When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Pesky Triplock crowns and a question

gavidoc

Need some help gents.

qUick backstory.

I have a gen 1680. The crown doesn't want to screw down all the way. I have (what I think) is a gen triplock crown sitting in my parts bin.

So I do the following:

1. Note the location of the "Rolex Crown" on the....Crown in relation to the case.
  2. Remove the old crown and stem.
  3. Test fit the the replacement crown (which I think is gen) and it goes all the way down on the crowntube like it is supposed to. The "Rolex Crown" on the crown lines up in the exact same place in relation to the case as the original one.
  4. I say to myself, "Yes!"
  5. I remove the old crown from the stem and install the 2nd crown (which I think is gen)
  6. I reinstall the stem/ 2nd crown combo.
  7. I can't close the darn crown now. It won't engage the crowntube threads. It now appears that the stem is TOO long.

My question: Does this make sense? Would I have to adjust the stem to fit a different crown or do I have a rep crown and think it's a real crown? Reason I thought it was a real crown is that I have 2 other rep crowns in my parts bin (both from MBW builds) and they wouldn't fit the tube.

I can take some pics of the culprit tonight for identification.

Even if both crowns are gens, there are multiple versions of Triplock crowns with varying dimensions. So even when replacing 1 gen crown for another (assuming differing versions) could result in an ill-fitting crown.

By the way, there is no relation to the orientation of the coronet on the face of the crown & it proper fitment of either the crown or tube. Orientation of the coronet is mostly luck-of-the-draw (dependent on tube dimension/position, depth of tube in the case, length of stem, thickness/condition of gaskets, etc).

Pics of the bottom of the crown in question will help.

I'll take some tonight and post them. It looks JUST like the ones on my subs. Same dimensions, nice coronet, everything. Never seen one this good. That's what I get for getting my parts mixed up. I had two real ones. Used one and then completely forgot about this one till the other day digging through my random bits and pieces.

Even if both crowns are gens, there are multiple versions of Triplock crowns with varying dimensions. So even when replacing 1 gen crown for another (assuming differing versions) could result in an ill-fitting crown.

Turns out this was the problem Freddy. I bought the 1680 after it was just serviced. It had a new tube and crown installed. I swung by my AD today who also services watches and he said that when they replace crowns it isn't uncommon to have to trim or replace a stem to fit a new crown.

Took one look at my 1680 and said the stem was too long. Took it in the back, trimmed the stem and now the crown screws down all the way. Now perhaps the problem arose since the 1680 might have had a 702 crown or maybe it was a 703. Ill never know.

He also took a look at this crown and said it was genuine. Here is the bottom of it. I can't get a good clean shot of it so these will have to do. Turns out the travel of the crown when you push this one in is 1/32 less than my 1680 crown yet the travel is shorter then my 5513 crown by 1/64.

post-5355-133540512836.jpg

post-5355-133540518839.jpg