When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Red Sub 1680

Rolexaddict

I just finished a 1680 for a member here,

- MBK case,

- Gen complete bezel assembly with gen insert and pearl,

- Gen plexi,

- Gen tube and crown,

- Unknow dial origin, but very sharp prints,

re-designed CG,

lugholes re-drilled 1.30 as 1.20 is to tight for gen Rolex springbars,

complete relumed dial, hands and pearl,

movement : ETA 2824.

Enjoy photos :)

jim01.jpg

jim02.jpg

jim03h.jpg

jim04.jpg

jim05.jpg

jim06.jpg

jim07.jpg

Edited by Rolexaddict
  • Like 1

Results are good, nice job.

I am not clear on some of the items you did for the mods.

I would have liked to see before and after pictures of the CG's to see exactly what was done.

For the dial lume, is there a reason why is the lume not smooth?

It looks like the lug holes are chamfered on the outside of the lug, is that correct or is it only in the pictures?

I have done many of these same mods, but what I am asked to do is quite different than what you are showing. My lume is smooth and puffy, the lugs have no chamfer and the CG's end up quite thin. It would be nice to know what is correct, or is there a variety that is acceptable. For the lugs holes, every gen I have in the shop has flat edges, no chamfer, and my '63 5508 has nice puffy round smooth lume as do all the other gen's I have seen in the shop.

Is there something I am missing or doing wrong?

Thanks for the insight...

Guest zeleni kukuruz

Amazing!!!

Ones again you show that you are the man for a vintage rolex dosent matter wich model as long as it's vintage your the man! Ones again your talent speaks for it self.

To me the hole watch looks fantastic and very well made, Crown Guard's, vintage lume ect ect.

Thanks you for sharing RA. The member getting this will have some envy friends starting right here in this topic ;) i can see!

Results are good, nice job. I am not clear on some of the items you did for the mods. I would have liked to see before and after pictures of the <ACRONYM title="Crown Guard"><ACRONYM title="Crown Guard"><ACRONYM title="Crown Guard"><ACRONYM title="Crown Guard"><ACRONYM title="Crown Guard"><ACRONYM title="Crown Guard"><ACRONYM title="Crown Guard"><ACRONYM title="Crown Guard"><ACRONYM title="Crown Guard"><ACRONYM title="Crown Guard">CG</ACRONYM></ACRONYM></ACRONYM></ACRONYM></ACRONYM></ACRONYM></ACRONYM></ACRONYM></ACRONYM></ACRONYM>'s to see exactly what was done. For the dial lume, is there a reason why is the lume not smooth? It looks like the lug holes are chamfered on the outside of the lug, is that correct or is it only in the pictures? I have done many of these same mods, but what I am asked to do is quite different than what you are showing. My lume is smooth and puffy, the lugs have no chamfer and the <ACRONYM title="Crown Guard"><ACRONYM title="Crown Guard"><ACRONYM title="Crown Guard"><ACRONYM title="Crown Guard"><ACRONYM title="Crown Guard"><ACRONYM title="Crown Guard"><ACRONYM title="Crown Guard"><ACRONYM title="Crown Guard"><ACRONYM title="Crown Guard"><ACRONYM title="Crown Guard">CG</ACRONYM></ACRONYM></ACRONYM></ACRONYM></ACRONYM></ACRONYM></ACRONYM></ACRONYM></ACRONYM></ACRONYM>'s end up quite thin. It would be nice to know what is correct, or is there a variety that is acceptable. For the lugs holes, every gen I have in the shop has flat edges, no chamfer, and my '63 5508 has nice puffy round smooth lume as do all the other gen's I have seen in the shop. Is there something I am missing or doing wrong? Thanks for the insight...

For the crown guards :

I removed little metal inside -most was burs coming from background machining- Also from the bottom, according with gen cases, this case had to much metal at the crownguards bottom area Then make the outside crownguards just a very little more pointy removing material only by strong high speed polishing using silicon tools. According whith what I have seen, imho its enough,

the gen tube installation need 2 different diameter drills, re-threading, then a cone (chamfer) 3.9mm at the base and 5.0mm on the top

For the lugholes :

I have noticed this on my picture and was sure some will ask : its the picture effect,

lugs were already drilled at 1.2mm, I just made a new pass at 1.3 for a fluid clearance with gen Rlx springbars, no outside case face chamfer

The lume :

This granulous and irregular aspect is due to the products I use. Depending the ratio chemical/medium it can shrinks a little, but its what I wanted and looks like what I observed. Also this result is amplified by the photo light and contrast

Edited by Rolexaddict

For the crown guards :

I removed little metal inside -most was burs coming from background machining- Also from the bottom, according with gen cases, this case had to much metal at the crownguards bottom area Then make the outside crownguards just a very little more pointy removing material only by strong high speed polishing using silicon tools. According whith what I have seen, imho its enough,

the gen tube installation need 2 different diameter drills, re-threading, then a cone (chamfer) 3.9mm at the base and 5.0mm on the top

For the lugholes :

I have noticed this on my picture and was sure some will ask : its the picture effect,

lugs were already drilled at 1.2mm, I just made a new pass at 1.3 for a fluid clearance with gen Rlx springbars, no outside case face chamfer

The lume :

This granulous and irregular aspect is due to the products I use. Depending the ratio chemical/medium it can shrinks a little, but its what I wanted and looks like what I observed. Also this result is amplified by the photo light and contrast

Thanks for the feedback.

I normally grind down and re-finish the CG's to about 50% of the thickness you have shown.

Guest zeleni kukuruz

@curl...

There is nothing wrong with your CG's on your new 1680 that RA did!

People need to check there eyes from time to time ;) or book a poinment at the envy doctor ;)

Guest zeleni kukuruz

The color patina of the dial is what makes it for me. Looks great. Now I want one. Dammit!

Yeha your right! RA did my last gmt dial using the same lume and it is amazing! He is very talented!

@curl...

There is nothing wrong with your CG's on your new 1680 that RA did!

People need to check there eyes from time to time ;) or book a poinment at the envy doctor ;)

;) haha...I now I now that, no problem for this...it's an forum with people who love the replica. I think the job is well done, simply.

Edited by curlflash

Guest zeleni kukuruz

;) haha...I now I now that, no problem for this...it's an forum with people who love the replica. I think the job is well done, simply.

Yepp it realy is. Enjoy it mate :)