When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Life of a "Daily Driver"

Sofakingraw

Gents,

Looking for some feedback on what type of life people are getting from higher end reps? I've had a few pieces in the past that give a solid year or two, nothing I've every aquired has lasted beyond that. I should give a little context, I've never pulled one from a trusted dealer from the site..I rolled into things without my due dilligence so that's what cha get.

PC's has me really thinking about going all in on one, just trying to understand what I'm getting into here with something that is higher on the $ scale.

It varies, no doubt they should last many many years of perfect use so you may have just had some bad luck. There is no reason a rep can't last as long as any gen if the movement is clean and it's reasonably looked after...you have to give us more info...i.e. what sort of movement in the reps you have had? a7750 for instance can be more temperamental than say a simple 2824. Christ I have a cheap tag heuer kirium a21j from 1997 and it's still going strong.

It varies, no doubt they should last many many years of perfect use so you may have just had some bad luck. There is no reason a rep can't last as long as any gen if the movement is clean and it's reasonably looked after...you have to give us more info...i.e. what sort of movement in the reps you have had? a7750 for instance can be more temperamental than say a simple 2824. Christ I have a cheap tag heuer kirium a21j from 1997 and it's still going strong.

I believe that's the real key to longevity, movement cleanliness. I have made it a practice to have every one of my reps serviced by a competent watchmaker. Most were suffering from Double D, dry and dirty. If you send it off or learn to service one yourself, there is absolutely no reason why the simple movements shouldn't last for many years. Having said that, some of the more complex movements with added modules, gear train modified,etc to make the movement try to do something that it was not designed for, can give you lots of problems even if cleaned and adjusted by a competent watchmaker.Also some of the "clone" movements in the past have not been up to the quality of the Swiss ETA movement they were copied from.

Hi folks. My first ever rep, the Steelfish SuperOcean blue with ETA2836-2 (verified swiss movement) has lasted almost 4 years now. Have been using it a lot. It seems to be a good quality item, this was almost 360USD at the time of purchase.