When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A look at the Royal Oak Jumbo White SS/SS

A few weeks ago, I was looking at the calender application on my iPhone and I said to myself, Well, it looks like I have a birthday party on the waterfront to attend on June 2nd. What kind of clothing should I wear? More importantly, what watch should I wear to go with that clothing? :g: Should I go with my Sturmanskie Gagarin, or my Submariner Rep, or even my Planet Ocean Rep? Hmmm...it seems that I've worn these on outings far too often with my college friends, so why not try something new? That's when I hopped onto Andrew's site and looked around and what caught my eye was the Audemars Piguet Jumbo White on Stainless Steel. I originally planned to get the White Dial on Rose Gold with a leather band but Andrew emailed me back telling me that the factory was out.

I won't pretend that I know a lot about Audemars Piguet's history, or how this replica is accurate in comparison to the genuine watch (I leave that up to you guys :tongue: ), because I honestly don't. What I can give you guys is my thoughts on this watch as someone who loves to wear watches.

post-43158-0-34815000-1338441510_thumb.j

The Royal Oak Jumbo White on Stainless Steel Replica has a 39mm dial featuring sapphire crystal glass on a stainless steel bezel. The thickness of the dial comes in around 9mm making this a slim profile watch. When fitted for my 6.5 inch wrist, the watch weighs approximately 4/10 of a pound (about 181 grams). The watch is not heavy on the wrist but maintains a feeling of solidity due to it's small size. The face is decorated with a square tapasserie pattern adorned with stick markers and slim hands. I like simple watch faces and this is one of the best I've seen. It's easily readable at even an almost 180 degree angle from my eyes despite the flat crystal.

post-43158-0-86775000-1338441515_thumb.j

The watch features an exhibition case back showcasing a Swiss ETA 2824-2 automatic movement with an Audemars Piguet logo embellished on the rotor. It is interesting to note that the exhibition case back has a higher pitch sound when tapped comparative to the front glass however it is not as high pitched as some of my other watches with mineral glass. I am unsure as to whether the exhibition case back glass is sapphire or not as I have not conducted a water droplet test. My watch has gained approximately +2 seconds/day in the time that this replica has been in my possession.

post-43158-0-32920200-1338441534_thumb.j

The deployant clasp is shown above. The clasp is two sided and it requires the 12 o'clock side to be pushed in before the 6 o'lock.

post-43158-0-03773700-1338441521_thumb.j

The clasp in the closed position.

post-43158-0-04289800-1338441555_thumb.j

I remember I was told by a jeweler when I was younger that if I was push down on the tab before placing the ball into the clasping mechanism, it prevents damage to the clasp, however I find this much more difficult to do with a two sider. Perhaps this is because this sort of clasping mechanism is entirely new to me.

post-43158-0-76511500-1338441542_thumb.j

If you are to close the clasp entirely and set the watch down on a table, this is what happens. If you're going to store this watch in something other than a watch winder when you're not wearing it, it will take up more room than it needs.

post-43158-0-34586800-1338441527_thumb.j

I find that this watch is easily wearable no matter if you are dressing up or dressing down. The royal oak jumbo may be a sports watch but I find the hexagonal shape to be a compliment tucked under a long sleeved work shirt or a dress shirt. It even looks nice while you wear short sleeves too (shown above)!

post-43158-0-70590400-1338441547_thumb.j

My jumbo next to my sub!

Final thoughts? I've already received a few comments from onlookers on my college campus complimenting the watch. I find this watch is more noticeable than the black submariner rep that I own (shown above). Was this a good buy for me? I would like to think so.

I'll update you guys later on what the watch's reception is at the party :fishing1:

post-43158-0-68099600-1338441537_thumb.j

Nice review and thanks for the pictures, especially the wristie. I also have a 6.5 inch wrist so it's nice to see that a 15300 fits well. The next one in the sales corner from the EU will definitely have my name on it. :)

Enjoy your RO and have fun at that party!

almost guarantee its mineral. h factory apparently advertises their casebacks as sapphire, even though they're mineral. i'm fairly certain that if the h factory doesnt even use sapphire with their casebacks, then just about no rep factory would

almost guarantee its mineral. h factory apparently advertises their casebacks as sapphire, even though they're mineral. i'm fairly certain that if the h factory doesnt even use sapphire with their casebacks, then just about no rep factory would

I think my V6 HBB has a sapphire caseback...

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

lalalobster,

Beautiful watch, good review. Not an accuracy junky myself quality of piece how it wears are my thing (like you wouldn't know anyway nor would anyone around my area). I will need something for one of my sons (bday) and due to wrist size was looking for a good fit on a smaller wrist (no offense), this fits the bill.

• Like 1