When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Modding Josh's 5513

prospex44

Hi guys

Just finished stage 2 of my 5513 modding project and wanted to share some pics of it so far.

You might recall, i received this 5513 from Josh a few weeks ago. It's the much loved $118 watch that is such good value for money!!

Here it is fresh out the box...

IMG_4578.jpg

IMG_4577.jpg

Anyway, after changing the crystal to a domed tropic, and also aging the bezel insert, it now looked like this - which was Stage 1 complete!

IMG_4668.jpg

IMG_4666.jpg

So, although i was really happy with these mods, i still had a number of things that needed doing to this one to make it as good as it could possibly be (within a very limited budget i might add!)

The more i looked at the stubby CG's and the large crown, the more i realised it wasn' like the gen at all. Being on a limited budget, i didn't really want to have the added expense of purchasing a Gen crown/tube as i would also need to buy the tube instalation tool as well.

So i decided to have a go at reducing the existing crown in size and also re-shaping and softening the case and re-shaping the CG's.

I also ended up changing the crystal to a flatter Tropic as well - don't know why, i just prefer this one!

Anyway, here is the watch before any case or crown work.

IMG_4815.jpg

And a similar shot after the crown reduction and re-shape.....

IMG_5025.jpg

IMG_5045.jpg

While i had the tools out, i also re-drilled the lug holes to accept Gen bars.....

IMG_5034.jpg

IMG_5033.jpg

Again, this is the first real mod work i have attemped on a Rep, and while it's not perfect, i think it was a few hours well spent in terms of what it adds to the watch. I suppose this all pretty subjective - one man's poison and all that - but IMO it is well worth the time and effort.

IMG_5041.jpg

IMG_5051.jpg

Here is a comparison shot of the modded 5513 case on the right and a standard Josh Unmodded case of the left.....

IMG_5060.jpg

When put side by side like this, it becomes more obvious!

IMG_5054.jpg

Some more comparisons of the case softening and re-shape.

IMG_5062.jpg

IMG_5065.jpg

IMG_5066.jpg

So that is it done for the meantime............i think what will be the final stage 3 is to re-lume the dial and also the pearl, and then it'll be complete!

IMG_5040.jpg

In the meantime, going to wear and enjoy this one for a while i think!

Thanks for looking guys!

:)

Looks very good imo! How did you reduce the crown size? My Josh 1680 could use a smaller crown as well... ;)

Thanks very much!

It was actually another members' idea on how to reduce the crown size. I removed the crown and put in into a power drill (loced it into the chuck. Then, while it rotates - doing all the work - you can simply shave off as much as you like, within reason of course!

I was a little unsure about this TBH, but it worked out very nicely IMHO, looks better than the original crown and also means no other mods are required, so no need for any tubes changes etc.