When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New member with a question

Grazuh

Hello everyone. I was directed here by a member on another watch forum. I recently purchased a 104 and I'm doing my best to verify authenticity. I was told the members on this forum know just about everything there is to know about spotting a replica. I can't post pictures yet because of my noob status, so I'll tell you couple of things about it.

The date function on the watch flips quickly a couple of minutes after midnight. It doesn't slowly change over 30 minutes or so.

I did receive a COSC certificate with the watch and the numbers match the numbers on the movement.

Does anyone know if either of these indicate its authenticity? Is there anything else I should look for?

Thanks for your help.

Here is how to post a pic, even a noob can do it.

Take a nice photo of the dial, one showing the Crownguard and one more of the caseback.

photobucket.com

upload your pictures to photobucket

copy the IMG of said pictures, 1 IMG per image hosted on photobucket

paste the IMG links to this thread and your done, very simple.

I new to all this but one thing I notices is the blue screws. If it was authentic then the blue in the screws is caused from a heating and cooling process that makes the metal blue. If that were the case the entire screw should be blue. In your pic the screws are blue but the slots are silver which means they were painted or died and it's a fake. You'll want to get someone with more experience to verify that.

Btw: that OP III movement doesn't look right to me. The other OP IIIs I've seen have panerai engraved into them repeatedly. This doesn't seem to have any. And it doesn't appear to have an incabloc either (but I'm no expert at seeing the incabloc to be honest).

More experienced members should chime in, but if I was offered to buy that as genuine, I'd probably refuse.

May I point out that the Swiss ETA 7750 changes dates slowly over the course of 3 hours. The Asian 7750 copy has a unique improvement wherein the date snaps over neatly at 00:00 hours.

Does Officine Panerai also install this improvement in their modified ETA 7750 movements?

But what about the engraved serial number on the winding bridge ... if it's an Asian movement .. what then?

And why isn't the Cannon Pin ground flat? Only stock ETA/Clone movements are pointed as this one is.

disclaimer: I am no Panerai guy .. I just know as much as I know.

I think it is a gen but am not positive

The crown guard, dial and hands look really good to me

Not too up on my 104 reps but if this an I series I assume a rep would be a couple of years old and not have the regulator yours has so if nothing else it would be a rep with a eta 7750. Caseback engraving looks good too

I am really not positive but it looks gen

Some pics of the opIII movement do have engraving repeated as long kaiser mentioned

But I think panerai made the movement both ways and yours looks good to me based on some pictures of the gen movement

The hands are the biggest thing telling me gen right now, usually the rep hands have rough edges and your hands look perfect the lume also looks very evenly applied most reps up close don't look so even

Edited by rogerthat