When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

I want this Datejust!

maxse

SO after much thinking I decided to go with a datejust for my Rolex Rep, mostly due to accuracy and the fact that I want to have a polished mid link watch.

After seeing this pic on a gen forum I'm sold

rolex%20dj.jpg

Could you guys tell if this is a white dial or silver dial?

Also, how accurate would a rep be of this watch? I would try to find a gen dial like that to drop into the rep. What do you guys think? How accurate is the 'Rolex' engraving on the Rehaut on these things?

I have friends who wear gens so that would be important for me. Thanks again everyone

So you are looking for a 116200 then? Hard to be sure, but this is probably the Rhodium (silver) dial.

In general, the Rolex engraved rehauts are not very accurate on reps. If that is important to you, then you are looking at the wrong series. Would still recommend you go with an older series (16200 if you want a smooth bezel). You'll lose the polished center links on an Oyster bracelet, but the watch will be more accurate.

Gen 'sticks' dials as opposed to Roman dials will also be more reasonably priced when it comes to buying a gen dial. Since you'll have to cut the feet off the dial to install it, that's a factor in the decision making process for many people. You should probably reach out to JMB. Check his posts on franken DateJust builds. Lots of good information there.

It's a silver dial and I thought it was an excellent rep when I owned one. I had it a couple years ago before I started building franken DJ's.

BTW, I've still got that gen dial that I'm not using if you decide to build one. I had it in a franken for a while before I switched it out to a stick dial.

Thanks guys, I'm still unsure about all the model numbers (I though all SS Datejusts are 16200).

I don't care much if it has the engraving or not HOWEVER, what I do want are:

1) Polished center link

2) Smooth Bezel

I think those 2 are only made on the Datejusts with the engravings on the Rehaut? Are they that bad? Is the font at least correct on it?

I went to an AD today and tried it on and infact liked the White Dial with the Roman numerals best, and that's the one that I would like.

So how accurate would it be with those things and a gen white dial

Here's a picture of one from a couple of years ago that I had. I thought it was great at the time but now the Rolex crown looks a little off. Not sure if it's the picture or what. In fact looking at it again. it kinda sucked.

DSCN2394.jpg

Edited by kbh

watch looks beautiful KBH! I'm not familiar with the datejusts enough to see flaws though. Is that a MOP dial? Looks very nice.

So I've pretty much decided on the Datejust I with smooth bezel and polished midlinks.

-did they ever make it with polished links and NO engraving?

If not, how accurate is it right now, that's my main question. Equivalent to today's super reps? I would throw in a gen dial on it.

Would I need a new crystal as well (to fix the date mag I guess?). If so probably clark's crystal.

What do you guys think?

*edit* budget is about $800

No, that's a silver dial, not MOP. Any dealer can get a very decent one with that dial, I believe. Just send them a picture and ask.

I don't know about the polished mid links question but I've never been too concerned about that. There are soooo many different DJ's and there's no reason that a gen owner couldn't swap out the bracelet. It's not really a tell.

The expensive part of the franken is the white gold bezel. They are now going for close to $300. JMB has made some pretty awesome SS smooth bezels from what I've seen. Maybe you could contact him and ask him about building you a custom DJ, If he's interested, I'll throw in the gen dial for next to nothing and you could come out way under $800 I would think.

Wow, KBH, thank you so much! You're amazing, that's very nice of you!

We have a truly great community here guys.

I'm assuming JMB is his username on here? I will send him a pm.

Good thing I don't like the fluted white gold bezel :)

In case he isn't willing to build one for me, if I do get the one with the engravings, how inaccurate are they? Would it be an obvious tell if one were to hold it up close and look at it?

guys so assuming I can't have a franken build with the gen 116200 case.

How accurate is the rep? I'm still not getting a clear answer from you guys. What are the flaws of this thing assuming I drop in a gen dial? Can it stand up to scrutiny against a gen?

Guest watch4king

That's not a silver dial. It's a white porcelain dial with silver roman numerals. I have seen several reps with that dial and having owned a gen with the same dial I can say the reps are pretty close

Thanks, but what about the rest of the watch? I will most likely be putting in a gen dial in. My question is about the accuracy of the rest of the watch. Dimensions, markings, magnification of the date, date font and crown etc..

You must remember when worrying about things like rehaut engraving how hard they are to see without studying the watch. You have to look at the right angle. Most gen owners have no clue, they walk into a store and buy one that looks nice, they do not obsess over font differences the way we do.

The biggest giveaway of a fake watch is simply if you know it is unlikely that the wearer coils actually afford one. If you have a good job, no one will for a second doubt that you are wearing a genuine Rolex.

When my secretary turns up at work with a Hermes bag, I do not need to do any elaborate checks to tell if it is real or not.

