When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

PreV and loving it - 201A

Watchmeister

A number of folks have shown great Pre-V projects and now its my turn. With phenomenal casework done by W0lf providing the best Pre-V case I have ever seen and a FGD dial and hands redone by Ziggy in tritium whose glow matches my A dials I couldn't be happier. For this quality of project I had to break out a virgin strap. :)

DSCN0377.jpg

DSCN0359.jpg

DSCN0373.jpg

DSCN0362.jpg

DSCN0363.jpg

DSCN0378.jpg

That looks amazing!!! Congrats! :tu:

I just got my w0lf case in the other day. Almost have all the parts I need for my Pre-V 205a ;) I must say, I have never seen a case this gorgeous!!!! It is truly incredible work and well worth every penny spent on it!!!

Ohh yeah, that's what I'm talking about, spring has been generous to the NYC :) Not sure what those climate change folks are bumping their gums about..

btw, all noob cases have a strap notch, on the 111J, which is what was used in your build, the strap notch is actually a strap lip and is quite hideous:

PreV_vs_111J-2-1.jpg

Since the gen has no strap notch, I also remove it from the case in addition to many other things; this is what the case looks like with that beautiful strap removed:

MV_case_notch.jpg

Compare to the genuine case from the famous Chatel service photos:

DSC00092.jpg

Ohh yeah, that's what I'm talking about, spring has been generous to the NYC :) Not sure what those climate change folks are bumping their gums about..

btw, all noob cases have a strap notch; 111J, which is what was used in your build, the strap notch is actually a strap lip and is quite hideous:

Since the gen has no strap notch, I also remove it from the case in addition to many other things; this is what the case looks like with that beautiful strap removed:

Compare to the genuine case from the famous Chatel service photos:

How do you remove the strap notch if it's already less metal on the case?

How do you remove the strap notch if it's already less metal on the case?

You have to take off metal, essentially you rework the whole area between the lugs. The key is to take off just the right amount as you must be wary of cutting into the caseback lip area and the gasket groove, you can see in the caseback shots there's plenty of sidewall left. You also have to observe the ever so slightly curved geometry of this section so it doesn't look off, similar to the main curve of the midcase. When you take off metal you must maintain the continuity of arcs, a signature OP case element, which is the hardest part for me personally since there's so little extra metal to work with.

I've done this more than a few times, it's tedious but the results are worth it.

Stunning watch - Congratulations!

That case looks so good and so right - even to those, like me, who don't completely understand all the work that goes into the reshaping.

Thanks for the informative threads - especially the Chatel service one.

One day - I too aspire to put together a 201/A that honours the spirit of the breed.

Wear it well!

• 2 weeks later...