will be worth it in the end, at least you got a 2nd rep to wear whilst you wait. :)

Good luck and don't worry bud it will be fine, most of us have been here at some point. They're call trusted dealers for a reason.

Cheers

Ry

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know how long it takes to post between china internally from experience?

I was on a business trip to HK, so i thought sending it in HK wouldve been quicker than sydney. However, when i sent it out it was the 15th March, its been over 2 weeks and it still has not arrived to the china location to return the watch for repair.

Seems ridiculous to me that it takes over 2 weeks to travel so close to the place. In sydney 2 weeks will arrive at USA by now.

I'm trying to figure out just exactly what part inside a 2824 costs $180!!! I think you need to find another watchsmith.

Zig - I have had several Asian 2824/2836 with "mal-formed", or buggered, gear teeth on assorted wheels. Luckily "real" ETA parts have dropped right in with no problems...

+1

You can find brand new complete Swiss ETA 2824's for less than that. I'd track down another watchsmith if I were you.

Hes the only one around the area of sydney that was willing to fix it. I tried 5-6 other places and none of them wanted to touch a rep watch - they all shunned it off and said they cant help. They even told me a swiss eta from a rep is not a eta (without even opening it).

Yeah the price is ridiculous just to fix the issue, I could understand if it might be half that with markup/time etc but he is way too expensive. You'd be better served buying one of these st2130 (a2824) clones an learn how to fit it yourself ($72), it's not too difficult, or even buy one and ask him how much he'll charge for a swap...it'd be interesting to hear his quote!

http://www.ebay.com/...=item231b8a0f3a

btw the seller is in Oz, so not too long to wait for these parts and ask him for a cheaper shipping price ;)! A few people have used these in the current PO's...they are a straight swap.

Also as said earlier, some of the TD's are very good at helping out in these situations, you should let him know, even ask for a movement from him if you don't want to ship it back!