When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Setting Time With Eta

Spatten1

Please don't flame too hard if this is a dumb question:

I have two reps with ETA movements. I fly a lot and have to set my watches often, ususally one hour back or forward.

Is it OK to turn the hands counterclockwise when setting an ETA watch? Can it cause damage?

I would say this is a bad idea, i aways wind forward, i know it is a pain with the date having to wind a month minus a day forward and wind it on to get the date change and time right but that would be a good cause to a GMT so that you ncan indipendantly set the gmt hand to where you are and leave the main hands on your home time.

I don't think it's as clear cut as that.

Both my Gen Tag Carera (2824-2 based) and Omega SMP allow for time setting forwards or backwards. Only the Omega has a warning about the quick date setting between 8pm and 2am, advising for it not to be used.

IME with the 2824 I've not had any issues going forwards or backwards.

This is interesting... I recall hearing about this a long time ago but had totally forgot...

So am I correct in thinking this applies for all mechanical watches or is it speicifically for ETA movements?

Does this mean if you have a watch that gains, say, 30 seconds a day resulting in a reset every week or two, you end up doing this routine every time?

This seems to be one of those subjects that has no definitive answer and is most certainly movement dependant.

Yes there is a finite possibility, if the watch is not in tip top condition, that setting the time backwards could find the escapement is a certain position that would cause the roller pin to jump the pallet fork or break against the fork, stopping the watch when the crown is pushed back in.

However, from the texts I've read this is a rare scenario but not unheard off.

If you are crossing time zones on a regular basis then setting the time by just winding forward will cause more wear than necessary. If you only have to go back one or two hours then the 'risk' involved in setting backwards is outweighed by the additional wear you will cause by winding forwards 24 hours.

Setting the date as I indicated above should be observed though.

A dual time zome GMT watch might be a good idea and an excellent excuse (if you need one!) to buy another watch :)

EDIT:

I've just check my Tissot PRS516 (2836-2 based) and it makes no mention of problems setting the time or Day/Date backwards, I'd say set it backwards or better still, buy a GMT for Xmas!!

slighlty OT but hopefully ok... when setting your watch is it ok to spin the hands fast or should you turn them at a slow speed? Usually when I set my watch I kind of run my thumb and finger accross the crown advancing the hands too fast ot see, they just kind of jump until I am close then fine tune... is this bad or when the crown is pulled out does it remove enough friction that it doesn't straing the gears much?