Yeah I see what you mean and agree about the engravings.

Do they just not line up correct? Or is the font incorrect?

The only issue is I have 2 friends that buy and sell used watches which could get a bit annoying...

So the rest of the case is spot on right? Crystal height, etc...

What about the crystal and mag are they spot on? I'm thining the laser-etched crown may be visible on the rep so I would need to swap out for a Clark crystal?

The only issue is I have 2 friends that buy and sell used watches which could get a bit annoying...

Maxse ... this says it all, and you keep repeating it. Seriously, just stop, and go buy a gen or have one of those guys help you find you a used one. Failing that, you need to build (or buy) a franken that has all gen parts except the movement.

You are clearly wanting a watch that will survive the inspection of two people that know the model, and will likely be able to easily spot a replica of the model you say you have to have to be happy. You wouldn't be asking all the detailed questions you are asking if you were not worried about being called out by your friends. Don't think you are not going to have to take it off your wrist and show it to them if they are buyers and sellers of used watches. It's going to get a close inspection, and a rep (especially one with rehaut engraving and the bracelet you want) is not going to get you there with just a dial swap.

If you were just hanging out or working with others where that watch would fit in, or are willing to tell your friends up front that it's a rep, you would probably be fine. That doesn't appear to be what you are looking for though.

Edited by tomhorn

Thanks Tomhorn, you may be right. Although I never take off my watches, ever... They're more like acquaintances...

I have a PAM 005 right now that no one could tell is a rep at all, even by people that own gens... So I am just wondering if the rep of the datejust would be the same... Especially the fact that there are soo many datejusts out there, I would think it would be difficult to tell with a nice rep.

Especially if I add a gen dial, clark crystal and maybe a gen crown?

Maxse ... this says it all, and you keep repeating it. Seriously, just stop, and go buy a gen or have one of those guys help you find you a used one. Failing that, you need to build (or buy) a franken that has all gen parts except the movement.

You are clearly wanting a watch that will survive the inspection of two people that know the model, and will likely be able to easily spot a replica of the model you say you have to have to be happy. You wouldn't be asking all the detailed questions you are asking if you were not worried about being called out by your friends. Don't think you are not going to have to take it off your wrist and show it to them if they are buyers and sellers of used watches. It's going to get a close inspection, and a rep (especially one with rehaut engraving and the bracelet you want) is not going to get you there with just a dial swap.

If you were just hanging out or working with others where that watch would fit in, or are willing to tell your friends up front that it's a rep, you would probably be fine. That doesn't appear to be what you are looking for though.

I've been doing some reading all day and it seems like if I get an engraved rehaut with 'M' serial the only flaws are the dial, and 18K stamped on the caseback which can be brushed out.

Seems pretty good to me and I doubt anyone is even going to see something off in the rehaut engraving being that it's so small. Am I missing something?

Guest watch4king

I had one I got from River. Excellent dial, no rehaut engravings. The date wheel was good but could be better. You could switch with one of TC's new batch. The datejust is gen like construction and can even accept gen crystals.

Mine had a smooth bezel with an oyster bracelet and the ETA movement. Another one I regret selling...

I just purchased a franken datejust but i feel the datewheel cyclops mag is way off.. The numbers look WAY to magnified.. It's a gen crystal/cyclops (supposedly) and I purchased it off a member of this forum!

Everything in it is gen besdies the movement.. (braclet, crown, dial, etc)..

Can anyone help me out in remediying this awful 'tell' ? I feel like it screams rep with the poor over-sized magnification

I may be wrong, but I'm a rolex newb !

I've got 3 and the one pictured below always looked too magnified to me until I looked closely at it next to my buddies gen and it was pretty much spot on. Now I know the other two are a little weak. Of course these are all plexi crystals and they may show larger than the sapphire due to the cyclops sitting higher off the watch face. Never checked that since date fonts are way over analyzed in my opinion and I usually don't fret over them.

Correct:

DJ16014.jpg

Too small:

DSCN4809.jpg

Show us a picture but I wouldn't worry too much about it unless it's huge. I was surprised.

it was solid to me as gen crystal and cyclops, it may not be.. At this point I just want to rectify it and make it look better, Im open to buying what i need to for it.. Ill post a pic in a bit...

it's a lot bigger then the one u posted, the numbers look a bit too blown up

I'm actually horrible at modding i'm fairly new to the whole scene, i have a very UNSTEADY hand so I wouldn't even want to mess with it...

kbh can I pm you the picture of it and you can verify the issue?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Ive built 2 of these with the same dial, engraved rehaut, domed smooth bezel, polished center bracelet, new slide lock buckle, and the people who bought them love them. If you really want to pick it apart I suppose you could. However I think a nice dj, waterproof, with the correct cyclops and calender wheel for $450 is an excellent buy.