When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Noob SMP question.

Scuffler

Hey guys, I'm a noob.

I just got back from shanghai on business and picked up what I thought was a good SMP. BUT it keeps stopping every so often.

My question is: can I easily fit a new movement?

I've done a bit of looking around (there is a lot to take in!) and come up with a couple of ideas. My watch obviously has a cheap Chinese movement with a plastic ring around it. It measures 26mm and just less than 6mm thickness. Will a DG2813 movement be a direct replacement? Also would it be possible to fit a Seagull ST2130 or will the hands need to be different?

Here are a couple of poor quality pictures.

I understand that you guys probably get asked this sort of stuff all the time but I am trying to learn. Any help would be much appreciated.

post-44360-133536264082.jpg

post-44360-133536257118.jpg

post-44360-133536269973.jpg

Thanks Andy!

Obviously I would like to align the bezel correctly too, but I think it looks decent.

Thanks for confirming about the DG 2183.

Is this what you would do or is there something better quality that would fit?

Do you guys know if the DG 2183 from Cousins is generally reliable or will I always have some slight issues?

Thanks again,

Scuffler.

Yes, you can either get a DG2813 or even a DG4813. Any other upgrade of movement - ETA 2824/2836 - would require new hands.

Take note - the version you have actually has a date overlay - similiar to a Sub. If you remove the movement, you will see the overlay.

Look at the gen and notice where the date window is? So, if you swap movements, you will also need to use the date overlay.

Hope this helps.

Omega-Seamaster-2531.jpg

Scuffler, the only thing that's going to fit in your case (without having to spend coin on mods) is the DG movement. Even that will require new hands...

ST2130 is essentially a 2824 and anything like a 2824 or 2836 will require a new movement holder + hands. Your dial IMO is very poor and likely won't line up with an ST2130 even if you tried it.

Depending on how far you plan to go with mods, you may want to consider finding a rep that already houses a Swiss or Asian 2824...

I've got 3 franken SMPs today and I was in the exact same position you were once. Difference is I got totally cut up when I said I wanted to Franken a 21j :)

Thanks very much guys! Very helpful indeed.

om3ga_guy I did'nt realise I would need new hands on the DG movement. What movement do I currently have? I asumed that was it based on what I could read on the net but obviously not.

Will the DG be a better movement than what I currently have?

Also where will I get the correct hands to fit the DG please?

Many thanks for the explanations,

Scuffler.

Scuffler,

I need to correct myself, the DG movement "I believe" will take the asian 21j hands. It appears you have a 21j movement in your rep currently so you would be ok from that stand point.

Re. which movements better, the DG or the 21J I cant really comment on that. Most of what I work with today are 2824's...I'm sure someone else could chime in.

Edited by om3ga_guy

The 21j is a DG Movement - its a dg2813. There's an upgrade so-called high beat asian movement - DG4813. Your hands will fit that movement.

You're movement holder is plastic - so it can be used for an ETA movement. But if you are going to spend $150+ on a new movement, then spend another $50 on hands - why not just buy an ETA SMP rep?

Scuffler,Let me show you what kind of mess your getting yourself into! Like I said, once upon a time I was in your shoes...Started off with a budget SMP pretty much like yours:-Cost me about $120.00...thought about throwing a gen insert and better movement in it for a while...73765038.jpgThen moved onto another 21j, but an improved version with a pearl mod, better dial and better crystal. Defnitely an upgraded rep than what I had prior to:72951237.jpgThen went to buying an ETA SMP and franken the crap out of it:1. Rep case + back2. Gen dial3. Gen hands4. Gen crown5. Gen HE valve6. Gen bezel7. Gen bracelet (nato in the photo though)8. Swiss manufactured saphire crystal9. Swiss 2836-2 movement93616704u.jpgThen got fed up - went and bought gens (gen quartz and gen SMP - still have them today)21816759.jpg49470566.jpgStarted missing having a franken SMP so I built another 2 weeks ago (on top of my two gens and a franken PO). This is by far my wickedest franken ever...- Gen dial- Gen bezel- Gen hands- Gen crown/tube- Gen rubber strap- ETA datewheel- Mineral crystal (its flat and gen like. OK for now + looks great)- Modded CG's (by Zigmeister)- Rep Springbars- ETA 2824-2photo3eg.jpgMy first words coming into this hobby were, just trying to find myself a clean, budget friendly rep thats half decent (and reasonably accurate). I'm new and would like to learn about the hobby..........and look where I ended up a year and a half later! Put on your seatbelt dude cause your in for a hell of a bumpy ride!

Edited by om3ga_guy

Kevin you've been lucky with finding the right cases. That makes a big difference. great looking watches. Here's my 2824 ETA with gen insert and a SMP GMT ETA with gen insert. I've since chaned the GMT to a blue gen insert, Lume is needed on both watches though, but since I sleep at night it isn't that big of a deal to me. Thanks to Kevin I have more projects to do, just waiting for a rainy day, Sunny days us farmers have to be outside.

DSC_0386.jpgDSC_0780.jpg