When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A Speedmaster Moon Watch with the "bulbe" glass?

laltromondo

Hi,

I am new here, and I was reading "By-Tor's" excellent Omega guide. In that guide he shows a picture of a Omega Speedmaster Black Moon Watch Seagull ST-19 hand wind, with a black leatherstrap. I have read each and every "Trusted Dealers" posts, but I have not found any Moon Watch with the "bulbe/curved" glass, only the flat. So my question now is,...from what dealer can I purchase the Moon Watch replica with the "bulbed" dialcover glass? :)

clipboard015nq.jpg

Edited by laltromondo

I swapped the crystal for a plexi on my ST19 manual wind Speedy rep after reading about FXRandy doing the same thing. As mentioned above, tthe plexi came from Cousins UK. Be careful which Speedy rep you order since there appears to be more than one version now. You will need to glue in a slightly undersized plexi because the bezel insert has a smaller diameter than the bezel itself. It looks pretty good though. Here are some pictures:

100_3776.jpg

100_3768.jpg

100_3022.jpg

Edited by Five of Clubs
  • Like 1

Sorry for the slow response! The plexi is indeed a 34.0mm, and the watch originally came from MR (but I don't think they are a trusted dealer on the forums any longer). A friend of mine recently had a difficult time finding this version of the Speedy, and in fact never did. I doubt that helps, but good luck. :)

I'm not sure they are available anymore, the only one recently with the domed crystal is the watcheden quartz version, it's not a bad rep for the price.

I used to recommend the quartz Speedy, too, until some genius decided to bollix up its dial. Now the 6 o'clock register reads "15/30/45/60" while the sub@3 has "8/16/24"!

• 3 months later...

Hey guys,

I'm looking at the Lemania hand wind movements on silix's site. Is that the best speedmaster Rep with a hand wind movement available at the moment?

I'd like to get a hand-wind movement if possible (and I can find one that is reliable). However let me know if I want a reliable movement if I need to just get a speed master rep with a 7750 Valjoux...

Seems a bit sacreligious... And I'd definitely get a kick out of it. But I'm not planning on being in zero gravity anytime soon.

I think we might be on our own.

I have wanted a moon watch for years. Now that I have found the world of replica watches, I'll buy one the day I find it.

Feel free to ping me if you find something worthwhile.

Right now it looks like I'm either getting a Lemania hand wind or an asian 7750 automatic.

• 2 weeks later...

Replaced the reduced rep flat saphire with a gen omega crystal of the correct size it made a big difference to the appearance the saphire just destorts the dial here are some quick photos!

post-27094-0-28547100-1347198958_thumb.j

post-27094-0-63197600-1347199067_thumb.j

post-27094-0-87651800-1347199275_thumb.j

post-27094-0-34431800-1347199373_thumb.j

post-27094-0-45791000-1347199667_thumb.j

That looks good aero.

Thanks KMAC! the glass is the only mod done i got rid of the none correct bracelet anyway most older speedys are on leather straps i would like to fit a solid backcase instead of the crystal clear backcase does anyone know if a gen vintage backcase fits on the reduced rep?

I don't have a picture, but I bought one from Silix with the flat crystal, and swapped with an OEM Omega Domed Hesalite crystal. It would not fit out of the box. I had to sand the bottom and the sides of the crystal to get it to fit. Then had to glue it in. I also painted the area near the rehaut a flat black with acrylic paint. It looks great now. I also have a bunch of the crystals ranging from 34-36mm from cousins that I didn't use. I'll probably sell these some day.

So to answer your question, it can be done, but before trying this, make sure you know of a good local watch smith that can help if you get stuck.

T.

• 3 weeks later...

Aero's looks great!

I bought mine a few years ago already modded, but sadly they did a poor job.

They got glue fumes (superglue?) on the inside of one edge of the crystal and it's permanently fogged. When I bought it, it looked like the fogging was on the outside and would sand/buff off.

They ended up not being the case. Yet another project I need to do but haven't gotten around to.....but will someday :)

You can see it on the bottom left.

4b827435.jpg

Aero's looks great!

I bought mine a few years ago already modded, but sadly they did a poor job.

They got glue fumes (superglue?) on the inside of one edge of the crystal and it's permanently fogged. When I bought it, it looked like the fogging was on the outside and would sand/buff off.

They ended up not being the case. Yet another project I need to do but haven't gotten around to.....but will someday :)

You can see it on the bottom left.

4b827435.jpg

woof thats great looking watch and i love the mesh bracelet i had one of those on my plo-prof yours looks like you have dished subdials? my do not iv ordered one of those nasa cloth straps and im thinking if the watch proved a good movement i will fit a gen nasa backcase if it fits and a gen bracelet but i have to decide if the watch is worth the 300usd costs to do this!

Thanks

Mine keeps great time with the manual lemania copy, no problems in over two years.

Yes I believe my subdials are a little dished. I only had it on the mesh a short time. Right now it's on a gen Seamaster bracelet. It just needs the crystal replaced and maybe a solid caseback like what your doing.

Thanks

Mine keeps great time with the manual lemania copy, no problems in over two years.

Yes I believe my subdials are a little dished. I only had it on the mesh a short time. Right now it's on a gen Seamaster bracelet. It just needs the crystal replaced and maybe a solid caseback like what your doing.

That australian ebay seller has a lot of omega as im sure you know he has gen speedy bracelets wonder why there are no rep correct bracelets available

I had an extra gen 1171 that I put on my speedy. I like that bracelet a lot.

Yes I'm familar with watchco/ watchadoo guys. They have lots if great stuff :)

if i could find a movement i can buy a gen new oldstock case,dial,bracelet from these guys i think that ofri had one now that would make a great build apart from the movement you would have a brand new vintage speedy